Vince Young , worth re-posting

2,889 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by LonghornDub
Starkvegas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nobody said he wasn't good, however not everyone is ready to anoint him the next Montana/Elway/Aikman or even Messiah for some of you who enjoy fellating him so much.

What will you say after The miserable Texans disassemble his horrendous passing attack?
David_Puddy
AG
Where is the dumbass that ran all that smack on how bad Darnell was? He still has yet to own up to any of it.

posted 5:58p, 4/1/2006

Earlier this year, Franny fired his DC and offerred the job to the world hoping to get a former Broyles Award winner like we had in Austin. The world turned him down. In the end, he was stuck with the classic Aggie joke: Gary Darnell.

So lift yourself out of the muck and mire of Aggie abuse, son.

Play "Darnell".
LonghornDub
Starkvegas - Did you really say that? That no one said he wasn't good? Aggies never lie, cheat, or steal?

Puddycat - I'm right here. I don't judge old coaches on one game. I'm weird that way. I look at their whole career. Sorry. that's how I am.

Uva Uvum Vivendo Varia Fit

Sumus Tejas
Chinese Democracy
quote:
Puddycat

More sanskrit smack!
coalminer
aginkeller = Merrill Hoge???

some things you should know about the "not that bad last year" titans and about their burnt orange savior:

Titans avg'd 67.67 rush yds per game w/o VY starting.
They avg 155.89 rush yds per game w/ VY.

Tennessee's Defense currently ranks dead last in the NFL in terms of yards allowed and 3rd to last in terms of pts allowed.

Titan's record in their 19 games prior to VY was 3-16 and 6 of those losses were by double digits, 8 by more than a TD.

since VY's first start they are 5-4, 5-2 over his last 7, and two of their 4 losses were by 1 point each to teams w/ records of 10-2 & 9-3.

but y'all keep telling yourselves that the Titan's wins are all due to Travis Henry and that the Titan's weren't that bad before VY arrived and he doesn't really make his teammates play better and any QB could accomplish what he has.

his QB rating sucks. tell me though, where to 3rd and 4th down conversions on scrambles count in the QB rating equation?

VY has out rushed Reggie Bush this year in both total yards and yards per carry and rushing TD's.

he is the first QB in NFL history to lead 14+ point comebacks on consecutive weekends.

VY averages 6 ypc on the ground and has 4 rushing TD's. He has a better than 50% completion rate and 10 TD's through the air.

In the last two weeks his stat line reads:
19 rushes for 147 yards, 7.74 ypc, 1 rushing TD, 39 completions on 60 attempts for a 65% completion rate, 4 TD's and 2 INT's. did i mention 2-0 vs. the Manning bros and clearly he's been bagging aginkeller's momma on the side.

yeah, he's aight.
Objectivity
The point is...

He's not a great QB yet, but he might be. He is a great athlete and that's what will carry him for now. Being a great QB in the NFL is much different than being one in college.

Even though his ratings are very low, he'll get better. I like his chances.

[This message has been edited by Objectivity (edited 12/5/2006 8:57p).]
Texas velvet maestro
the point is that Vince is setting a new standard for the QB position. does rushing yardage play into QB ratings? last week the titans had 80 yards rushing and some huge 3rd down conversions that came from their QB. the week before they had 60 or 70 yards rushing, big 3rd down conversions and a TD on the ground, all from the QB position.

coalminer
the point is....

you were wrong when you said the following:

quote:
never thought that the Titans were that bad in spite of their record last year. Fisher is a good coach. In other words, he's not on a terrible team ala Troy Aikman in '89.

Aikman's team was 3-13, just like VY's. but he had a far better defense than VY. he also had Herschel Walker and a better group of WR's and o-line.

VY inherited:
  • 3-19
  • 32nd ranked defense
  • starless WR corps led by Drew Bennett and Bobby Wade
  • <68 ypg rushing offense

in just nine games against some of the NFL's top teams he's turned that miserable team into a >.500 ball club averaging >155 ypg.

you got one thing right, Fischer is a good coach. but then even aginkeller got one thing right too. VY can't fix the defense. still ranked dead last in the NFL. at least they were decent last weekend.
Mister T-Shirt
quote:
worth re-posting

Not really.

[This message has been edited by FE (edited 12/5/2006 10:25p).]
spanish Inquisition
I think it's about time to ttt some "Vince vs. Reggie" threads again.

quote:
Greg Davis is going to take Radio, an admittedly passing deficient QB, and make him into a passing QB?

The same coach who had a kid with all the talent in the nation at the time and made him a last pick of the third round draft day casualty because of 'lack of coaching'?

Are y'all seriously going to keep spouting off that he is going to be better this year?

- Frantastic Expectations
posted 8:03p, 7/23/2005
skinny2001
AG
quote:
They should have supported the team that ended up leaving town. And don't say it was because they hated the owner. Just think of how many people hate(d) Jerry Jones but still supported the organization.

you are a retard. The City of Dallas and the voting constintuancy (sp?) hate Jerry Jones. That is why they are building their new stadium in Arlington. Houston has a different municipal landscape than the Metroplex, there is no suburb that can afford hundreds of millions of dollars for new stadium.

