Was This Season a 'Step Forward/Back/Same' From Last Season?

2,918 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Charlie Moran
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last season was without argument the best season in the Buzz Williams' era.

Do we consider this season a step back, a step forward, or about the same in terms of program momentum and progress?

Last season
Overall record: 25-10
SEC record: 15-3
SEC tournament record: 2-1
NCAA record: 0-1 (Lost to #10 seed Penn State - and PSU won comfortably)

This season
Overall record: 21-15
SEC record: 9-9
SEC tournament record: 2-1
NCAA record: 1-1 (Beat #8 seed Nebraska, lost in OT to #1 seed Houston)
maxwrohr
AG
About the same. Net neutral.

Obviously the regular season was better last year but at the end of the day it's what you do in the NCAAT.
Texas A&M
Regular season - a step back.
Tournament - a step forward.
maxwrohr
AG
But this is also the first back-to-back NCAAT appearances for the program in over a decade. That's program momentum. Hoping we can put together a long streak now.
BudFox7
What are you gonna do with the answer to that question?

Buzz can get teams to play at a level that's competitive with the best teams in the country for certain stretches

The question now is can he get players that are talented enough to play that way all year? It doesn't appear so.
Ags2013
AG
I think we're a couple of high caliber 3 point shooters away from something special next season. Get to recruiting!
PJYoung
AG
Phone bill
Slight step forward.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Hopefully this exposure will help us in the portal.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
If you told me last July we'd finish as a 9 seed and .500 in conference play I would've said a step back. But, given the Marble absence (which seemed to be out of the team's hands) and the number of injuries we encountered, I'd say it was a step forward.

We made the tournament for the second year in a row, something we haven't done since BCG and Turgeon, and took a 1-seed to OT in the second round. Once it was clear as to what this team really was I'd say that was about as good of a result as you could've asked for.

What really matters now is what happens in the transfer portal, recruiting, and next season. We've built some level of consistency (making the tournament in back-to-back years) now it's time to build off of that and become a team that can reliably earn a 6 or better seed and make the second weekend of the tournament. I'm confident Buzz isn't going to leave A&M for another job like BCG or Turgeon so this really is his baby to grow. If he strikes out in the transfer portal again and we have a similar season next year then I imagine people are going to start really getting frustrated.

Also, I personally just want to see some consistency throughout the course of next season. A tournament resume can handle one or two bad losses, but it's going to be hurt when you drop four or five games that you should win. That's the difference between us being a 6 or better seed and avoiding playing the top dogs in the second round.
BQ_90
AG
we met expectations. Until we know the make up of the roster next year, it's hard to say what next years expectations will be
Muy
AG
Step forward purely based on the past few weeks.
Complete Idiot
Step back as an overall season, but to what extent Marble impacted that is difficult to say.

Non Con schedule quality - huge step up. It was very "fun" to be ranked 15th and going into such an early gauntlet, big games very early. I feared we went too far the other way and over scheduled, but I believe that schedule and SOS is exactly what got us our berth and 9 seed.

Conference run - Disappointed play in conference, for the most part. Our lows were very low, the inconsistency was frustrating. The shooting was odd, it was shocking just HOW bad it was and for how LONG. You can see recently we have the capability to shoot better, but personnel, scheme, and confidence all had an impact. It was just surprising how long they shot very poorly.

If we had found our identity a bit earlier in the year we would have had a higher seeding and could have possibly made it to second weekend. The Tourney win was nice, but my goal for A&M is to qualify and once in it's basically a crapshoot as far as how far you advance (especially if not a dominant team).

Marble loss hurt the seed, Radford, Coleman, and Washington injuries through season may have impacted seed although we oddly had some of our best wins/performances when missing 1 or more.

The preseason #15 ranking definitely has an impact as far as perception of season success, but I don't feel it was just an external source telling us we should be good. We looked at the returning roster, with hope for Carter and Wallace, and had expectations as fans. Didn't quite live up to that over the course of the season, but how the team was playing in March did.
TjgtAg08
AG
Not a better season than last year, IMO, but making the tournament and winning a game is a "step forward" for the program in that it continues to move us in a positive direction and builds another NCAA tournament appearance on top of last year's.

I also think its a step forward in that it shows the success/credence to scheduling a hard non-conference slate and that its rewarded by the committee come selection time.

I'd like to see more consistency during the season and less manic swings in level of play, but all-in-all its a season to be happy with and to feel good about this team/staff as we head into the portal season. Hopefully we can make a couple nice moves and retain key guys to set us up for a nice season again next year.

