Serious question about conference choice

6,113 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by maroon barchetta
Rongagin71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Payouts are good, is there a line for crumbs?
JWinTX
I also loved the SWC, as well as the original Big 12. But college sports changed, with money from TV leading that charge. When it's all said and done, the top 48 brands will breakaway. And most of those Big 12 teams won't be in that. Now, if the breakaway is the top 60 brands, then many of them will get included, including Tech, OSU, KSU, etc.
chlavinka
AG
Take off those maroon shades. Very successful is a stretch. Marginally successful, maybe.
NewEra2023
AG
Lol oh honey
NewEra2023
AG
Skubalon said:

Glad I could make your day. A&M has been spectacularly successful since joining the SEC, so I totally see your point.

From a revenue and exposure standpoint yea. And half of that is due to JFF.
NewEra2023
AG
Skubalon said:

Texas velvet maestro said:

A&M is not a huge school with lots of resources?

It is, and has all of the qualities you mentioned, along with academic standards, whereas the schools you mentioned don't have all.
A&M unquestionably has a lot of money and resources.

The question, in my mind anyway as it relates to this thread, is whether A&M actually has any more money or resources than the other power schools in the SEC. In the Big 12, A&M is a wealthy and powerful school. In the SEC, I would think that A&M would be on par with the other big schools, but unlikely any (or at least noticeably) better, stronger, or richer.

Probably a question of whether one would rather be the biggest fish in a smaller pond, or an average fish in a big lake. Or some crap like that.

I like and admire A&M, but I think A&M made a mistake going to the SEC. It's been 20+ years I think since A&M won a conference title, and I don't know when Aggies would think they would be likely to win one in the SEC. Even if a school (any school) won the SEC every 5 years, that would be considered pretty damn successful, or so I would think. But when there are at least 6 (and more likely 8) schools with equal power, money, and tradition in your conference, winning every 5 years is far from a guarantee.

I think if I were an Aggie fan I would see being in the SEC as a source of frustration. Especially moreso now that Texas and OU have joined.

The only thing that will get in A&M's way is A&M. If Texas comes in and tilts things in their favor it's only because A&M let them.

This isn't the Big12. OU and Texas will have the same chair as everyone else.
Jimbo4win
AG
Skubalon said:

I'm sitting here watching Mestchicken play Blablablama and thinking to myself how tired I am of the same old teams playing for the MNC virtually every year and it got me wondering about the Aggies and your thoughts on your new conference mates.

Disclosure that I am an old guy and I really miss the SWC, and I really miss Tech being in the same conference with A&M.

Anyway: The upside is that whoever wins the SEC will likely make the CFP in its current state, and likely for the long-term future.

The downside is that to do that, you've got to beat out

Florida
Georgia
Alabama
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Texas

I don't follow the SEC well enough to know how long it has been since someone other than those top four won the conference, but it seems to my memory that it has been a long time, and pretty rare.

And as much as I ****ing hate Texas and OU, those six schools above are likely to be the prohibitive favorites year in and year out. Heck I don't know how many national titles are represented among those six, but I know it is a huge number.

So I am wondering: realistically, when do you good Ags think that you'll have a realistic shot at running that gauntlet? From the outside looking in, OU and Texas are entering the SEC stronger than A&M, and A&M is no better now than y'all were when you left the Big 12. Do you think that's accurate?

And I am wondering as well: given OU's and Texas admission to the SEC, would you ever want A&M to change conferences?

I know as a Tech fan that Tech won't ever be in the SEC, and I also know as a Tech fan that if they ever had the chance to do so, I would rather them stay put. I hate what the BDF has become. Hate it. But Tech will be competitive in the BDF and that gives us a slugger's chance that we wouldn't likely see in the SEC.

Affectionately yours,

Skubs/TechDiver

2001 asking how Apple feels about their future-and wondering aloud "how can Apple compete with the likes of IBM, Texas Instruments, Tandy, Panasonic and Radio Shack!??"" These are quite simply elite companies. Quirky little Apple just needs to stay in its lane..
Raiderjay
TommyBrady said:

My fav thing tech people say is that they would rather stay in the Big 12 than go to the SEC cuz it would be too hard. I couldn't imagine being afraid of competition so much that you would rather beat bad teams and celebrate it then play at the highest level on the biggest stage.

Who says that? I don't and no Tech people I Know so, doubt your sources
BillYeoman
Raiderjay said:

TommyBrady said:

My fav thing tech people say is that they would rather stay in the Big 12 than go to the SEC cuz it would be too hard. I couldn't imagine being afraid of competition so much that you would rather beat bad teams and celebrate it then play at the highest level on the biggest stage.

I don't know any Tech people who want to stay in the Big 12. Most Tech folks I know want to move to the Mountain West or AAC after UHpgrade moved into the neighborhood.

Hard to blame them…Go Coogs!
maroon barchetta
BillYeoman said:

Raiderjay said:

TommyBrady said:

I don't know any Tech people who want to stay in the Big 12. Most Tech folks I know want to move to the Mountain West or AAC after UHpgrade moved into the neighborhood.

Hard to blame them…Go Coogs!

They are just worried about getting carjacked or having their rims stolen.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.