Bud Adams bluffed and thought he would win, the county owed too much on the Dome and called his hand and Bud took his ball and went home. Just cuz the Cowboys have a loyal following doesn't mean they have a better relationship with their Cities' namesake than the Oilers did.
Chinese Democracy
quote:
I think it's about time to ttt some "Vince vs. Reggie" threads again

Good. I have dozens of Darnell and 12-7 threads on the back burner, ready to go.

"It's as if God reached down from heaven, stretched out His majestic arm, touched _ub on his "Good Sam Club" hat and said "Go forth and own thyself, you drooling pagan piece of crap!"

Objectivity
UT Velvet -

"Vince is setting a new standard for the QB position."

What would that be? We've seen Randall Cunningham, we've seen Michael Vick. You want to go further? Roger the Dodger wasn't too bad himself before he started taking too many shots.

Easy Big Velvet. Vince has great potential, but he has not blazed ANY new trail yet. Love the subjectivity though. Reminds me of my job.

(For the record, I'm a VY fan.)

[This message has been edited by Objectivity (edited 12/6/2006 10:21a).]
LonghornDub
Objectivity - I saw in the paper today that Tennessee has the worst defense in the AFC. Chris Perry is ranked around 6th in rushing. Somewhere I read that Vince is second in rushing for QB's to Vick. Anyone notice that UT's RB's have been less effective since Vince left? I believe Chris Perry is a whole lot better RB with Vince at QB.

In spite of their defense, they're 5-2 in their last seven games. That's incredible to me.

Throughout Vince's career at UT, and as close as I've been able to tell in the pros, he doesn't turn it on until he has to. He starts out running a pretty conventional offense in a game, but when it becomes necessary, he disappears into some invisible phone booth and reappears as SuperVince. Probably a better explanation is that he figures out the opposing defense for a while, and then takes advantage of the holes in it.

Tennessee, IMHO, will be dangerous as long Vince can stay healthy, even with the poor supporting cast. If he had the receivers from the TexAnnes, he might not have to run much.

Sumus Tejas
Objectivity
Dub -

Agree with all that you say.

Are you my 'Horn alter ego?

Best example of my agreement - VY doesn't turn it on until he has to. From the Okie State game in '04 on, this is exactly what he's been.

The '05 A&M game was one where he had a very avg game. Did the Ags have something to do with that? To degree. But I've always contended that he wasn't called upon to do anymore than he did. Sure it was close, but VY would have probably risen to the occasion had he needed to.

The two Rose Bowl games were un-'fnbelievable.
Disassociated
Thats pretty halfass for such a 'leader'
Objectivity
One other thing about Vince.

He seems like a really good guy. Not brash or mouthy. Seems humble and very likable.
LonghornDub
Agree with all of that. I really think he's trying to please the coaches and run their plays like they want them and get the other players involved - until it's crunch time. Then he just wins.

I also think he's a good kid, but not as good as his image. He's been taught real well by a lot of people what to say and how to act, and he executes the plan. When he was in high school, he had a few image questions, especially in dealing with his coaches, and his attitude was questioned when he first was recruited by Texas. He has cleaned the image up a lot since then.

Sumus Tejas
Texas velvet maestro
Dub &Ob, I'm in agreement about Vince taking it to another level when necessary. I think he hits the field trying to execute the game plan and please the coaches.

I really don't know if its conscious or unconscious, but at some point Vince just realizes what he has to do to win the game. And I don't know how he inspires field goal kickers to kick like champions, but he does. Vince has the most tangible intagibles I've ever seen.

as for his image, he's learned from watching everybody around him. he's made himself into a great and humble guy just like does in football, acessing the situation and doing what it takes to hit his goal. He's not gonna let some bs attitude/behavior problems come between him and his destiny.

2 years down the line the smart OC will let him call his own plays. keep it fun for him, keep challenging him.

LonghornDub
The way he trots past tacklers reminds me of Obi Wan Kenobi. Watching it, you know they should be tackling him, but they don't. I'm pretty sure he's the last Jedi.

Sumus Tejas
Objectivity
Not able to do it with the same ease as in college. And he's learned that they close faster and hit harder. Frankly, I've been impressed with how he's taken some hits. He's tougher than he was given credit for. He just has to pick and choose if he wants an elongated career.
Disassociated
quote:
He's tougher than he was given credit for

His toughness has never been called in to question.

Now, take this suckfest to hornfans.
Objectivity
Scot -

That you're aware of....

Scouts did so before the draft, afraid he may not be able to take NFL hits.

I'm an Ag all the way, but do admire great feats.
LonghornDub
O - I only saw him hurt once in college, and it was his first year playing. His ankle got bent double and I figured he was out for the year. He was out for three plays and came back in as if nothing was wrong. No hamstring pulls. No sore arms. Nothing.

I've never been able to explain what he does and is, even after watching him for four years now and re-watching tapes. His higlight tape is mesmerizing.

Sumus Tejas
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.