Biggest "what could have been" game in program history?

4,912 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by NyAggie
Scotts Tot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
UH in '24 or Memphis in '07?

UH: went toe to toe with a team that's as talented and as well coached as any in America, but ultimately lost due to a staggering 16 missed free throws, missing out on an opportunity to play Duke in our home state in the Sweet 16.

Memphis: tight game featuring Acie's infamous missed layup, which ultimately left Memphis a 1-point deficit they overcame with a few seconds left to advance to the Elite 8.

The Memphis game might seem like the obvious choice given it was in the Sweet 16, but the opportunity tonight to return to Texas after knocking off a 1 seed and face a blue blood in the Sweet 16 would have been something special.
Serious Lee
i think we had a couple double digit seeds in our way to the final four if we didnt collapse against UCLA in '08
Heineken-Ashi
Memphis on 07 easy. Blown layup away from going FAR. That team was a monster.

This team had a lot of potential, but still to inconsistent to say they would have gotten past Duke.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
AustinAg2K
UCLA was the game that came to my mind. That team was stacked and playing great.
trip98
AG
Memphis

This uh team isn't the same we played earlier this year due to the injuries they've had

We had right game plan...just didn't execute on free throws and Taylor was a non factor if not a liability. He's had one otlf those games here and there but every few and far between
txag72
AG
Guys need to do some homework. Never heard of David Britton and Louisville? Of course not. OR many other moments that might just possibly have happened before you were 15.
bdp514am
Quite a few what if moments in that game. Not the least of which was a bad out of bounds call late. With replay today that call would have been overturned
Just Tired
AustinAg2K said:

UCLA was the game that came to my mind. That team was stacked and playing great.

and screwed on a terrible no-call.
kyledr04
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Donald Sloan was murdered at the end of that game and of course wasn't called.
coupland boy
AG
'07

I'd say we'll improve next year but we haven't built on success in hardly any program. We almost got to sweet 16 this year so let's just enjoy that. Maybe we'll do it again in a couple of years.

We need to keep Buzz and not talk about firing the guy every time we have a rough stretch.
zgolfz85
AG
That loss to lsu with the way downtown last sec 3 over Antonis was tough too
Know Your Enemy
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

This team had a lot of potential, but still to inconsistent to say they would have gotten past Duke.

Anyone that doesn't say this game has to under 35-40. That was to go to the Elite 8 and a shot at the Final Four with the game in the Alamodome.
bdp514am
Everyone remembers that play. But also remember on I think their next to last bucket Love got by with a serious hook to go around his man and score.
Dale Gribble
Know Your Enemy said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

Anyone that doesn't say this game has to under 35-40. That was to go to the Elite 8 and a shot at the Final Four with the game in the Alamodome.

Yeah that '07 team was special. Sad it ended like it did. Hell the '06 team deserved better than the ending they got.
LB12Diamond
AG
Not really. We still had Duke then Marquette, then two more top seeds. Its why this thing is hard to win from the 9 seed range. Bama will just start playing hard teams next week.
Ag13
AG
zgolfz85 said:

And that LSU team went on to the final four
Method Man
tOSU would've beaten us. Ucla is the right answer. Up by ten.
zgolfz85
AG
Ag13 said:

zgolfz85 said:

Yeah I think we had Duke the next round or following if we got through and we matched up so well against Duke that year. I've always thought lsu stole that final four from us
agracer
AG
Scotts Tot said:

UH: went toe to toe with a team that's as talented and as well coached as any in America, but ultimately lost due to a staggering 16 missed free throws, missing out on an opportunity to play Duke in our home state in the Sweet 16.

Memphis: tight game featuring Acie's infamous missed layup, which ultimately left Memphis a 1-point deficit they overcame with a few seconds left to advance to the Elite 8.

The Memphis game might seem like the obvious choice given it was in the Sweet 16, but the opportunity tonight to return to Texas after knocking off a 1 seed and face a blue blood in the Sweet 16 would have been something special.
Everyone forgets Joseph Jones missed an easy layup right before Law did.
Scotts Tot
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

No guarantee that the layup would have won the game. If I remember right, it would have put us up 3 with about 30 seconds left.

But yea that team was elite.
bdp514am
But I don't think we had an answer for Ohio State. They handled Memphis with ease.
Heineken-Ashi
bdp514am said:

But I don't think we had an answer for Ohio State. They handled Memphis with ease.
We were a matchup nightmare for anyone.

Kirk and Roland, two of the best absolute lockdown defenders I've ever watched. Jones and Antanas, both could bang and both could hit the 3. Acie was literally the story of basketball that year with so many clutch shots. Carter was a 3pt machine. Sloan and Davis off the bench. There was no one way to guard us. We had everything. And we could lock down anyone on defense. Definitely not a sure thing, but easily the best team we've ever had. There was nobody we couldn't beat. Hell, we took down KU in the Phog.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
phatty26
Ag13 said:

zgolfz85 said:

Yes that one stung that was a team and that team got to the final four. That one hurt more than tonight, it was BCG resurrecting the team and program.
TXAggie2011
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

I'm under 35 and Memphis immediately came to mind. That was a terrible way to lose.
sincereag
This team tonight had the capability to make a deep run. Wade, Boots and the emergence of Manny can play with anyone. This one hurts but they showed the Aggie fight we all love and I think we will win big in the future.
William_C_G
AG
The loss to eventual national champion Louisville in overtime in 1980 in the Sweet 16 deserves serious consideration. Nobody else took Louisville to OT that year.
Just Tired
Scotts Tot said:

last night was sad b/c of the big comeback and would have been a great story to tell/remember. big picture this weekend would indicate the sec and bdf were both overrated so if duke goes out and shreds the coogs this weekend, that may be "what might have been" for us as well. our defense gives good effort but it obviously leaves the 3 available to a hot shooter.
barbacoa taco
AG
this thread is so depressing
The Banned
Serious Lee said:

i think we had a couple double digit seeds in our way to the final four if we didnt collapse against UCLA in '08

That freaking foul that wasn't called is burned into my memory.
zgolfz85
AG
The Banned said:

Serious Lee said:

That freaking foul that wasn't called is burned into my memory.
has to be the darkest moment in aggie hoops...at least of the 21st century
ds00
Memphis. Would have been fun to play Oden, Conley, Cook in San Antonio
EliteZags
AG
one basket away from winning the nit CHAMPIONSHIP
Kellso
A&M would have had a huge home court advantage in Dallas against Duke.

I would have to say last night. You upset the #1 seed, and that's the type of win that can propel you to the Final Four.
Once the #1 seed goes down the entire bracket opens up.
Pumpkinhead
AG
The no-call on Sloan vs. UCLA was a big 'what if'? Or not being able to get a rebound vs. Memphis. We have several of those types of moments in our NCAA T history to be honest.

On the good luck side, of course we got the largest comeback in NCAAT history versus UNI. It isn't like the gods of fate have 100% neglected us
kyledr04
AG
Still a foul

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.