Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

**********************TEQUILA************************

19,838 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Orome
Matsui
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What else do they like? You can find it on secondary if you want to pay around $100
Not MarathonAg12
reedsterg said:

Does anyone know of anywhere in the Houston area that has Fortaleza in stock? I've been looking for a while, but haven't been able to find any.

Found it at Specs a month ago.

Unfortunately the bourbon flippers have found out
Bruce Almighty
AG
Tequila is getting "bourboned" and I hate it.
reedsterg
AG
Well they make margaritas with Don Julio 70 if that tells you anything.
Not MarathonAg12
Such is life
wadd96
AG
I'm lucky. Got a full line of Penta!
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
62strat
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

maybe it's time to develop a taste for absinthe or malort lol.
Not MarathonAg12
62strat said:

Bruce Almighty said:

maybe it's time to develop a taste for absinthe or malort lol.
reedsterg
AG
Finally got my hands on one of these and tried it for the first time this weekend. It's outstanding!
Matsui
AG
agreed. ive got a bottle after a drank a couple. love the ocho collabs (parent company owns both tequila ocho and widow jane)
jackie childs
Had a sample of the Siete Leguas Decades this evening. I've not had any of their other offerings, but I thought it was pretty good
AustinCountyAg
was able to finally get my hand on a bottle of insolito reposado. Not bad for the price. Will buy again for sure if I see it somewhere again for <$50.
PETE2019
AG
I am getting married in a couple of months and was hoping Texags could point me in the direction of a good tequila to buy for the bar. We are not huge tequila drinkers but want to serve a solid tequila that won't break the bank (less than $20 for a 750). I'm smart enough to know to look for 100% agave and that Jose Cuervo and his friends are crap. We recently tried Lunazul and really enjoyed it so that is our clubhouse leader but figured there was no better place to ask for suggestions. Thanks in advance!
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
PETE2019 said:

I am getting married in a couple of months and was hoping Texags could point me in the direction of a good tequila to buy for the bar. We are not huge tequila drinkers but want to serve a solid tequila that won't break the bank (less than $20 for a 750). I'm smart enough to know to look for 100% agave and that Jose Cuervo and his friends are crap. We recently tried Lunazul and really enjoyed it so that is our clubhouse leader but figured there was no better place to ask for suggestions. Thanks in advance!

I'm assuming you want a blanco? El Tequeleño. Lalo or Cimarron if you are willing to spend a few dollars more.

Lunazul has a bunch of additives IIRC. So the potential hangover will be exponentially worse, fyi.
AustinCountyAg
If you're getting tequila for just mixed drinks get whatever is cheap. If you're wanting to supply a tequila for people to sip on straight I'd suggest upping your budget a tad more and it opens up more doors. Especially if you go to specs and just want to buy a case of something.

I'd suggest casamigo blanco. Most tequila purists will thumb there noses but for the mass majority it's a recognizable brand that most enjoy.
AustinCountyAg
Picked up two blancos today at Specs. El Tesoro and Mijenta. The ET has a more agave forward flavor but the Minenta has a super silky olive oil type texture. A little lighter flavor profile but still very good. Told my wife to pick up a bottle of ET and she surprised me with the other one as well because she thought the bottle was "cute". She didn't realize she was actually buying me something good. I'm thankful. Lol
FbgTxAg
AG
This is helpful if you are learning about tequila or if you find yourself at the liquor store and you're thinking about purchasing. If it's from one of the following NOMs, it's probably gonna be a good tequila. If it's not from one of these, it could still be a great tequila, and there are many good ones from other NOMs, but if it's one of these you can generally be confident to pull the trigger on it, if it's priced correctly.

AgPediRPh
AG
Looking over this post a good sipping tequila for a Christmas gift. Seems like Lalo and Grand Mayan are popular, but I'll ask anyway: What are some good tasting ones for $100 or less?
Thank you
JohnnyShotgun
$100 will get you into some fantastic tequila. At that price point you will be looking at well made reposados and anejos. You should be looking for Fortaleza, El Tesoro, Ocho Tequila and G4. Any of the anejos or reposados from these makers are some of the best bottles being made. Man, there are so many good tequilas right now, have fun and pick the great juice, not the great bottle.

SpiderDude
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C070oOCpbb0/?igshid=MTRhZmU1ODE2NA==
Aggie Therapist
AG
Fortaleza Blanco
$54

Total Wine Arbor
AgPediRPh
AG
Thanks for the recommendation! The salesman at Total Wine recommended Mi Familia and El Tesoro. I bought El Tesoro Añejo and it was a big hit!
Aggie Therapist
AG
No fortaleza?
AgPediRPh
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

No fortaleza?
Out of stock at the location I visited. Apparently it sells really well.
Matsui
AG
El tesoro is great
FbgTxAg
AG
Matsui said:

El tesoro is great

Water is wet.
Thunderstruck xx
reedsterg said:

Finally got my hands on one of these and tried it for the first time this weekend. It's outstanding!

The Specs near me had like 6 bottles of the Anejo. I picked one up to try.
CFTXAG10
AG
Gonna give this a shot tomorrow at a Christmas Eve fajita dinner. Picked up at TW for $45. Im usually a Don Julio blanco kinda guy but thought I'd try something different.

reedsterg
AG
Oh wow, I've never seen it at Specs. I love the Repo, but would love to try the anejo. What city are you in?
Thunderstruck xx
reedsterg said:

Oh wow, I've never seen it at Specs. I love the Repo, but would love to try the anejo. What city are you in?

I'm in San Antonio. They had all three types at the Specs I went to, but the reposado was almost gone. Maybe one bottle left.
Thunderstruck xx
I'm trying it now, and it's delicious. I don't drink drink sipping tequilas often. Is there a best type of glass to use which enhances the drink?

reedsterg
AG
Ohh, that's the regular Ocho. Ocho is still a very solid tequila, but I thought you found a Widow Jane anejo.
gam 15
AG
Any thoughts on La Pulga? Seen it around DFW and was gifted a bottle of Blanco. They claim additive-free but not sure if that's just a marketing term at this point.
Thunderstruck xx
reedsterg said:

Ohh, that's the regular Ocho. Ocho is still a very solid tequila, but I thought you found a Widow Jane anejo.

Oh dang, tequila noob here so I didn't even notice. I'll have to look out for the widow jane version.
Matsui
AG
It is confirmed additive free. Always verify with tequilamqtchmaker. It's a mixer for me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.