Edit to add - While I don't think any team's season should hinge on a single game of an unknown matchup in March, winning a game and having a good showing against a team that you shouldn't beat is still MUCH more of a positive than getting bounced early.

Take Auburn for example - SEC tournament champs, elite season, yet bouncing in the first round to a much worse seed. I guarantee you Auburn fans are WAY more pissed about their basketball season than we are, simply based on the outcome of a single game.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
OOC scheduling is a great point to bring up as well. The committee has made it clear that performing at least average against a strong OOC schedule is worth one or two seed lines in the bracket.
JJxvi
AG
Very similar seasons. Slight step back back, in terms of record, and because we dropped games we should have won. I think our seeds in each year is a pretty accurate representation how we did, especially considering that even though we may have been underseeded last year, we did lose the game, too.

It was nice to win an NCAA Tournament game this year, but to me that's just kind of ancillary to any evaluation. Maybe if we'd won last night, or especially last night and next Friday, that would swing the pendulum to this year.

Now that we have the NCAA Tournament going, and can see some of the interesting things happening...how do people evaluate say, our season compared to NC State's season? That I'm curious about, because they didnt have a regular season that would have got them in at all, which a lot of people were kind of putting in "fireable offense" category for us, but now they also won their conference and made it to the Sweet 16, so simultaneously they had "worst season ever" and also "greatest season of all time" according some of our fans.
TyperWoods
Slightly better at end of season

Losing Marble hurt, and the new guys we brought in to replace Dex and others we lost underperformed.

We did pick up a kid from the Netherlands who occasionally could hit a couple of 3's in a row. ;-)

We don't have any really effective bigs, but that's the way Buzz's teams are - guard oriented. I doubt that will change.

The bright points were Wade, who carried the team early. Obaseki, who carried the team late. Garcia's rebounding, and Solo's improvement.

We need two more shooters, minimum. And two effective big men.
JJxvi
AG
I should also say that following up a good year with a good year is always a step forward for the program, IMO.
W
AG
from 10 losses to 15 losses

with a nice flourish at the end
zgolfz85
AG
Texas A&M said:

Regular season - a step back.
Tournament - a step forward.
this
LB12Diamond
AG
The one thing that really jumps out to me were the changes that happened during the losing streak that actually made this team a real threat in the dance. Thats a big positive for me bc that shows me Buzz will make changes and most coaches do not do this during the season. They keep pushing what they know.

We set many scoring records this past month against solid competition. Drastic change to where we were mid season.
bobinator
AG
Fair or not, any time we win a tournament game and didn't the year before it's a step forward. I'm probably the biggest regular season guy on this board but to most people this sport is still all about what you do in March so you can't ignore that. Is what it is.

There were also some individual pieces that took big steps forward. Garcia, Solo, Wade in some ways, and of course Manny, though I wish we had a better feel for why exactly Manny just seemed to flip a switch all of a sudden. Would have been nice for that to happen in December or January, but better late than never.

Overall I'd say a slight step forward, but now let's go get some more players and capitalize on it.
GrayMatter
AG
Step forward if your metric is how far we went in post season play and how close we were to a Sweet 16 appearance. Also, back to back tournament appearances haven't happened since 2011 or so. Also beefing up the non-conference with quality teams that helped us attain an NCAA tournament bid.

A step back if you're counting wins/losses, striking out on the portal, and inconsistency in playing well against Quad 1 teams and bad against Quad 3 teams.

Personally, I think it's a tiny step forward. I think it helps the perception of what A&M basketball means to the general public with Buzz at the helm should help us in the portal this year. We should definitely hit while the iron is hot and find the next Dexter to play along Wade and Manny. We're losing quite a bit with Boots gone, but then again we've been through that when we lost Q and Dexter.
Just Tired
treading water with no obvious path (like improved talent acquisition) to the next level.
halfastros81
AG
Mixed bag . As others have said we were a lot more consistent in the conference season last yr but that all kind of got forgotten with the early tourney exit to a team that was good but not great . There were a lot more challenges this yr for Buzz as the team battled thru the preseason loss of a player they were counting on plus a variety of different injury/illness situations throughout. The strong finish was a positive.

The first round NCAA victory this yr felt good, and the 2nd round OT loss to a 1 seed, while deflating because of how it went down still leaves me with a positive feel for how close the program is to being a true contender .

