2024-25 Schedule Updates, Rumors, etc.

12,942 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by MarcAg
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
you wanna argue about this or playing Grambling at Reed day before Xmas
Mustang1
AG
The home game against Ohio St should be Fri, Nov 15th
bobinator
AG
It matters in the NET but it should matter, it's not the same. Now maybe the NET should have a semi-away semi-home distinction like KenPom does, but there's still a huge difference between playing in your home arena and playing somewhere else.

The comfort/routine of your home locker room, the student section, sometimes even the ball itself can be an advantage/disadvantage.
AgEfan
Love the Purdue game. Excited to see what else there is
Rec
AG
Sweet!
LawHall88
AG
gstu11 said:

Buzz has mentioned the MTE will be the Charleston Classic. Not confirmed yet but that information is directly from Buzz.
Mikeyshooter
AG
That field seems rather underwhelming.

wacarnolds
AG
Very underwhelming
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
wacarnolds said:

Very underwhelming

But the location is fantastic!
bobinator
AG
Conference realignments were always going to make next year's fields in some of these things weird. A huge number of them probably had multiple teams that are now going to be in a league together so I imagine there was a lot of switching teams around to make these things work.

Those are pretty solid teams though. Not teams that are going to help your resume just by getting on the floor with them, but they're good enough to help your resume if you win and not absolutely destroy it if you lose. The only real bad team on there is Oklahoma State and maybe they'll be better next year.

Not that far off from last year's tournament except that Iowa State ended up being a lot better than expected.
AggieNattie
Seton hall has been a solid program year in and year out, and FAU has improved their program lately. Should be a solid tournament for our resume.
gstu11
The 2 unnamed teams will probably be from the Big 10 and Mountain West. Only other option is one spot for the Coastal Athletic Conference team as the host of the tournament.
frenchtoast
Tony Soprano went there for a semester.
bobinator
AG
Or they'll just be complete randos to fill out the bracket.
gstu11
The only major or mid major conferences with out a team so far are Big 10 MWC and conference USA if you want the count them. Hope they don't fill the tournament with Horizon league or Northeastern league teams. On a side note do you think we're done in the portal now after Phelps?
mikesyracuse1
I love this tournament and have attended several times. All general admission seating and the arena is right in the middle of downtown between meeting and king street and adjacent to the College of Charleston. The field looks decent to me for a November tournament.

Mikesyracuse1

bobinator
AG
There's just no way to know. Last year Towson from the Coastal, UNT from the American and Dayton from the A-10 were in it and the year before Furman (SoCon), Old Dominion (Sun Belt), Davidson (A10) and Charleston themselves were in it from the Colonial.

My guess though is the remaining teams won't be major or even good mid-major teams, seems like any time there's "TBD" teams in these deals they usually end up being smaller teams.

But I can't even imagine the headaches involved trying to restructure some of these tournaments after the conference changes. I guess they just punted on some of them if the tournament is big enough, like both Colorado and Iowa State are in Maui because I'm sure neither one wanted to drop out of it.

And no clue on the portal, I try not to pay much attention to recruiting until guys commit to the Ags.
Mikeyshooter
AG
AggieNattie said:

Seton hall has been a solid program year in and year out, and FAU has improved their program lately. Should be a solid tournament for our resume.
Agree. Seton Hall appears to be the best team outside of A&M but even they lost their best player to the portal. FAU is a brand new team.

Miami was bad last year so you think they will be better. They still have Pack and Cleveland and added some decent portal guys.

Oklahoma State has a new coach and lost everyone to the portal.

VCU might be the 3rd best team.

Rothstein has A&M top 15 preseason for next year. Miami #34. No one else in his top 45.

Fanatic15...Drs2B!
I've never been to a Fall Basketball Tournament to watch the Aggies play - but was stationed at Charleston Air Force Base from 1997-2000 and kept my house (and a reason to go back periodically) on the *****ula near Colonial Lake as a rental for 20 years until finally selling it during COVID.

I am going to do everything I can to go there for the Charleston Classic this year because my Aggies will be there and because I truly love that city.

And because life is short.
frenchtoast
Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

I've never been to a Fall Basketball Tournament to watch the Aggies play - but was stationed at Charleston Air Force Base from 1997-2000 and kept my house (and a reason to go back periodically) on the *****ula near Colonial Lake as a rental for 20 years until finally selling it during COVID.

I am going to do everything I can to go there for the Charleston Classic this year because my Aggies will be there and because I truly love that city.

gross
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
frenchtoast said:

Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

gross

That's hilarious. The word for a segment of land jutting out into water - so surrounded on three sides - like the Florida peninsula - (see if they cut out the P-E-N-I-N again) was censored in my post.

(Or maybe I misspelled it as "*****ula" ??? :-)
LawHall88
AG
Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

frenchtoast said:

Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

gross

That's hilarious. The word for a segment of land jutting out into water - so surrounded on three sides - like the Florida peninsula - (see if they cut out the P-E-N-I-N again) was censored in my post.

Yep.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
LawHall88 said:

Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

frenchtoast said:

Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

gross

Yep.

Haha. My bad.
frenchtoast
That's not a bad flight from Albuquerque. I might consider this as well.
greg.w.h
AG
Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

LawHall88 said:

Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

frenchtoast said:

Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

gross

Yep.

Haha. My bad.
Pure gold for an offseason thread…
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
greg.w.h said:

Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

LawHall88 said:

Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

frenchtoast said:

Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

gross

Yep.

Haha. My bad.
Pure gold for an offseason thread…

Thanks. Gold is always best!

Heck, I'd be happy with even a bronze or silver for that inadvertent reference to male anatomy!
MarcAg
AG

But Buzz doesn't want to play the NIL game
miller0926
AG
2 nonconference tourneys would be something.

Looking at the dates, this conflicts with the Tech game.
MarcAg
AG
Wouldn't be shocked if we bail on that other tourney. And they can move the tech game easily.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
I hope we play both.

But this Vegas tournament will be a great showcase for what might be our best team ever!
miller0926
AG
Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

I hope we play both.

But this Vegas tournament will be a great showcase foe what might be our best team ever!

If we commit to both, we'd be up to 8 nonconference games away from home, leaving us 5 at home (and that is assuming 1 of the 5 is the ACC challenge at home).

We only played 6 home this past season, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. But with Buzz's comments about this years might've been too tough, I would think they'd want to dial back.
bobinator
AG
We can't play in both, you can only play one tournament per year. But this one is obviously better than the other one.
miller0926
AG
Didn't even know there was a defined limit of 3 tourney games. I just thought I'd never seen or noticed a team doing so.
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

We can't play in both, you can only play one tournament per year. But this one is obviously better than the other one.

Although with the landscape of college athletics I'm sure this could be deemed as not legal (like everything else) to restrict this.
bobinator
AG
It is worth noting that since Alabama is in it too maybe they're thinking of just scheduling games rather than it be an actual tournament. If they just went ahead and scheduled the matchups then we could do it, though each individual game would count towards our allowed total of non-con games rather than it being an exempt tournament.

I wonder if you actually could play in two tournaments, you just wouldn't get the game exemption for the second one.

I doubt it on the legal front though because the game limit isn't restricting athlete pay, it's a structural rule of the sport itself that schools agree to in order to participate.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.