When do our expectations as a fanbase change?

6,336 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by TopoTacos
Texas A&M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggiez03 said:

Texas A&M said:

Sorry for nitpicking.... but we weren't a top 20 team this year.
Really, which round of 32 played a closer second round game than us.

If the top 16 all advanced, who should be #17?

What if UH wins the rest of their games by double digits, does that change things?

I don't see UH getting past UCONN, but you could argue by end of season we are a top 20 team.
Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. They don't do rankings at the end, but if they did we still wouldn't be top 20. Even some of the teams that lost in the first round would still be ahead of us. But even if we use your logic, I would have these teams ahead of us: Texas, Kansas, Colorado, Baylor, Washington State.
Gap
AG
aggiez03 said:

Texas A&M said:

Sorry for nitpicking.... but we weren't a top 20 team this year.
Really, which round of 32 played a closer second round game than us.

If the top 16 all advanced, who should be #17?
We were:

NET: #45
KenPom: #35
Torvik: #33
aggiez03
AG
Once again, I am talking about at the end of the season.

There are not 20 teams that had a better tournament than us.

I realize we are not ranked #20 in the NET, but the NET is no longer updated.
HersheyMonroe
Topher17 said:

HersheyMonroe said:

What irks me the most is the countless posts praising our effort, talking about what a great showing it was on the national stage, and how proud we are of "almost" getting the win.

You seem like a ton of fun.

You might want to find a new hobby, because if you can't appreciate the effort our guys gave last night against one of the three best teams in college basketball, I don't know what to tell you.

There's a discussion to be had about the season as a whole in the coming weeks, but the team played about as well in March as you could hope for.
Where did I say I didn't appreciate the effort? I said we shouldn't be praising effort when that is what is expected of a college athlete.

It's just funny to me that the same fans who will cry that the committee is out to get us, the referees don't want A&M to win, the national media has a bias towards our school....will also say "wow we had so many eyeballs on our team last night, what a positive for our program, they knew we were there, wait till next year!"

As I said, there's several posts of true postgame analysis. But the sunshine pumping like this: Wow…. What. A. Game | TexAgs is why we get clowned as a fanbase and many don't want to accept that.

When do the real questions get asked? Why is our team ranked 243 in the country in FT%? Why is our most streaky player shooting the ball 26 times when he clearly doesn't have it tonight? Why are we continuing to trap and let a guy make 7 3s on us? This is stuff that affected us all season long. It's eventually going to come back and bite. But let's gloss over it and chalk it up to just an off night but great effort.

But appreciate your suggestion of finding a new hobby. Gopher17 really making me take a step back and look at my life decisions.
jac4
AG
Where can we get reliable NIL numbers? I've heard the ones that are published are inaccurate.
HersheyMonroe
JJxvi said:

Quote:

Our athletics program's performance will not change without our expectations as a fanbase changing with it.
What we can do as fans to help our program is to be more interested in our program. Be bigger fans. Have more fans. More people that care in the administration and in the local media. That would rise the tide. Higher expectations before results is just arrogance and entitlement.
How do we get more quality fans by saying "it was a great effort, onto baseball season"? To me, a higher quantity and quality of fans causes the administration to care more, the program to rise, the media to take note, and the tide to rise.
Maroon Dawn
AG
A&M has a built in culture of losing

The "Good Ag" expectation that you will always be supportive (ie that you will always continue to consume tickets and merchandise) no matter how endlessly mediocre the product the AD puts out means they don't ever have to try because they know you'll never hold them accountable by refusing to buy and attend until they get serious about winning.
zgolfz85
AG
rondis23 said:

Aggie basketball was a dumpster fire when I was in school in 2000-2004. We got destroyed by A&M Corpus Christi on our own court. We couldn't win a single conference game, and $1 Slavocek hot dog night drew more fans in the concession stands than people in the seats. (Seriously though)

We are now a consistent post season basketball team. We were a rim out from winning the NIT, made the NCAA tourney in back to back years, made deep runs 3 years in a row in the conference tourney...and we are complaining?

Our basketball program is a dream nowadays, and it can be argued that they are OUTperforming every other athletic team (minus 1 CWS by baseball) the last 3 years.

