When do our expectations as a fanbase change?

6,096 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by TopoTacos
HersheyMonroe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TLDR: Our athletics program's performance will not change without our expectations as a fanbase changing with it.

I'll preface this by saying I'm a bball season ticket holder and proud Aggie. Love this team and I'll support them no matter what.

I come on here this morning expecting to read some angry postgame analysis and dissection of our gameplan, performance, and what needs to change. Don't get me wrong, there's the fair share of those posts here.

What irks me the most is the countless posts praising our effort, talking about what a great showing it was on the national stage, and how proud we are of "almost" getting the win.

These players are literally paid to play basketball and represent our school, be it through NIL or scholarships. If they'd have rolled over a few weeks ago or in the final minutes of regulation last night, there would have been serious questions to answer. They are Division 1 athletes, some of the most elite competitors in the country, why are we gushing over their effort and refusal to quit? What does such an amazing yet unsuccessful performance on the national stage accomplish? By Thursday, nobody will remember this game but us.

Don't give me the tired "football school" and "we don't care about basketball" excuse. Clemson, Alabama, and Tennessee would all trade a Final 4 for a CFP appearance in a heartbeat. All 3 of those teams will be playing next weekend.

Rant over, flame away.

Texas A&M
We can be happy with their effort and still disappointed in the loss. We can by upset with our free throws, but still good with their effort. I think it is ok in the initial aftermath to be ok with the game even though we lost.

Now if this earns Buzz an extension that is a whole different story.
dcg4403
AG
Texas A&M said:

We can be happy with their effort and still disappointed in the loss. We can by upset with our free throws, but still good with their effort. I think it is ok in the initial aftermath to be ok with the game even though we lost.

Anyone that thinks Buzz needs to be canned, doesnt know a thing. He absolutely should continue as our HC into 2025 and 2026 seasons. If u doesnt make a leap in both recruiting and season wins, then we can talk about a change. But that guy has absolutely earned to be retained and he remains one of the better coaches in college.
rondis23
AG
Aggie basketball was a dumpster fire when I was in school in 2000-2004. We got destroyed by A&M Corpus Christi on our own court. We couldn't win a single conference game, and $1 Slavocek hot dog night drew more fans in the concession stands than people in the seats. (Seriously though)

We are now a consistent post season basketball team. We were a rim out from winning the NIT, made the NCAA tourney in back to back years, made deep runs 3 years in a row in the conference tourney...and we are complaining?

Our basketball program is a dream nowadays, and it can be argued that they are OUTperforming every other athletic team (minus 1 CWS by baseball) the last 3 years.

We now Expect to be relevant every March. We aren't even relevant in Football in November.
Woods Ag
AG
All the criticism doesn't take into account that we were playing the #1 team or #2 team in the country and they executed well.

We funneled them baseline all night into a double team. They thew up 6-8 floaters that went off the backboard and in at good angles. I don't think they missed one of them. OR Shed pushed hard to penetrate and pull the central defender to him and start the rotation, then immediately dribbled back and swung it or threw it across court to the open guy. Either way, the ball moves faster than our guys did and they'd find the open guy for a shot.

It was good execution by a very talented team and a really talented guard. I thought we played our asses off and if shots fell we were going to win that game. Even with it being a cold night we took them to the end.

Couldn't be more proud of the players and I'm really happy for Buzz. I was really down on him and the offense for most of the year but the offense looked much better in the past few weeks.

Love all of the players, but damnit I LOVE SOLO! Can't wait to see him, Manny, Wade, and the rest of the team next year.
jeremy
AG
Some of us have been around basketball our whole lives and understand that wins and losses happen and can analyze that and understand how good Houston is.

Being pissed and pitching doesn't help. Been doing that with football since '98 and we still suck.

Stop watching that crap that you linked and you'll be happier. I watched about 3 seconds of him yelling and turned it off.

Decay
AG
That video is a meme right? He's describing things that we weren't doing. We won't come up to trap a dude at the three point line. That's the point, we want them to stay outside
WestTexAg12
AG
First of all, that guy in the video is annoying as hell.

Anybody can take every single play of every single basketball game and yell at something the defense or offense does wrong. I could make that same video and yell about Houston's "god awful" defensive play in some form or fashion. Great click bait though.
Texas A&M
dcg4403 said:

Texas A&M said:

Anyone that thinks Buzz needs to be canned, doesnt know a thing. He absolutely should continue as our HC into 2025 and 2026 seasons. If u doesnt make a leap in both recruiting and season wins, then we can talk about a change. But that guy has absolutely earned to be retained and he remains one of the better coaches in college.
Lighten up Francis. Who talked about canning him? Just don't extend him right now.
Topher17
AG
HersheyMonroe said:

What irks me the most is the countless posts praising our effort, talking about what a great showing it was on the national stage, and how proud we are of "almost" getting the win.

