Houston Country Clubs

212,491 Views | 345 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by MechEAgg
dallasag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any really. Given we are likely in Houston for a long time we are willing to consider the $100k range if it's the right fit.
Aggie369
AG
Houston Oaks is a drive from inside 610 but pretty unique place for families. More than happy to give you a tour if you're interested.
MarylandAG
Admittedly I know nothing about it and have never been there but is't Hearthstone Country Club within easy access of the loop, it has 27 holes of golf, tennis courts, fitness facility and a pool. No idea as to the quality of the amenities but it seems to check all the boxes you and your wife are looking for.
terradactylexpress
Hearthstone might be the least accessible CC from ITL.

Anything close to ITL is going to be $$$, maybe braeburn and the like but then you are dealing with galleria traffic.

Figure out what part of town you will end up in and that helps
dallasag12
AG
Wife seems to be fond of West U, Upper Kirby, and River Oaks, so it looks like River Oaks CC, Houston CC, Lakeside CC, and Royal Oaks CC all seem to be within a reasonable drive. Royal Oaks seemed to be the only club with contact info for membership and all others were by invitation only?
dallasag12
AG
Appreciate the offer but that looks a little farther out than we would want.
txcincinnatus
AG
May be worth checking out Braeburn. Have heard good things about their course after renovation. Facilities are good, but not great. Growing number of younger members with families. Many use as stop gap while they wait to get into HCC, ROCC, etc because of year (or two) long waitlists
KaneIsAble
AG
Aggie369 said:

Houston Oaks is a drive from inside 610 but pretty unique place for families. More than happy to give you a tour if you're interested.

Or Bluejack. Played both last week and they are both fantastic but definitely different.

I can list my thoughts if wanted but of you have a $100k to drop I'd recommend you see them both in person.
Red Pear Jack
Sponsor
Not exactly what you are after but I would check out the Houstonian for the wife/kids. Pool, Tennis is top notch and they have a great gym with newly renovated facilities. They have an agreement with Escalante golf so you could get signed up to play Blackhorse or Golf Club of Houston.
singer10
AG
I live in Garden Oaks and have two young kids. We've been members at Houston Oaks for almost 3 years now and love it. Only about 35 minutes from Garden Oaks and there's barely ever traffic getting out there now that 290 is opened up. Would highly recommend giving it a look. The golf is fantastic and there are all kinds of things for families to do.
DantheAggie
AG
I'm a member at Braeburn. We just redid the course and it's great. Men's locker room is very nice. Tennis courts are new and the pool in the summer is awesome. I think we do a great job of family activities (monthly bingo, Thursday chicken night, breakfast with Santa, Easter brunch, 4th of July fireworks). I think it's the best value of the in the city clubs. We have a small waitlist and initiation is around 45k. Let me know if you want to setup a tour tour.

I was a member at Royal oaks about 12 years ago so familiar with the course but haven't been there in a while.
jja79
AG
dallasag12 said:

Appreciate the offer but that looks a little farther out than we would want.

You need to go see it.
HouAggie
AG
Depending where you settle, Pine Forest is one of the best values in town and has a great group of younger families.
dshedd41
S
I'm moving to Sugarland in February and was wanting more information on Riverbend CC. my Golftec coach used to work there and wanted to know more about anyone's experiences there
Gig’em Aggies!
terradactylexpress
Kyle's an awesome coach
jonj101
Dan Shedd said:

I'm moving to Sugarland in February and was wanting more information on Riverbend CC. my Golftec coach used to work there and wanted to know more about anyone's experiences there
I just talked to them this week. Weighing pros and cons of switching to them as my home club.

The over 40 rate they quoted me was 5K initiation, $685/month. They said they are going up soon, as the board is voting on raising them in the next 60 days.

I'm going to have to decide soon.

EDIT: As far as experience, every time I've played or hung out there as a guest, I've had a blast. The course has a nice classic feel, and the locker room is the best in the area. Although its a country club, it is closer to a golf club in feel.

The members I encountered were very hospitable and the staff was very accommodating. I actually stopped by there Tuesday night just to see what it was like during the week, and there were a few members in the outdoor area sitting around watching TV. They told me to pull up a chair and we had some drinks. They said Bucky was a member. Had a great vibe - that made the decision even harder lol.
dshedd41
S
Sounds like a great experience. Thanks for the info.
Gig’em Aggies!
98Ag99Grad
AG
why are you thinking of leaving Golfcrest?
E
AG
Check out Pine Forest. They have 27 holes, indoor & outdoor tennis, and a resort style pool. Seems to be alot of young families who are members there too.

Prob about a 25 min drive from ITL and fees aren't too bad.
jja79
AG
If I was looking that's a place I'd look. I think the OP though, if he has $100K to drop, should definitely at least take 369 up on his offer to show him Houston Oaks.
JCA1
AG
E said:

Check out Pine Forest. They have 27 holes, indoor & outdoor tennis, and a resort style pool. Seems to be alot of young families who are members there too.