We now Expect to be relevant every March. We aren't even relevant in Football in November.
well said and I was also there during that brutal era and left school after a couple of years into BCG. It was awesome seeing the ramp up and to a large extent, that's where the expectations got set and that we still have today. Personally, I just want to be a tourney team most years...70% let's call it. As long as you're relevant and in the mix, never know what can happen in the big dance. There's been so many teams that have gone deep and as far as final fours like FAU and SDSU and for every one of those, there's an Auburn or UK that got bounced out early when they had the depth and roster to win it all. As long as Aggie Basketball is in the mix for the conference and for making the tourney, I'm stoked.
BudFox7
HersheyMonroe said:

Topher17 said:

HersheyMonroe said:

What irks me the most is the countless posts praising our effort, talking about what a great showing it was on the national stage, and how proud we are of "almost" getting the win.

You might want to find a new hobby, because if you can't appreciate the effort our guys gave last night against one of the three best teams in college basketball, I don't know what to tell you.

There's a discussion to be had about the season as a whole in the coming weeks, but the team played about as well in March as you could hope for.
Where did I say I didn't appreciate the effort? I said we shouldn't be praising effort when that is what is expected of a college athlete.

It's just funny to me that the same fans who will cry that the committee is out to get us, the referees don't want A&M to win, the national media has a bias towards our school....will also say "wow we had so many eyeballs on our team last night, what a positive for our program, they knew we were there, wait till next year!"

As I said, there's several posts of true postgame analysis. But the sunshine pumping like this: Wow…. What. A. Game | TexAgs is why we get clowned as a fanbase and many don't want to accept that.

When do the real questions get asked? Why is our team ranked 243 in the country in FT%? Why is our most streaky player shooting the ball 26 times when he clearly doesn't have it tonight? Why are we continuing to trap and let a guy make 7 3s on us? This is stuff that affected us all season long. It's eventually going to come back and bite. But let's gloss over it and chalk it up to just an off night but great effort.

But appreciate your suggestion of finding a new hobby. Gopher17 really making me take a step back and look at my life decisions.

Ya, this team's "off night" is taking a 1 seed to OT. You're so far from reasonable ppl should just ignore this thread altogether.
GrayMatter
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

OP, sincerely, what are you asking for from us as fans?

That we should be very upset this morning losing in OT to a #1 seed Houston and thus cancelling our season tickets, sending emails to the AD to fire the coaching staff, refusing to attend another basketball home game until a Final Four is reached...

What is it that you are specifically asking us to do?
Still waiting on an answer to this question.
Guy12
Right, as a fan base we should be more hostile. Let's start throwing things on the court any time anything doesn't go our way. Then that hostility can drive away those players who make mistakes so that we can replace them with ones who are infallible.
Muy
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

A&M has a built in culture of losing

The "Good Ag" expectation that you will always be supportive (ie that you will always continue to consume tickets and merchandise) no matter how endlessly mediocre the product the AD puts out means they don't ever have to try because they know you'll never hold them accountable by refusing to buy and attend until they get serious about winning.

So fans going to the games are the problem?
SunrayAg
AG
Ooooh, I love it when the whiny battered Aggies start posting about how we can't have a successful program because the fans support the program.

Moronic **** like that makes my day!

Because all the best recruits want to play where fans whine and pout and don't support them…
FTAG 2000
AG
dcg4403 said:

Texas A&M said:

We can be happy with their effort and still disappointed in the loss. We can by upset with our free throws, but still good with their effort. I think it is ok in the initial aftermath to be ok with the game even though we lost.

Now if this earns Buzz an extension that is a whole different story.

Anyone that thinks Buzz needs to be canned, doesnt know a thing. He absolutely should continue as our HC into 2025 and 2026 seasons. If u doesnt make a leap in both recruiting and season wins, then we can talk about a change. But that guy has absolutely earned to be retained and he remains one of the better coaches in college.
He's had five seasons to make those leaps, what makes you think anything is going to change on the recruiting front?

Especially now he's apparently got Easterby riding side car.

Every recruit / transfer candidate is going to be put through a religious ringer before we even consider extending an offer.
William_C_G
AG
OP obviously doesn't remember Aggie basketball under Tony Barons or Melvin Watkins.

Buzz has made us relevant. We came super close to the biggest upset in Aggie basketball history last night. If Marble had not unexpectedly disappear (not Buzz' fault), this season would have been much different and we would have likely been a #2 or #3 seed and still playing.
Adam87inSA
AG
What I'm most frustrated about is thinking of what this team could've been with Julius Marble. His sudden and unexplained disappearance/removal from our program just as the season was about to start really kneecapped us. Lowered our ceiling drastically. All of the preseason prognosticating about A&M's high national ranking and expected high finish is the SEC was predicated on the roster that was expected on day one.