You seem like a ton of fun.

You might want to find a new hobby, because if you can't appreciate the effort our guys gave last night against one of the three best teams in college basketball, I don't know what to tell you.

There's a discussion to be had about the season as a whole in the coming weeks, but the team played about as well in March as you could hope for.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Love when posters who can't control their emotions and need to melt down try to disguise it as "demanding more". You came on here and got upset because our 9 seed team, 10 point dogs, took a top 2 team to OT?

Perhaps college sports isn't for you.
TyperWoods
OP is correct.

We lost because our fan expectations need changing.
halfastros81
AG
My expectation is we make the tourney most years and then make a good run every 3-4. We have fallen short of that but I do see the trajectory improving and I like the general direction and the style of the program. I also think there are no guarantees that a new staff would be better and it could be worse and set this program
Back. That's just my view of things .

Why we can't shoot more efficiently as a team is a head scratcher . They need to tweak something whether it's recruiting or coaching methods or both.
Topher17
AG
Also to add Clemson into your post as evidence of a school demanding more from their basketball program is very funny. Maybe look into how long Brownell has been there and how much "success" they've had before tossing them in with Bama and Tennessee.
frenchtoast
I have very few criticisms of the team in the last several weeks. They played their hearts out last night and almost knocked off a team that may win it all. The moment Andy sunk that three was the most excited I have been since the Gillispie days. So I am not going to get angry and gnash my teeth about the game last night.

However, I am disappointed that we had such a collapse in mid-season that resulted in a 9 seed. If we had just won a couple more of the gimmes, we'd likely be in the Sweet Sixteen.

frenchtoast
halfastros81 said:

My expectation is we make the tourney most years and then make a good run every 3-4. We have fallen short of that but I do see the trajectory improving and I like the general direction and the style of the program. I also think there are no guarantees that a new staff would be better and it could be worse and set this program
Back. That's just my view of things .
That's where I am as well.
Gap
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

Love when posters who can't control their emotions and need to melt down try to disguise it as "demanding more". You came on here and got upset because our 9 seed team, 10 point dogs, took a top 2 team to OT?
When Buzz was hired, we were bent on becoming a top 15 program. Now, being a top 40 program and making the tournament some years has become the pursuit.
Topher17
AG
This is generally my expectation too. Make the tournament 4 out of every 5 years. The more often you get there, eventually the bracket will fall in your favor and you have to seize the opportunity. It would be nice if 1-2 of those appearances in five years were a 5 seed or better.
Bison
AG
Extension? Why, is anyone else making overtures? Anyone NOT connected to a major agent?

The question to my mind is this: if we don't have the losing streak, do we end up seeded higher? (yes) And if so, do we make the Sweet 16 out of the same region simply by virtue of not having to deal with UH? (defer to wisdom in the room)
Topher17
AG
Gap said:

JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

When Buzz was hired, we were bent on becoming a top 15 program. Now, being a top 40 program and making the tournament some years has become the pursuit.

There's a conversation to be had about the season as a whole and why we ended up a 9 seed, but to be angry about taking an elite basketball team to the wire in a tournament game tells me someone just wants to be angry.
Pumpkinhead
AG
OP, sincerely, what are you asking for from us as fans?

That we should be very upset this morning losing in OT to a #1 seed Houston and thus cancelling our season tickets, sending emails to the AD to fire the coaching staff, refusing to attend another basketball home game until a Final Four is reached...

What is it that you are specifically asking us to do?
SteveA
AG
Quote:

Our athletics program's performance will not change without our expectations as a fanbase changing with it.
Expectations have gone up and down with programs in several sports, yet the out come has generally stayed the same. Whether you praise or moan about the game, the kids playing the game aren't going to change. They are't playing for you. They aren't even playing for the school. They are playing for themselves and this has been the case for a long time.
AggieCrew44
AG
Our expectations for football and baseball are different than basketball. Why? Because we actually support those programs at a level where the extremely high expectations are merited

If we supported basketball like we do those other sports, absolutely we should expect more. But we don't. Like not even close.

Even with all that we've won 20+ games 3 straight years.
Kozmozag
Hershey, get involved with nil money donations, we need better talent.
Pumpkinhead
AG
AggieCrew44 said:

Our expectations for football and baseball are different than basketball. Why? Because we actually support those programs at a level where the extremely high expectations are merited

If we supported basketball like we do those other sports, absolutely we should expect more. But we don't. Like not even close.

Buzz Williams was a 'splash hire' and the most $$$ we ever threw in school history to hire a proven basketball coach.

Is anybody actually arguing that hiring somebody like Buzz wasn't a 'we really care about basketball' move? Whether or not Buzz is ultimately regarded a 'success' here...at the time of the hire, I don't see how anybody can argue that it wasn't a strong hiring attempt by Texas A&M.