At the end of it I feel like next year could go very well which is about how I felt this time last year. I do think this yr would have been 4-5 wins better with Marble and maybe we are sitting in the Sweet 16 but I also know I have to get over that cuz we didn't have him… for whatever reason. Had we pulled that game out last night the overall sentiment here would be so much different on this board. I think that speaks to the volatility of the board more than anything else.

From a player development standpoint, we saw Andy, Solo, and ultimately Manny take significant steps forward imo. Jace improved as well from beginning to end of season. Overall team shooting issues … I dunno what to think about that other than we have to get better somehow.

Wicked Good Ag
What the committee thinks is that a nicer overall record with a weaker non conference schedule and good end of regular season metrics gets you a #7 seed

A worse record but tougher schedule with playing well down the stretch gets you a #9 seed.

What you do once seeded is up to you

I would rather have the 6-7 seed so that means not a tough non conference but no losing streak in conference
agINbj2000
Same old way
5 Dollar Footlong
I've read here, from many people, that what matters in college basketball is what you do in the dance. From that perspective I don't know how you don't look at this season as an improvement.

We made it back to back which starts to show consistency. Especially if you subscribe that we should of been there in the NIT year. We beat down one of the tournament "stories" aka around here as Penn State version 2, beating them at their own 3 point shooting game. Finally we took #1 to the wire in the days best game. I know providing an entertaining game for the audience is probably low on most people's I care list, but CBS/TBS was most likely happy they didn't have another dog game and that can't be bad if only from a credibility perspective.

Lot to like, lot to regret, lot to hope we improve on. IOW..sports
sanaug
AG
Overall forward.

Better non conf / SOS.
Overcame setbacks (personnel / injuries).
Worse record in conf but still in top half of conf.
Finished season strong.
Multiple (potentially returning) players developed / improved / stepped up.
Much better NCAA tournament performance / outcome / exposure / excitement.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Fair or not, any time we win a tournament game and didn't the year before it's a step forward. I'm probably the biggest regular season guy on this board but to most people this sport is still all about what you do in March so you can't ignore that. Is what it is.

There were also some individual pieces that took big steps forward. Garcia, Solo, Wade in some ways, and of course Manny, though I wish we had a better feel for why exactly Manny just seemed to flip a switch all of a sudden. Would have been nice for that to happen in December or January, but better late than never.

Overall I'd say a slight step forward, but now let's go get some more players and capitalize on it.
That was certainly an amazing 'flip'. Manny went from an okay role-player to a first team all-SEC quality player seemingly overnight.
TopoTacos
AG
JJxvi said:

I should also say that following up a good year with a good year is always a step forward for the program, IMO.

Fantastic point. We took a step forward because we've shown some degree of consistency for the last 3 seasons. We've only been to the dance 16 times as a program, Buzz already has 12% of our invites to the dance even if the conference performance wasn't as dominant as last season.

Snag some more shooters and have a proper chance to replace Marble at Center in the portal and we could start to make this a basketball program we can depend on.
jaxisback
Step forward. I think consecutive NCAA trips is momentum building. Also think we're building a brand that will attract the type of players that Buzz can win with. This group exudes mental toughness.

The Manny question is really intriguing. Difficult to know what clicked, but I'll take a flyer and say it looked to me like he threw away his inhibitions. He's always played with doubt and hesitation, maybe he finally decided mentally "Aw, screw it, I'm going to the hoop and getting the ball on the rim, if I miss, Andy is like 35% likely to clean it up."

Radford figured this out a while back it took Manny a little longer, but he arrived.

One other comment. Washington is a truly special talent defensively. I'm not sure how many guys in the country are his equal in terms of overall defensive potential, but I don't think I've seen one yet.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
We have moved a step forward. After ending February with 5 consecutive games, we went 6-2 in March, losing only to Florida 95-90 in the SEC tournament semifinal game and to Houston 100-95 in overtime in the Round of 32.
greg.w.h
AG
PJYoung said:

I think we got patted on the head by our primary baron to whom we owe fealty…thank you Your Grace for allowing us to farm land you own and pay you tribute.
PJYoung
AG
I think in general fans are underestimating what it meant to miss Marble for the entire season and the Coleman, Radford and Solo injuries.

Dexter was an insanely difficult player to replace and we didn't strike gold in the portal.

It will be interesting to see how Jace improves because I think his potential to help us next year is pretty high.

IF Buzz can find two highly productive players in the portal to add to the mix and we have a little luck on the injury front next season I really like our chances to be a top 5 seed. This assumes everybody who is eligible comes back.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.