Sometimes great things aren't built in a hurry. I'm sure that last year there were many on this board envious of what Arkansas had going. And look at how they collapsed this season.

Buzz is who I want coaching Aggie Basketball and representing this University. I believe in what he is doing. Hard stop.
rlb28
AG
I have a buddy who always throws out NIL numbers and what team gets more NIL and what player gets a huge NIL payout. I've never seen anything broken down like that and when I ask him for a link he can't provide one.

"One Kentucky player makes more in NIL than our entire team?"

Where are you getting those numbers? Link please.
SWAGBOT
AG
100% agree with OP's sentiment but last night's game is not a reflection of that.

I almost doubt that you have season tickets and actually attend games if you feel that way. We made mistakes last night but we BATTLED. This team completely turned around in their demeanor and play over the past month.

Last night we ran into a #1 seeded team and potentially the best team in the country and we almost won. We should be proud of the team for last night. That's not the "settling Aggie" mentality.
AggieJ2002
AG
If you went into last nights game thinking we SHOULD win then I say, Shirley, you can't be serious?
HersheyMonroe
SunrayAg said:

Ooooh, I love it when the whiny battered Aggies start posting about how we can't have a successful program because the fans support the program.

Moronic **** like that makes my day!

Because all the best recruits want to play where fans whine and pout and don't support them…
Yeah, bc all the best recruits want to play for the fans who have already put their baseball jerseys on today and will forget we have a basketball team until next March
HersheyMonroe
BudFox7 said:

HersheyMonroe said:

Topher17 said:

HersheyMonroe said:

Ya, this team's "off night" is taking a 1 seed to OT. You're so far from reasonable ppl should just ignore this thread altogether.
Correct, it wasn't an off night. I guess you want me to say "we shot FTs like the 243rd ranked team in the country which cost us the game. We are who we are. Was a great effort, I'm fine losing to teams better than us. There's winners and losers, someone has to be the loser and we should just accept our status as the annual "what could have been" team."

That's the Good Ol' Ag mindset, yeah?
HersheyMonroe
we've been relevant through Gillispie, Turgeon, and Kennedy.

I guess since we had some down years in the 90s we should just be happy with where we are 30 years later. That's the equivalent of saying we should have been satisfied with Jimbo Fisher since Gene Stallings went 27-45 in the 60s.
Topher17
AG
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to get out of this thread at this point. If you want everyone to say last night sucked and this team sucked, that just isn't going to happen.

If you want to ask how we can improve as a program from here and discuss what led to this team being a 9 seed, I think that is a fair conversation, but that isn't how you started this thread.

If you want everyone to rage that Buzz should be fired, that also isn't rational because we all know it isn't happening. We just went to back-to-back tournaments for the first time in over a decade. I think we should have been better this season than we were and not put ourselves in the position to play UH in R2, but the foundation of the program is better than it has been in a long time. Do a good job in the portal this offseason and we should have a good team again next season. There are areas of the program I think we need to improve, but we're in a solid place with room to grow in my opinion.
HersheyMonroe
GrayMatter said:

Pumpkinhead said:

OP, sincerely, what are you asking for from us as fans?

That we should be very upset this morning losing in OT to a #1 seed Houston and thus cancelling our season tickets, sending emails to the AD to fire the coaching staff, refusing to attend another basketball home game until a Final Four is reached...

What is it that you are specifically asking us to do?
Still waiting on an answer to this question.
I'm asking for the mindset in posts like these to change. What's wrong with wanting to change the perception of Texas A&M basketball? We can do little as fans, but clapping our hands at great effort is never going to get us over the top. The extreme overreaction Pumpkinhead is sarcastically advising is a complete cliff jump from my post.

Wow…. What. A. Game | TexAgs

What if? | TexAgs

How much better would we be if… | TexAgs

Reminder about Taylor | TexAgs

Many of the questions in my OP haven't been answered. I answered yours, you answer mine.
Topher17
AG
HersheyMonroe said:

They are Division 1 athletes, some of the most elite competitors in the country, why are we gushing over their effort and refusal to quit? What does such an amazing yet unsuccessful performance on the national stage accomplish? By Thursday, nobody will remember this game but us.

