Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Best BBQ in Lockhart?

4,346 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Tree Hugger
SjAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed there Friday. Which spot is best?
Aggie Therapist
AG
Prepare for battle!!!!!

Smitty's!

I personally grew up going to Kreuz Market since I was old enough to walk and have so many memories with my family there. I go there for the sausage links. Some damn good food.
Beef Cheek
AG
I think Smitty's is the best experience, but I go to Kreuz the most often because it's hours work better with my schedule.

Terry Black's is probably the best food, but you can get that elsewhere.

Also don't sleep on the sides at Chisholm Trail…
Matsui
AG
Terry Blacks
The Anchor
AG
A few years ago we went to a family reunion in the Lockhart area.

Over that weekend we ate at Kruez, Smitty's, Chisolm Trail, and Black's. All four were amazing and I don't remember anything I didn't like.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Also don't sleep on the sides at Chisholm Trail…
My in-laws used to live in Lockhart and I was very surprised that the sides were best here as well. And I agree that Smitty's has the best experience. Just don't go to any of these places expected amazing bbq!
FIDO*98*
AG
Smitty's might have the worst sausage I've ever eaten and the shoulder clod didn't live up to the hype. The brisket was solid, but didn't change my life. Blacks and Chisholm Trail definitely have better food.
GreasenUSA
AG
Smitty's sausage is the best I've ever had from a bbq joint. It's been several years though.

I still tend to hit Kreuz the most when driving through, though.

My ranking is Kreuz, Black's, Smitty's. It's been too long for me to remember Chisholm Trail.

I haven't been to the 2 new ones, but do enjoy Terry Black's Barton Springs location.
dustin999
AG
I've had kreutz, blacks, and terry blacks in the last 3 months, all in Lockhart. The most memorable for me was definitely blacks. Love their sausage. None of the brisket really blew me away but all definitely solid, just nothing stood out. Ribs were great.

This was all on Saturdays too.

I think Terry Blacks had the best sides though. The baked potato salad was awesome.
austinag1997
AG
No doubt about a battle. I hate Kreuz's. Not my Jam. Do like Black's. Terry Blacks is in Austin.
GreasenUSA
AG
austinag1997 said:

Do like Black's. Terry Blacks is in Austin.

New Terry Black's is on the north side of Lockhart
B-1 83
AG
Is it Black's that has the Hatch green chili sausage? That stuff is good!
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
SjAg
AG
Reporting live from the scene. Just hit up Black's. Brisket was the best of the meats followed by the sausage and beef rib. The pork ribs are no good. Sides are meh. Gonna sample are few other joints.
agcrock2005
AG
Have you been to Barbs yet? Interested to hear a professional's take on her food.
SjAg
AG
Just walked past. Only open Saturday and Sunday. Menu looks intriguing.
agcrock2005
AG
SjAg said:

Just walked past. Only open Saturday and Sunday. Menu looks intriguing.
She was one of the pitmasters at Goldees until some time last year when she left to start that Barbs. Very interesting menu.
Beef Cheek
AG
I have been to Barbs…

Went about a month ago with some of the L&L crew. I'll preface this by saying they had just been nominated for a James Beard award, so a critical eye felt deserving during the trip. Being open now two days a week with that kind of hype, expectations were very high.

… found the experience underwhelming. The brisket and ribs were a little tight and I didn't taste any of the lime zest on the ribs. The sausage was well made, but nothing special. Sliced turkey was fine. Found the lamb disappointing, but I was coming off eating a lot lamb for R&D and lamb ribs from a Chud video in the previous days

Thought the green spaghetti was a nice change of pace for an interesting side, but the beans and slaw were not for me.

We didn't get any of their bread and I'm not sure the reason why.

I did love the chocolate pudding, that was a pleasant surprise.

All that being said, it's good craft bbq and it looks beautiful, just wasn't mind blowing and if I'm in Lockhart I would rather have the old school experience offered by the classic spots than something I can experience in just about any corner of Texas these days.
agcrock2005
AG
Thanks for feedback. Yeah that brisket doesn't look very appealing. The green spaghetti is so damn weird that I want to try it.
austinag1997
AG
GreasenUSA said:

austinag1997 said:

Do like Black's. Terry Blacks is in Austin.