We're about to drop down to 18 holes for the next 3 years. Rebuilding all the greens-9 holes/year.
jonj101
I've been there about 10 years now, but I've been non-stock. They recently changed a few rules that are pushing me towards stockholder, but there is no discount on initiation for those who have been non-stock for some years.

I get it, as thats their policy and I'm not demanding preferential treatment, but the initiation is 10K vs the current 5K at Riverbend. (They might go up as well to 12.5K next year). If you ever sell the membership its a 60-40 split with the individual getting 40%, and I doubt I'll see the day where we have a 25K initiation to cover the whole 10K.

I realize I sound like a cheapskate right now, but GC is the only private club I've ever been a part of. The membership is cool and the greens are consistently in great shape. But I've never explored other options or considered other clubs because I've been so settled there and its been convenient.

I mentioned some of the pros of Riverbend in my previous post, but with GC you also get the discounted green fees at Sterling, the Campus course, another course in Lake Charles and some others. I think Sterling is also managing East River 9 near downtown, but I don't think we get discounts on that.
E
AG
JCA1 said:

E said:

We're about to drop down to 18 holes for the next 3 years. Rebuilding all the greens-9 holes/year.

Does that mean reduced fees in that time period? Asking for a friend…
JCA1
AG
E said:

JCA1 said:

E said:

Does that mean reduced fees in that time period? Asking for a friend…

Unfortunately, it's the opposite. Increased fees to pay for the new greens. Welcome to club membership.
dallasag12
AG
The course renovation looks incredible! Any insight on how hard it is to get on the tennis courts? Looks like there are only 2? That's where the wife would be using the club the most.
FincAg13
AG
If you're looking at Riverbend, you should look at Sugar Creek as well. More of country club feel (vs golf club at Riverbend) with great family atmosphere if that is something you're looking for. Golf course is always in good shape and they should be embarking on renovations to the club house and locker rooms early next year.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Can anyone confirm this bold from a mailpiece that arrived yesterday:

Is Pearland Golf Club truly "one of the finest golf clubs located in Pearland, TX?"

This may by the most modest direct mail advertisement I've ever read.

*trying another image link. Not sure why a regular Imgur and TexAgs aren't getting along.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Image isn't showing but I assume this is Country Place off 288? Lol, no it's not. The neighborhood is 55 and over I believe. Front 9 is very tight amongst the houses. Back 9 little more open and challenging. It's not a goat ranch but it ain't great either. Place to play down that way is Golfcrest, which is awesome.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Yeah, it's that one on McHard Road, although the mailer does not mention anything about the community. It does say this is part of their 41st anniversary celebration! I'm guessing they decided to branch out for new customers as their community ages. And what business doesn't celebrate the 41st anniversary?

The terms & conditions are funny:

• The Anniversary Membership is valid seven days a week anytime except for Saturdays, Sundays, and Holiday mornings before 11 a.m. because these are the busiest times at the course.
https://golfpearlandtx.com/terms-and-conditions-2-years/

It's valid 7 days a week, except for 2 of them!
98Ag99Grad
AG
$199/yr for a 2 year commitment? Honestly that price is fine for what I remember about it. I haven't played there in 5 or so years but that's nothing price wise if you just want somewhere to play and slap the ball around. Matt Schewe was giving lessons out there and he's a good guy.
terradactylexpress
Posts above cover it pretty well, tight layout with lots of water but greens are usually in good to very good shape. A few years ago they did a similar deal for 2 or 3 years where you only payed for cart fee that I used to go and just play 9-13holes then bail

If you live close ish to there it's a pretty good deal for a place to get some maintenance type rounds in
cab559
AG
Not Houston (or West Houston, just inside EP), anyone have information on the Covey/Big Easy course in Columbus?
MAROON
AG
Ok looking at clubs now. Riverbend/Sugar Creek/Sweetwater and Golf Club of Houston., Maybe Westwood and Braeburn (probably too much $, but I probably know 30 members easily).

Regarding the first three - does anyone have any experience with how hard it is to get a tee time at those three? I've heard that SW is super easy (make sense with two courses). I'm interested in Wed/Fri early morning rounds or nine and then probably Saturday/Sunday late nines.

Also, if you've played the courses - course in the best shape?, most forgiving for a high handicapper?, and any other info you think important to a decison.

I also like the idea of a cool Men's locker room with a good vibe - which one in your opinion would have that sort of set-up?
Aggie369
AG
Where did you end up?
jonj101
One of my closest friends is a member at Sweetwater. Neither one of us ever feel compelled like we just have to play over there despite the two courses and recent renovations. I think we've actually spent more time eating there and hanging out than golfing. It just feels like a stereotypical country club versus a golf club.

The best locker room imo is Riverbend. That place is great.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.