I wonder what the NBA League Pass immediate cancellation rate is....

2,199 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by superunknown
Four Seasons Landscaping
How long do you want to ignore this user?
...after everyone realizes they can't actually watch the team they probably subscribed for.

What a pile of crap.

The NBA is at least half a decade behind in picking up the cord-cutting trend.
Yellerjacket
It's the same way with MLB TV and NHL Center Ice. Nobody has figured out how to do TV. Even the NFL still has stupid blackout rules.
Iowaggie
AG
It's an archaic way of thinking, especially now in the digital age when the games can be illegally streamed on the Internet.

Even when baseball started on the radio, many owners would only allow away games to be broadcast. NFL, NBA, and MLB owners have believed that broadcasting to the home market damages home attendance, and maybe it does a little bit. But I think it is way more damaging to be out of sight in one's own market. There are thousands of shows on streaming, plus video games and social media. Out of sight is not a great way to build a fan base.

I wish the NBA would introduce a "Super League Pass" that allowed the viewer to get any game broadcast on any network, including current League Pass teams, plus ESPN/ABC, TNT, and the local team. I don't expect that will ever be done
Guitarsoup
AG
I think it is because of TNT/ESPN - they can't do it the way they should.

Since I am in Houston, I can barely watch Rockets games on it, but can watch Spurs and Mavs.

Almost better to just go on youtube to get highlights later.
superunknown
AG
I can't watch the game tonight because League Pass considers me in the Memphis (also New Orleans and Atlanta) area because the game is available on Bally which I get (Bally South and Bally Southeast) via Spectrum.

Picture is my channel guide. You can see that neither Bally offering has the game. Also, for what it's worth, the "Icons" show? Yeah it's not even that. They're showing some WPT bs.

Bally/Sinclair has totally fubared any chance at being anything worth a damn, Spectrum isn't much better (guessing Bally doesn't gaf about updating Spectrums feed info bc they're cheap af) but I honestly expect the NBA to drastically revamp OTT options in the next media deal. They'll wind up subsidizing something or working something out much like the NHL did with crossover carriage agreements for OTT at the minimum. Secondary media deals are all over the effing place in the NBA and some teams (Utah and Phoenix for sure, probably more) went with straight up local broadcast partners because their cable partners were somehow worse than Bally. I believe Tegna even got more local Spurs games on KENS and whatever because Bally sucks so bad. Too many missed payments from Bally, etc.
Carlo4
AG
I have spectrum and can watch every mavs/rangers games on Bally.
superunknown
AG
If I squint really hard this Nets-Hornets game on Bally sports southeast still doesn't look like the Hawks-Spurs game that I can't watch on League Pass because its..available on Bally sports southeast, I guess.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.