You're asking people to answer your questions, so here goes:
We're gushing over their effort because they could have quit and a lot of teams would have. There are countless D1 teams that had losing streaks this season that just flat folded up down the stretch and our guys didn't.
The amazing performance on the national stage maybe allows us something to point to for transfers to show we are close and they could help. Maybe it doesn't though, but having A&M perform admirably on the big stage never hurts.
HersheyMonroe
This is at the top of my post: TLDR: Our athletics program's performance will not change without our expectations as a fanbase changing with it.

Obviously not asking for us to whine on here that last night sucked. Obviously not asking for us to fire Buzz, I've supported him from the beginning.

I'd argue that I actually did start this thread asking how we can improve as a program and the little part we can do as fans. It's astonishing that we were so close to beating one of the best teams in the country with how poorly we shot from the line and with our best player going 5-26. Pardon me for being greedy and asking how can we demand better if we're just going to praise the fight our team had?

If Taylor passes up only 5 of those 26 shots, is the score different? If we're not the 243rd ranked FT team in the country (arguably one of the easiest things a team can practice), are we talking about playing Duke in our home state this Friday? I don't see those questions being asked. Rather, it's more of "OP is too young to remember the old days. Needs to be happy with what we have." That's settling which is the opposite of what any fan should be asked to do.
HersheyMonroe
Topher17 said:

HersheyMonroe said:

They are Division 1 athletes, some of the most elite competitors in the country, why are we gushing over their effort and refusal to quit? What does such an amazing yet unsuccessful performance on the national stage accomplish? By Thursday, nobody will remember this game but us.

You're asking people to answer your questions, so here goes:
We're gushing over their effort because they could have quit and a lot of teams would have. There are countless D1 teams that had losing streaks this season that just flat folded up down the stretch and our guys didn't.
The amazing performance on the national stage maybe allows us something to point to for transfers to show we are close and they could help. Maybe it doesn't though, but having A&M perform admirably on the big stage never hurts.

Again, you're rewarding our team for something they are expected to do.....compete. I'm of the participation award generation and even I can see that we shouldn't settle for that.
Jack Boyett
AG
You overestimate the effect that *****ing on an internet forum has on the world.

fatdad84ag
AG
Why do I need to change my mindset as a fan. I cheered as a student starting in 1980. I cheered for them when they went 0-18. I cheered for them the last 8 years now that I can afford season tickets without worry. I cheered for them last night. I've road tripped to Arkansas, Kansas, LSU and cheered at those opposing arenas. Went to Charlotte, Des Moines, Oklahoma City(Easiest 6 hour overnight drive home of my life on straight adrenaline) and cheered during those tournaments. Would go to more if it weren't for that pesky part of life called work. I cheered for them because I support my team and my school NO MATTER WHAT!!!! My mind set doesn't need a change. It's called being a fan!
JJxvi
AG
Lol, where do these come out of the woodwork from? This idea is nonsensical. At no point has a program ever started winning because their fans started expecting to win.
halfastros81
AG
Think about how different the sentiment here would be right now had the Ags pulled that game out last night. It would be night and day different.

I know people are going to respond to this post and say …. But they didn't.

The point is tho that the team is very competitive and the difference between where the program is and where we want it to be is pretty small. We're talking tweaks …. Not tear down and start over.
Texas A&M
William_C_G said:

OP obviously doesn't remember Aggie basketball under Tony Barons or Melvin Watkins.

Buzz has made us relevant. We came super close to the biggest upset in Aggie basketball history last night. If Marble had not unexpectedly disappear (not Buzz' fault), this season would have been much different and we would have likely been a #2 or #3 seed and still playing.
Every team loses players. It's a weak excuse to still be using that. Those people still trotting out the Marble line were probably the same ones who tried to give Buzz a pass on the Covid year.
halfastros81
AG
You don't think Marble would have made a difference? I don't believe in using it as an excuse and I don't think Buzz did but it would have made a difference .
fightintxaggie10
AG
I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS
HersheyMonroe
JJxvi said:

Lol, where do these come out of the woodwork from? This idea is nonsensical. At no point has a program ever started winning because their fans started expecting to win.
So we shouldn't expect to win? What are we doing on this message board? Loser mentality.

I didn't expect to win last night....I want to expect to win in the future. How do we get there?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.