Biggest "what could have been" game in program history?

4,910 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by NyAggie
SinKiller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
txag72 said:

Guys need to do some homework. Never heard of David Britton and Louisville? Of course not. OR many other moments that might just possibly have happened before you were 15.
That game still hurts, unbelievable.
bobinator
AG
Kellso said:

A&M would have had a huge home court advantage in Dallas against Duke.

I would have to say last night. You upset the #1 seed, and that's the type of win that can propel you to the Final Four.
Once the #1 seed goes down the entire bracket opens up.
Surprised nobody has mentioned 2010.

If we beat Purdue in the 5/4 matchup we'd have been moving on to play 1 seed Duke in Houston. It would have been the biggest Aggie basketball crowd of all time. Would that have been enough to beat the national champions? Who knows, but that would have been the single most anticipated A&M game of all time. And if we'd have somehow beaten Duke we'd have been playing Baylor in Houston to go to Final Four.

Think UCLA probably wins this, but I think I'd have the Purdue game even over the Memphis game. I don't think we'd have beaten Ohio State or Duke, but just the hype of that week leading up to playing Duke in Houston would have been on another planet.
zgolfz85
AG
bobinator said:

Kellso said:

I would have to say last night. You upset the #1 seed, and that's the type of win that can propel you to the Final Four.

If we beat Purdue in the 5/4 matchup we'd have been moving on to play 1 seed Duke in Houston. It would have been the biggest Aggie basketball crowd of all time. Would that have been enough to beat the national champions? Who knows, but that would have been the single most anticipated A&M game of all time. And if we'd have somehow beaten Duke we'd have been playing Baylor in Houston to go to Final Four.

Think UCLA probably wins this, but I think I'd have the Purdue game even over the Memphis game. I don't think we'd have beaten Ohio State or Duke, but just the hype of that week leading up to playing Duke in Houston would have been on another planet.
yep, that was in OT to boot. This thread has just reminded me how many insanely painful moments we've had in the 21st century on the men's side. I thought I'd remembered them all, but these posts bring back a lot of bottled up pain.
Houstonag
AG
The worst lost opportunity in program history. Out of control , no discipline, wild, etc. How did we even tie the game. Blew it and goes on the team and Buzz. He does not have the ability to coach in game and slow them down. Obasiki driving into the paint and losing the ball. Horrible game managment. Wade is good but just think what he could do it he would not lose control and throw the ball away.

My pet compliant is not defending the three as we did against Nebraska. Horrible horrible.
bobinator
AG
Houstonag said:

My pet compliant is not defending the three as we did against Nebraska. Horrible horrible.
Houston shot 0.6% better from three than Nebraska did.

I don't know what people want from that game. The gameplan was fine. Getting to the stripe, even shooting it below our normal percentage, kept us in the game. We just didn't hit enough shots and Houston did. That's how the game goes.
bluefire579
AG
bobinator said:

Kellso said:

This one came to mind to me as well. I went to that Sweet Sixteen and it was depressing getting to see Baylor fans enjoy it (especially considering they got 3 double digit seeds on their way to an Elite Eight) and knowing we could have been there. Not to mention our team that year was really good, a lot better than I think most people remember

Still think Memphis is the overall correct answer, but this one is a close second in my mind.
Ag13
AG
bobinator said:

Kellso said:

This was a very painful one indeed. Had my finger on the button ready to buy tickets to Houston when the Purdue game was in overtime. Also felt like this was right around the peak of the Baylor/A&M basketball rivalry so was really looking forward to a potential matchup with a third matchup with them.

Also not only was this in Houston - it was actually at NRG stadium as they used to do the regionals in football stadiums. So when you say biggest game in Aggie basketball history you are 100% correct. Would have been a massive crowd vs. Duke then Baylor potentially.

Hate to add to the sadness of this thread, but I kind of forgot how absolutely brutal the BCG/Turgeon tournament stretch actually was when it came to the elimination games:

2006: 58-57 loss to LSU on a buzzer beater (they went on to the final four)
2007: 65-64 loss to Memphis in the Sweet 16 in San Antonio, lose our coach a few days later
2008: 51-49 loss to UCLA (they went on to the final four)
2009: 92-66 loss to UConn (at least it finally wasn't close and heartbreaking so not much of a what if here - but UConn went on to the final four)
2010: 63-61 loss to Purdue in overtime

So 4/5 of those years lost by a basket or less and 3/5 years the winning team went on to the final four
aginlakeway
AG
1980 Louisville. That's the biggest "what could have been" game in program history.

