Was this the works NBA season ever?

2,958 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Faustus
slatermikan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't follow ratings, but have been a hoops junkie for 45 years and can't recall a season that felt like it never even happened. Injuries, rest and more focus on off-court drama all seem to make this a yawner.
This may be due to my not having a team or player that I folllow, but I hope the playoffs turn things around.
MookieBlaylock
AG
1956 was worse
So second worse
Dan Scott
AG
This season had the most parody of any season I can remember. I today can't tell you with confidence who will be in the finals. Every team to me is a blah. It makes me think super teams might actually be good for the NBA. I like watching dominating performance or cheer against dominating team.

But the Rockets absolutely suck so my perception of of this was a great season is also tainted.
Dan Scott
AG
Very few likeable stars in the league also. With the exception of Giannis and Tatum, these players just aren't likeable. Luka was a huge disappointment this season
slatermikan
MookieBlaylock said:

1956 was worse
So second worse
Bop Petit tore it up though..
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Not the worst at all. Had some great on-the-court product/drama. The Grizzlies became infinitely hatable, the Nets implosion, Giannis/Jolie/Embiid MVP debate, individual scoring volume like I've never seen before, Paolo, etc.

With that said, the NBA 100% has a regular season problem and new(ish) to this year, an All-Star game/weekend problem. The off-the-court stuff (though not a new thing) seemed to get a hotter spotlight this year, the media coverage (Perkins, Jalen Rose, even TNT) was the worst in years, the load management/rest thing, and the ASG getting as close to Pro Bowl territory as I've ever seen it.

I'd call it a wash, but there are some massive issues that have already existed but became uglier this year.
Unemployed
AG
Dan Scott said:

This season had the most parody of any season I can remember. I today can't tell you with confidence who will be in the finals. Every team to me is a blah. It makes me think super teams might actually be good for the NBA. I like watching dominating performance or cheer against dominating team.

But the Rockets absolutely suck so my perception of of this was a great season is also tainted.
Even though you misspelled parity, parody fits, too.
Iowaggie
AG
This season had all the California teams make the playoffs (assuming Lakers get out of Play-In), and none of the Texas teams. The play of top 3-4 teams in Eastern Conference has been solid, but most people here do not care about most NBA outside their team, which is fairly normal, so it's not helping that 2/3rds of the Texas teams have been trying to lose, and one-third won the day's headline by signing Kyrie, and then fizzled. The two biggest downers about this season are the number of big contract guys that don't play enough and the non-interest of several teams trying to win, and not just the tanking teams.

superunknown
AG
Maybe worse on the court (no judgment here or there) but parity is definitely a reason why nobody stands out.

As long as they're making money I wouldn't expect anything to change, though.

Enzo The Baker
AG
Skewed by the Spurs Dome game.
Dan Scott
AG
Only 4 of the 20 scorers played 70+ games this years. Wow
Iowaggie
AG
Congrats to the NBA for finally getting to celebrate getting all 4 California teams in the playoffs.
Hardly any help along the way.

superunknown
AG
Ya know, f it. I'm rooting for the Kings. Mike Brown is a good dude and an impressively large human and Sacramento has been utter garbage since the Vlade/Peja/Webber/White Chocolate days.

LIGHT THE BEAM
Iowaggie
AG
Would like to hear how Mike Brown would rank the players he has coached (assist or head, not including Olympics):

With Spurs: Duncan, Robinson, Manu, Parker
Pacers: Reggie Miller
Cavs: LeBron, a shell of Shaq, Kyrie
Lakers: Kobe & Pau, and 5 games of Nash & Howard
Warriors: Curry & Durant

The all Mike Brown lineup:

Curry
Kobe
LeBron
Durant
Duncan

with Robinson, Pau, Reggie Miller coming off the bench. Aged superstars Shaq, Nash and Howard babysitting young Kyrie on bench.
superunknown
AG
Good lord that all time Mike Brown team is salty. Recency bias or not, I'd take my chances with em.
Iowaggie
AG
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
For the first time in a million years, I actually have no qualms about any of the end-of-season award winners. All these dudes deserved it.
Iowaggie
AG

superunknown
AG
Mama there goes that man....yes, an idiot.

Iowaggie
AG
Here's his list:

The Pilot
AG
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
The fact that he even apologized just made it all worse. Should've stuck to his guns and said 'F it, I have a vote and the rest of y'all don't and this is why I voted this way.'

The apology just removed all doubt for his incompetence.
Faustus
I bet he forgot about Dre too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.