Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Food and Entertainment Suggestions - Austin

761 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by agcrock2005
LostTexasBoy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Longer post than I expected.

I currently live in Florida and I'm coming into Austin on Mother's Day weekend for a funeral that's in Georgetown. My girlfriend has never been to Austin but has always wanted to check it out. After the service and reception on Saturday, we were going to head down to Austin for the afternoon/evening and stay the night in Austin. We fly back at 1:50 PM on Sunday afternoon.

I didn't grow up in Austin and the last time I was there was almost 15 years ago, so I'm sure things have changed a ton. We will have a rental car and don't mind driving, but we are also ok with taking an Uber once we are in Austin.

I would love some suggestions:

1) For a hotel. We don't want a Motel 6 but we also don't want to drop $$$ for one night in a hotel. Basically interested in best hotel locations more than anything. I just don't really know what's a good and convenient/safe area vs what areas to avoid. (I know this is the Food Board but figured y'all would still be able to help.)

2) Restaurant recommendations. We are both big foodies, but aren't wanting super expensive or fine dining. Just really want good food. Also, was maybe thinking about trying to go to Franklin BBQ on Sunday morning. Will we honestly be able to eat there if we fly out at 1:50 PM and will have to return a rental car?

3) Night life recommendations. We both love live music and good cocktails/beer. Don't really have any desire to do 6th Street, if that's even a thing anymore lol.

TLDR:
We're in our late 30s and both have kids of our own and looking for recommendations to enjoy the Austin food and music and art scene kid free for an afternoon/evening and morning before we head back.

Thank you to all for the help.

X-Posted to the Austin and Outdoor Boards
Aggie Therapist
AG
Pinthouse Pizza in Round Rock!

Brewery/Awesome Pizza.

Get the Electric Jellyfish IPA and The Armadillo for pizza.

Moonshine Bar and Grill on Parmer Lane. Amazing food and bourbon selection is superior.
CrawfordAg
AG
Odd Duck or Dai Due never disappoints, menu changes often based on seasonality.

If you don't want to wait at Franklins, Leroy and Lewis recently opened their brick and mortar.
AlaskanAg99
AG
ABGB is excellent for beer.

If you want a unique experience:

https://www.tiki-tatsuya.com/our-story

Your reservation last 2 hours. If you like rum, this is the best option. They have small bites so good for after dinner. But make a reservation.

Aggie Therapist
AG
CrawfordAg said:

If you don't want to wait at Franklins, Leroy and Lewis recently opened their brick and mortar.

Leroy and Lewis, Aggie owned if I'm not mistaken
JYDog90
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

CrawfordAg said:

What are the odds their names are Leroy and Lewis?
Formerly Willy Wonka
austinag1997
AG
I would shy away from Franklins if you are time-constrained.

I have always enjoyed the gospel brunch at Subbs BBQ if they still do it on Sundays although it isn't traditional BBQ on those Sundays.... more southern food buffet.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I second Moonshine Grill. The blackened catfish is killer.
Take the trash out staff.
agcrock2005
AG
JYDog90 said:

Aggie Therapist said:

CrawfordAg said:

What are the odds their names are Leroy and Lewis?
I don't think either of them are Aggies (might be wrong), but one of the owners of their sister food truck (Mama Fried) is for sure. He posts all the time on this board as BeefCheeks. Have heard nothing but good things about L&L. If I ever get down that direction I'm giving it a shot for sure.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.