Jump Ball Call with 1.2 Seconds Left in Regulation

2,418 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bluecat_Aggie94
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jace did not step out and that was a big call. In response to that today, the Houston fans point to the ref's call that gave us a jump ball with 1.2 seconds left in 2H and allowed the Andy buzzer tie'er. They say the only reason we went to OT was a bad call in our favor.

Do we have a good response here, because all I've got us "uh".

TjgtAg08
AG
Kind of depends on when the official felt like the jump ball occurred - maybe it was right at the start of the rebound when Jace came down with it?

But yeah … hard to see that being called a jump ball at a random time in be middle of the first half.

Touche Cougar fans, Touche.
SolidRockAg
He didn't step out of bounds on the breakaway steal, that was an easy slam
Heineken-Ashi
Watching it live, the ball felt like it stuck with Jace for a hot minute with the UH guy in the cookie jar. On the replay, it seemed more bang bang. Ref had a good angle. UH got away with a TON of no calls, despite their total fouls. If they want to point to that, I can make a youtube montage of 20 things to point to. At the end of the day, they were 1-2 plays better than us when it mattered. And we left a ton of points on the board.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
Sq 17
Almost Every aspect of that game was off. Both teams played badly enough to lose the game, in the end the Ags and Buzz made a few more bad plays and did lose. A game that was that poorly played a few ref calls will sneak into the discussion on why a team
Lost

The cougars made fewer mistakes than the Ags and got the win
LB12Diamond
AG
They won. What does it matter to them. There were plenty of bad calls that went in their favor.

Bad luck and bad play in OT cost us the game.
BudFox7
If you're in an argument about refs you already lost. We shot like 50 free throws
wasntme
2nd Half 11:30 Remaining
U of H saves the ball from going out of bounds. However, Shead, is in bounds with the ball and gives Sharp a high-five as he is still out of bounds.

2nd Half 8:23 Remaining
Carter steals the ball and is called for being out of bounds. If you watch the replay his foot never goes out

2nd Half 4:30 Remaining
U of H Cryer is NOT called for traveling, it is a clear travel
EliteZags
AG
obviously can't expect the defenders to process this in the heat of the moment but had they known the clock was under 2 seconds you wouldn't fight for the ball due to the risk of the only things that can help us at that point being a tieup or foul stopping the clock, whereas if he could grab a clean board the best we had time for is a put back which doesn't hurt them
fatdad84ag
AG
wasntme said:

U of H saves the ball from going out of bounds. However, Shead, is in bounds with the ball and gives Sharp a high-five as he is still out of bounds.

Carter steals the ball and is called for being out of bounds. If you watch the replay his foot never goes out

A player is out of bounds when he/she touches the floor, or any object other than a player/person, on or outside a boundary. The ball is out of bounds when it touches or is touched by:
[ol]
  • A player who is out of bounds.
  • Any other person, the floor, or any object on or outside a boundary.
  • The supports or back of the backboard.
  • The ceiling, overhead equipment, or supports.
  • [/ol]
    Straight from the rulebook on your first example.
    BigOil
    AG
    Why wasn't the Jace OB reviewed? I don't know the replay criteria.

In real time I can see why it looked out, as in slow mo you can see his heel over but not on the line.
    halfastros81
    AG
    Not if they fouled us 100 times.

The loss is squarely on the shoulders of our own team tho. We missed 16 open looks at the free throw line. Either that or UH's free throw defense is exemplary.

Refs miss calls in every game. That's out of your team's control. Hitting free throws when given the opportunities, absolutely within your team's control.
    unmade bed
    Well Jace gets fouled twice in that clip and neither are called. On the first missed 3 he gets straight up pushed with two hands. Then on the 2nd missed shot he has the rebound and is hacked from behind which pulls his arm down so the other UH defender grabs the ball.

It was very quick for a jump ball call but really refs could have easily called a foul on UH there.
    wasntme
    fatdad84ag said:

wasntme said:

A player is out of bounds when he/she touches the floor, or any object other than a player/person, on or outside a boundary. The ball is out of bounds when it touches or is touched by:
    [ol]
  • A player who is out of bounds.
  • Any other person, the floor, or any object on or outside a boundary.
  • The supports or back of the backboard.
  • The ceiling, overhead equipment, or supports.
  • [/ol]
    Straight from the rulebook on your first example.

I stand corrected. I even went to look at the casebook and a similar scenario is in there. That makes no sense though. A player can dribble up the court and high five all of his teammates who are on the bench.
    EliteZags
    AG
    Or jump into his bench with the ball where the launch him up towards the basket for an easy jam
    fatdad84ag
    AG
    EliteZags said:

Or jump into his bench with the ball where the launch him up towards the basket for an easy jam

Or the defense could step out of bounds and touch the player with the ball to stop a play!
    Bluecat_Aggie94
    AG
    I know I can't ever hope to stop people complains about the refs... but maybe if I convert one or two to my point of view....

give me your list of bad calls... from either team's perspective...

and I'll give you a list of your teams mistakes... and I promise you the team's mistakes will outnumber and overshadow the refs by a long shot every time.

Control what you can control. Don't worry about the refs.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.