Timeout on a drive Buzz ?

3,006 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by GoAgs92
AgOutsideAustin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dumb.
pasquale
AG
Jimbo ish.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
That was pretty bizarre. He had a great plan all game but that was very weird.
Dr. Alister MacKenzie
Cost his team a real opportunity to tie the game in the end. Awful.
Aggie_buster
AG
The whole strategy in OT seems really questionable and dumb. Their remaining starters were in foul trouble and instead of driving straight at them, Taylor was jacking up 3s.

Then once Sharp fouled out, letting Shead milk the clock all the way down before he was throwing up a shot. They should have been forcing the ball out of his hands immediately.
LB12Diamond
AG
Agree, no one's perfect.

But his overall game coaching was great. Make free throws and we most likely win.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Just another instance where the announcers question why our coaches do certain things…… frustrating
rondis23
AG
I mean, the only thing that worked REALLY well was the "backs against the wall", "on the brink of death" press style defense, and we went away from it? Houston was DONE. Everyone was missing free throws. Houston went from looking like "we killed them", to "Dak Prescott after another pick 6/deer in the headlights" and we let them off the hook.

txag72
AG
Anyone watch bb around here. I'm sure Buzz was calling for a TO WAY before Boots was very far down court. All you saw was what was on TV. It takes more than a couple of seconds to cal for a TO and for the whistle to blow, and the player to even recognize it. Give it a rest.
LB12Diamond
AG
Very good point.
Know Your Enemy
AG
My biggest issue was him keeping Manny & Solo on the floor after a whistle in obvious foul situations when they each had 4.
FTAG 2000
AG
Aggie_buster said:

The whole strategy in OT seems really questionable and dumb. Their remaining starters were in foul trouble and instead of driving straight at them, Taylor was jacking up 3s.

Then once Sharp fouled out, letting Shead milk the clock all the way down before he was throwing up a shot. They should have been forcing the ball out of his hands immediately.

Buzz is an average coach, recruiting average kids, coaching average Xs and Os, making average game decisions, while getting top 12 pay.
Topher17
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Buzz is an average coach, recruiting average kids, coaching average Xs and Os, making average game decisions, while getting too 12 pay.

I'm not some big Buzz defender these days, but to have this outlook and attitude on a night when we took one of the three best teams in the country to OT in the NCAA Tournament seems like a truly miserable way to live.

That game was fun and we had a good game plan tonight. We just came up short against an elite basketball team.
LB12Diamond
AG
Hopefully it's a troll poster bc if it's not I actually feel sorry for people like that.
Divining Rod
Aggie_buster said:

The whole strategy in OT seems really questionable and dumb. Their remaining starters were in foul trouble and instead of driving straight at them, Taylor was jacking up ....

Well there's a good reason for that. he's wade taylor. and often his game is crap and his decisionmaking even worse. we got bad wade today.
millertime40
Why are people upset about the timeout ? He probably called it before boots even drove and he knew we needed a 3 point play setup. Also if he called it once boots was driving that's not horrible either, we had to have a 3 when you are down 4 with like 10 seconds left
Mike Elko
AG
Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't he miss the layup on that drive anyway?
aggiebones
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Aggie_buster said:

Buzz is an average coach, recruiting average kids, coaching average Xs and Os, making average game decisions, while getting top 12 pay.

Geez us, GTFO.
Tired regurgitation from someone having no bball knowledge.
Southlake
txag72 said:

Anyone watch bb around here. I'm sure Buzz was calling for a TO WAY before Boots was very far down court. All you saw was what was on TV. It takes more than a couple of seconds to cal for a TO and for the whistle to blow, and the player to even recognize it. Give it a rest.
Well, he coulda run out on the court..
halfastros81
AG
I Don't think he ever took the shot but I could be wrong.
GoAgs92
AG
TO call was bad but not terrible.

Execution after the TO was terrible, I guarantee Buzz didn't say, "let's jack up an off balance 3"

Should have driven the ball to the rack and gotten an easy layup or a foul.

Heat of the moment it's easy to make mistakes, meh, oh well.
DallasAggie87
AG
GoAgs92 said:

Execution after the TO was terrible, I guarantee Buzz didn't say, "let's jack up an off balance 3"

Setting up a 3 ball was actually the right strategy. UH can shoot FTs very well. If we make two and then foul UH is likely going to make both but almost certainly one. Game is over if UH makes two FTs.

The best chance to tie or win was shooting a three on that possession. Buzz got it right.
bdp514am
I agree. Even if Boots gets a two on that drive by the time we foul UofH and hope for 1 miss you are getting down into the time frame where they could just foul and prevent us from having the opportunity to take a 3. I thought it was the right call by Buzz
Great2BeAnAGGIE
AG
Taylor was the issue in OT
Tried to hard to be a hero
Turnover
Foul 3 pt shot
Terrible 3 pt shot attempt
His OT play was bad imho
GoAgs92
AG
DallasAggie87 said:

GoAgs92 said:

Setting up a 3 ball was actually the right strategy. UH can shoot FTs very well. If we make two and then foul UH is likely going to make both but almost certainly one. Game is over if UH makes two FTs.

The best chance to tie or win was shooting a three on that possession. Buzz got it right.
Wrong.

Take the easy two and foul the walkon kid, he probably makes one of two at best. Kid had hardly played and just made one out of two.

Fanatic15...Drs2B!
Agree that the time out seemed ill-timed - but also understand that Buzz may have decided to call it prior to Boots heading down the court with a full head of steam.

I was hoping for a Boots make at the basket and a possible "and one" - which would've set us up nicely for potential to tie after fouling the new kid - and possible double OT.

CAN YOU IMAGINE GETTING TO PLAY ANOTHER 5 MIN with all three of of their starting guards having fouled out???
BuzzFan24
GoAgs92 said:

DallasAggie87 said:

GoAgs92 said:

Wrong.

Take the easy two and foul the walkon kid, he probably makes one of two at best. Kid had hardly played and just made one out of two.

Yeah let's pick who they throw it to and who we get to foul with 7 seconds left on the clock.
GoAgs92
AG
BuzzFan24 said:

GoAgs92 said:

DallasAggie87 said:

GoAgs92 said:

Wrong.

Yeah let's pick who they throw it to and who we get to foul with 7 seconds left on the clock.
It's not that hard…you have 5 guys to guard 4….if it doesn't work, oh well, beats jacking up a well guarded off balance 3…and then you still have to foul anyhow…even if you make it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.