Texas A&M Ranks Top In Texas Publics For ROI

2,508 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by Happy Kuykendahl
MidnightBevo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
This is why I can't take tceh's "push for Tier 1" seriously. The majority of their students/alumni don't even know what it actually pertains to.

Hint: It has absolutely nothing to do with USNWR rankings.

Care to elaborate? Tier 1 is a designation among rankings, most notably USNWR.
goodAg80
AG
The only statistic I care about is what I am making. And while the male prostitution business is tougher at my age, I can still afford TWO stars, so suck on that you losers.

AgMBA09
quote:
Care to elaborate? Tier 1 is a designation among rankings, most notably USNWR.

They're trying to become Tier 1 in the eyes of the THECB ($150 million research expenditures, 100+ annual doctorates, 15+ doctoral disciplines), the Carnegie Foundation (RU/VH, similar requirements), the AAU (neither are going to be invited anytime soon), and the CMUP.

USNWR has nothing to do with it. If you thumb through all that UH has published on the issue (which I more or less have, my first job after undergrad was at UH, so I have some interest in what they're doing), I doubt you would find USNWR mentioned even once.

It's likely if and when UH or Tech declare "Mission Accomplished", they'll both still be Tier 4 and Tier 3 by USNWR, though UH (not sure about Tech) has set in place objectives to increase average SAT scores, retention rates, grad rates, etc. comparable to UT/A&M, so it's possible they may get a bump in USNWR. It's not the main objective, though. USNWR's system isn't very credible IMO, anyway.

UH is currently well ahead of Tech. They've got a hell of a driven leader in Khator, who is a proven and prolific fundraiser, and if and when she gets the Houston business community more behind them, they'll blow Tech away.

[This message has been edited by AgMBA09 (edited 7/8/2010 12:21a).]
Muy
AG
quote:
UH (note ranked 394) - Sorry Aggie, I know this will get you extremely pissed because you continue to say they are closer to Tier 1 than Tech

This is the equivalent of us sitting on top of a mountain, and getting pissed because we were wrong as to which dog turd at base camp might smell worse. We really don't care, but thanks for bringing up your useless point.
FroggieBreath
Sadly I went to TCU and don't make the money of Aggies..... not even of sips.

But my baseball team kicks arse.
crusty clam
Ho ****ing hum.
Jackass2004
AG
quote:
You do get a strong ROI at A&M(and UT for that matter)

Ahh yes, get used to putting your school in parenthesis after you mention us.
MidnightBevo
MBA09,

Difference of terminology I guess. What you list I'm used to being referred to as "national research insitution/university". And you're right that is very different than Tier 1 in a ranking system. I disagree that the ranking system isn't credible though. It is just a different measurement that includes but is not strongly predicated on research, doctorates, etc.

Even more erroneous than the lack of understanding of the difference between those two is that many also think "Flagship" is interchangeable with Tier 1, or research institution. "Flagship" means very little beyond the system you are the flagship of. In fact UH main campus and Tech-Lubbock campus are already flagships of a system. I think it hurts them more than it helps them.
GQTEXASAGGIE
AG
#1 in the nation, not just Texas.
Happy Kuykendahl
Bonnie?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.