So what exactly do we think is missing? Not enough rich fans funding big NIL contracts to get the NBA players?
aggiez03
AG
Quote:

These players are literally paid to play basketball and represent our school, be it through NIL or scholarships. If they'd have rolled over a few weeks ago or in the final minutes of regulation last night, there would have been serious questions to answer. They are Division 1 athletes, some of the most elite competitors in the country, why are we gushing over their effort and refusal to quit? What does such an amazing yet unsuccessful performance on the national stage accomplish? By Thursday, nobody will remember this game but us.
I didn't realize we were the only team to do this.

Everyone else is just doing it for free, but since we pay them to play basketball and represent our school then we should have beaten the #1 team.

Too bad you don't realize Tilman Fertitta is bank-rolling the entire team as well as a new arena and probably pays them 2X-3X what we pay our guys, but your right we shouldn't accept being a top 20 program this year.

We need to aim higher.
Texas A&M
Sorry for nitpicking.... but we weren't a top 20 team this year.
Muy
AG
Maybe we are just trying to enjoy the run, especially after all hope was lost just a couple of weeks ago? I guarantee that every Ag lost their minds over our FT shooting.
aggiez03
AG
Texas A&M said:

Sorry for nitpicking.... but we weren't a top 20 team this year.
Really, which round of 32 played a closer second round game than us.

If the top 16 all advanced, who should be #17?

What if UH wins the rest of their games by double digits, does that change things?

I don't see UH getting past UCONN, but you could argue by end of season we are a top 20 team.
greg.w.h
AG
HersheyMonroe said:

TLDR: Our athletics program's performance will not change without our expectations as a fanbase changing with it.

I'll preface this by saying I'm a bball season ticket holder and proud Aggie. Love this team and I'll support them no matter what.

I come on here this morning expecting to read some angry postgame analysis and dissection of our gameplan, performance, and what needs to change. Don't get me wrong, there's the fair share of those posts here.

Don't give me the tired "football school" and "we don't care about basketball" excuse. Clemson, Alabama, and Tennessee would all trade a Final 4 for a CFP appearance in a heartbeat. All 3 of those teams will be playing next weekend.

Rant over, flame away.

Now that you've changed your expectations, now what?
AgBandsman
AG
Great game, Ags. Enjoyed it. Way to battle to the end.
AggieCrew44
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

AggieCrew44 said:

Buzz Williams was a 'splash hire' and the most $$$ we ever threw in school history to hire a proven basketball coach.

Is anybody actually arguing that hiring somebody like Buzz wasn't a 'we really care about basketball' move? Whether or not Buzz is ultimately regarded a 'success' here...at the time of the hire, I don't see how anybody can argue that it wasn't a strong hiring attempt by Texas A&M.

So what exactly do we think is missing? Not enough rich fans funding big NIL contracts to get the NBA players?

One Kentucky player makes more in NIL than our entire team

We paid for Buzz because he's notorious for getting more out of less. Basically admitting we want to be competitive despite tons of support, which is kinda where we are
5 Dollar Footlong
Pumpkinhead said:

OP, sincerely, what are you asking for from us as fans?

That we should be very upset this morning losing in OT to a #1 seed Houston and thus cancelling our season tickets, sending emails to the AD to fire the coaching staff, refusing to attend another basketball home game until a Final Four is reached...

What is it that you are specifically asking us to do?

Write more posts that feature angry post game analysis focusing on gameplan, performance, and what needs to change and less posts that praise effort, pride or showing on a national stage?
aggiez03
AG
HersheyMonroe said:

I didn't realize Gilbert Godfried actually broke down film.

He makes some good points, but at the same time I like how he totally ignored the 2 or 3 moving screens including the UH guy sticking his knee out to make sure we tripped while he is breaking the film down.

They constantly had moving screens and only got called for 1.

Sharp should have been out of the game with 3-4 minutes left if they would have called his extra fouls in the first half, plus his moving screens.
JJxvi
AG
Quote:

Our athletics program's performance will not change without our expectations as a fanbase changing with it.
This is a useless rhetorical argument, and it also doesn't make sense logically. Did FAU make the Final Four because their fans expected to? Do you think Gonzaga fans in 1990 were like, "we need to start expecting to make the Sweet 16 every single year, and also some Final Fours" and then it followed that it happened that way?

Youre creating a model of how the world works that has no basis in reality. Our expectations may have some impact on results (whether positively or negatively completely depends, high expectations can be negative for some teams and programs in certain situations, and low expectations can be positive in some situations).

What we can do as fans to help our program is to be more interested in our program. Be bigger fans. Have more fans. More people that care in the administration and in the local media. That would rise the tide. Higher expectations before results is just arrogance and entitlement.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.