Program history includes games before 2000.
bobinator
AG
aginlakeway said:

1980 Louisville. That's the biggest "what could have been" game in program history.

Only if you're old
aginlakeway
AG
bobinator said:

aginlakeway said:

Only if you're old

True!

Just like the 1975 Arkansas football loss ... IMO, the worst football loss in program history.
EliteZags
AG
how bout falling to Illinois State in the final minutes to miss out on a final four birth
Rider76
AG
Pet peeve....not defending the three....like when they are jacking it up from four point line....or driving to the rim and passing diagonally to an open three across the court.
Coogs defending the three about as good as anyone and we had lots of open looks
aginlakeway
AG
Rider76 said:

Pet peeve....not defending the three....like when they are jacking it up from four point line....or driving to the rim and passing diagonally to an open three across the court.
Coogs defending the three about as good as anyone and we had lots of open looks

OK. But the 2 teams shot about the same from the 3-point line last night. We actually were higher.
EliteZags
AG
yea but their made 3's added points for their team
SinKiller
aginlakeway said:

Beat Dean Smith and NC, and then, let's be honest, choke it away against Louisville.
2tkid
1980 NCAA tourney vs Louisville. Tied at end of regulation. A&M drove (Britton?) in the lane and was fouled big time but no call. Louisville won in overtime and went on to win national title
Houstonag
AG
I yield to you on this point. Still ticked off at the other items like back court fouls, free throws, ball handling.
William_C_G
AG
The Aggies also have the all-time NCAA men's basketball tournament records for the most points scored in an overtime (25) and the greatest margin of victory in an overtime game (17). We achieved both records against North Carolina in 1980 by winning 78-61.
Tango.Mike
William_C_G said:

The loss to eventual national champion Louisville in overtime in 1980 in the Sweet 16 deserves serious consideration. Nobody else took Louisville to OT that year.

Louisville beat K-State in overtime (by 2 points) in literally the very game before they beat A&M. They also beat Virginia Tech in OT during the regular season. And lost 3 games
DukeMu
bobinator said:

Kellso said:

Purdue's best play had been injured - Robbie Hummel was out with an ACL tear.. There was no excuse not to be in Houston. I had tickets and was looking forward to a Texas A&M - Duke throwdown...

...but nooooo!!!...we had to be surrounded by a herd of mealy mouth Baylor fans instead.
DukeMu
You knew this was coming. lol

Seriously, though...our overplay of the non-dominant side, allowing Houston guards to drive with an open lane we created and go to the bucket!... or kick to the open 3. All we had to do was force them to the middle where our defenders could have stripped the ball. I was yelling at the TV. Kinda like this guy.

Aggie Therapist
AG
EliteZags
AG
he actually went a lot easier on Buzz than Cal, and rightfully so
EliteZags
AG
actually impressed he can keep from profusely sweating with all that screaming in a puffer jacket

NoHo Hank
AG
I think that 07 game was it. It was in the alamodome, we outnumbered ohio state, tennessee, and memphis fans combined 3-1, and at that point in the season, Oden looked like he was getting his hip treatments covered by medicare. Yeah, they had Conley, but I think we'd have taken them, and then we'd have had Georgetown in the final four, who Ohio State beat. I think we would have ended up in the championship against Florida... which would have been tough. That team had some talent up front with Horford and Noah.
LB12Diamond
AG
Being that the next two games were in Dallas and that we would have already beat the best team in our region. Yes, one could definetly say this was the biggest opportunity lost.
fieldtrailer
AG
Scotts Tot said:

UH in '24 or Memphis in '07?

UH: went toe to toe with a team that's as talented and as well coached as any in America, but ultimately lost due to a staggering 16 missed free throws, missing out on an opportunity to play Duke in our home state in the Sweet 16.

Memphis: tight game featuring Acie's infamous missed layup, which ultimately left Memphis a 1-point deficit they overcame with a few seconds left to advance to the Elite 8.

The Memphis game might seem like the obvious choice given it was in the Sweet 16, but the opportunity tonight to return to Texas after knocking off a 1 seed and face a blue blood in the Sweet 16 would have been something special.

Games in Dallas. Packed house, home court advantage. Would have been fun.
bobinator
AG
NoHo Hank said:

Oden looked like he was getting his hip treatments covered by medicare.
Oden had 17 and 9 in 24 minutes against Memphis.
NyAggie
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Memphis on 07 easy. Blown layup away from going FAR. That team was a monster.

This team had a lot of potential, but still to inconsistent to say they would have gotten past Duke.
this.

that memphis game still hurts to this day.

we could have been a final four team with a legit chance to win it all.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.