***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

828,201 Views | 17822 Replies | Last: 36 sec ago by texasaggie2015
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Might be time to explore a platoon at third base.

Booma94
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Is it just the anger at the lack of Maldonado's hitting that makes people question everything about his value?

I have never understood the raging denial that he might have been worth something significant to the pitching staff.

Using the White Sox current pitching staff as a reason that Maldonado isn't a good catcher is pretty myopic. The White Sox are tanking for draft picks, and have already started Lee more than Maldy. If anything, they signed him in order to trade him to team that needs help with pitching inconsistency come July/August.

Certainly his absence has not turned the Astros from contender to pretender all by itself.

But you guys steadfastly refuse to believe the fact that Pressly, Abreu (the less ****ty one), Brown, France, Verlander, and Valdez all having significantly higher ERAs than last year could possibly have to do with a change with the guy behind the plate?

For a community where so many people thrive on analytics, that seems like a blatant omission based on personal dislike of a former player.

It's not just the hitting. His defense last year was subpar. Thinking Maldy's absence has such a huge effect on this years team doesn't explain Hader's drop-off. And to say that Brown and Valdez didn't regress last year despite Maldy's presence is revisionist history.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Previously I would never say this, but I'm all in on IF Breggy can turn it around before all star break, we trade him for some prospects.
MaxPower
If he doesn't turn it around you can't trade him for anything. Thats the rub, you need him to play better (to get more wins and to increase his trade value)
MaxPower
I know the Nats are a frequent comparison for the Astros. At 19-31, they were 8.5 games out of the wild card. The tombstone Astros were 10.5 games back so actually more impressive. Seems like 10 games back is the farthest you can realistically fall.
tjack16
AG
MaxPower said:

I know the Nats are a frequent comparison for the Astros. At 19-31, they were 8.5 games out of the wild card. The tombstone Astros were 10.5 games back so actually more impressive. Seems like 10 games back is the farthest you can realistically fall.

That team had two bonafide aces plus Patrick Corbin who had a 3.30 ERA. We don't have one ace right now based on performance. That's the big difference. They had the pitching in place and healthy.

Also Juan Soto and Rendon combined for 70 HR and 240 RBI that season for them.
The Porkchop Express
tjack16 said:

MaxPower said:

That team had two bonafide aces plus Patrick Corbin who had a 3.30 ERA. We don't have one ace right now based on performance. That's the big difference. They had the pitching in place and healthy.

Also Juan Soto and Rendon combined for 70 HR and 240 RBI that season for them.
Based on current trends, I'm assuming Soto had 68 HR and 237 RBI that year.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
texasaggie2015
AG
Gotta love overtime playoff hockey. Two awesome games last night. Two more good ones tonight.

I'm going to pretend like this team doesn't exist. Baseball season hasn't started.
First Page Refresh
Page 510 of 510

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.