New Terry Black's is on the north side of Lockhart

Guess its been a while to Lockhart for me.
malenurse
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Thanks for feedback. Yeah that brisket doesn't look very appealing. The green spaghetti is so damn weird that I want to try it.
There's a little, family owned, Tex-Mex place in Richmond called Tejas Grill that has Espagueti Verde that is awesome.
The Kraken
AG
malenurse said:

agcrock2005 said:

There's a little, family owned, Tex-Mex place in Richmond called Tejas Grill that has Espagueti Verde that is awesome.
Thanks, I'll have to try it now. I've only been there for breakfast.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
malenurse
AG
I'm there with my family every Friday night. Come by and say hi
bularry
agcrock2005 said:

brisket looks pretty good to me, but I eat bbq about twice a year, so not exactly a wide band of experience!
gigem70
AG
Sides are a waist of time for me. I go to bbq joints for the meat.
Beef Cheek
AG
BoooOooooOoooOOoooo

gigem70 said:

The Kraken
AG
gigem70 said:

Eating lots of sides will increase your waist.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
GreasenUSA
AG
gigem70 said:

yep. Just some meat and maybe pickles and onions. Sausage for dessert. Everything else is a waste of stomach space.
TXAG 05
AG
gigem70 said:

I always consider sausage my side dish.
BurnetAggie99
I'm all about the meat as well but I still do make my German Grandfather BBQ sides which are Kartoffelsalat - Bavarian Potato Salad, Krautsalat - Bavarian Coleslaw, Gurkensalat - Bavarian Cucumber Salad, & big pot of Texas pinto beans.
FIDO*98*
AG
I think sides are indicative of the pride and attention to detail of the proprietor. I've never been to a place with great barbecue and mediocre sides. When I'm making Q at home the sides are never an afterthought
Tree Hugger
AG
Agree on sides.

Since moving to Oregon, I really don't have access to much quality BBQ. One place that was lauded by the locals was some of the worst I have ever had.

My wife works with someone whose husband and BIL run a food truck selling "TX Style" BBQ, challenge accepted so we went to check it out. One of them said he "trained" at several central TX places and even bought his trailer smoker from someone in TX since he couldn't find what he wanted in OR.

Brisket- meh, not bad, just OK, not much smoke flavor

Jalapeño/Cheese sausage- also OK, but I asked if he used high-temp cheese before I even tasted it, he said he just used regular cheddar, most of it was melting onto the wax paper, meat flavor was decent.

Pork Spare ribs- a surprising OK and a good value since you could add on a rib for $1, but it looked great but didn't really taste like anything but pork fat, even though it was really meaty and seemed to be seasoned well.

My son took one bite of the M&C and said it was awful, I tried a bite and agreed.

Their beans are some of the best I have ever had though, not enough to make me go back just for those, but they were awesome.

Slaw - tasted like cabbage and watered down ranch

I did talk with the guys after their lunch rush died down and they asked for an honest opinion, you know since I'm from TX, and I gave it to them.

One question I asked was what kind of wood were they using and it turns out they were using cherry for everything. I suggested white oak since we have plenty of that up here and then just supplementing the pork with cherry. If I go back I will ask about the wood first before I buy anything.
StinkyPinky
AG
I can second this. I lived in Portland (suburb) for 6 years and was highly disappointed with the quality of BBQ. And people would swear by certain places which I would get my hopes up and would be miserable. Like you mentioned, several that supposedly were from Texas and were suppose to be genuine. Meh. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the food truck was Holy Trinity BBQ

Same story with TexMex.
StinkyPinky
AG
milner79
gigem70 said:

This.

There once was a line of thinking in Lockhart that if you needed to sell sides, there must be something wrong with your meat offerings.

Alas, not terribly long after they moved to their new location, Kreuz succumbed and started selling sides just like all the others. First it was beans, the gateway side. Now, as far as I can tell, they have the full array of sides.

This is your one time to be unapologetically carnivore. Give me a sausage, a beer, some crackers and watch me make it disappear.

(And spaghetti at a place that purports to be a barbecue joint is just weird. Clearly, she ain't from around here ...)
Martin Cash
AG
milner79 said:

gigem70 said:

This.

There once was a line of thinking in Lockhart that if you needed to sell sides, there must be something wrong with your meat offerings.

Alas, not terribly long after they moved to their new location, Kreuz succumbed and started selling sides just like all the others. First it was beans, the gateway side. Now, as far as I can tell, they have the full array of sides.

This is your one time to be unapologetically carnivore. Give me a sausage, a beer, some crackers and watch me make it disappear.

(And spaghetti at a place that purports to be a barbecue joint is just weird. Clearly, she ain't from around here ...)

Agreed. All you need with BBQ is a slice of cheese, a dill pickle, crackers and a jalapeno.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.