Incredible post game locker room speech from Buzz

8,343 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Method Man
Aggie Therapist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Someone must be cutting onions in here…watch until the end.

Tobias Funke
AG
Incredible video.

Really hope Buzz puts it together here.
t - cam
AG
He's a leader of men.
t - cam
AG
Tobias Funke said:

Incredible video.

Really hope Buzz puts it together here.

He is actually doing that already. He made an NIT final, 2 sec tournament finals, a 2nd place SEC finish and a 2nd round appearance where he narrowly lost to a 1 seed in OT. He's absolutely running a successful basketball program here.
Tobias Funke
AG
I agree it's moving the right direction. We aren't there yet, but anyone who wants Buzz fired is blind or has a personal bias.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Tobias Funke said:

I agree it's moving the right direction. We aren't there yet, but anyone who wants Buzz fired is blind or has a personal bias.

I've been a Buzz fan for a long time. Wanted us to go after him when we hired Kennedy. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't OK with moving on from him a month or so ago when it looked like we had tanked the season. Thankfully he pulled things back together in the nick of time and damn near had us in the S16. This offseason is critical. We lose a major contributor in Boots and only have one more season of guys like Wade, Manny, Andy, not sure on Solo. He needs to capitalize on the exposure from last week and get some key portal additions so we don't fall off a cliff the following season. I'm rooting hard for him to succeed.
Method Man
This is why we can take good teams to the brink who have better coaching, players, etc.
Gap
AG
We fired a coach that went to 2 Sweet 16s in his last 4 years and have made 1 Round of 32 in Buzz's first 5 years. What Kennedy was doing wasn't good enough, so we fired him and went out and got a "top 10" coach at a "top 10" salary. This salary was over double what we had averaged paying Kennedy over his tenure. While this year ended up meeting some expectations with a tournament win, Buzz's biggest success has been lowering the expectations for the program that we had when we hired him back in 2020.
JJxvi
AG
Kennedy sucked.
Complete Idiot
Method Man said:

This is why we can take good teams to the brink who have better coaching, players, etc.

Isn't "this" part of coaching? Just like recruiting and in game prowess?
Gap
AG
JJxvi said:

Kennedy sucked.
Right, and we fired him 5 years ago, and made a significant investment to do substantially better.
Method Man
Complete Idiot said:

Method Man said:

Isn't "this" part of coaching? Just like recruiting and in game prowess?

Yes. I'm talking about Xs and Os.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
Buzz is an outstanding coach that needs to be here a long time. He will get this team to a sec title and a final 4 soon. If UH didn't find a way to slow down Wade Taylor we would have won by double digits. UH is good enough to win their first title. I hope they do. Reminds me of 1980 when we lost to Louisville in double OT in the Summit. Louisville won the title and no other team was even close to beating them.
bobinator
AG
I'm not sure I'd say he's lowered expectations. I think the general expectation here is that you just make the tournament most of the time. Kennedy made it twice in eight years. Buzz has made it twice in five.

Now, has he achieved what we HOPED we hired him? No, I think we all had visions of being better than we've been.

But he's been good enough to meet the minimum expectations and stay out of risk of being fired.
Know Your Enemy
AG
LincolnBorglum79 said:

Buzz is an outstanding coach that needs to be here a long time. He will get this team to a sec title and a final 4 soon. If UH didn't find a way to slow down Wade Taylor we would have won by double digits. UH is good enough to win their first title. I hope they do. Reminds me of 1980 when we lost to Louisville in double OT in the Summit. Louisville won the title and no other team was even close to beating them.

That doesn't fit his MO so far in his career but the chatter was always that he was trying to get back to Texas so maybe we'll be his last stop.
JJxvi
AG
I assume that football hiring a few high profile dullards over the past couple decades has created this weird "a coach is only as good as what he has done at A&M" mentality? Like the investment was higher? Well, uh yeah.

There is absolutely no comparison between who we hired and who we fired. If you asked a thousand basketball people which is/was a better coach, 999 would ask if you were making a joke before they answered.
JJxvi
AG
Like why would we in any way weigh the fact that Billy Kennedy managed to go to two Sweet 16s somehow and then weigh that more than the fact that Buzz has gone to four of them or whatever?

Especially when its done just to hijack a thread attempting to say something good about our coach?
bobinator
AG
It's also a bizarre ignoring that the two of the last four Kennedy years we weren't even close to making the tournament. In eight years we made it twice, we're vaguely close once in '15 and the other five years weren't even in the realm of close.

Count the Covid year if you want to or not but at worst Buzz has made it twice and was VERY close the other time for three years running out of his five years here.
sincereag
Why does every thread get hijacked and turn into a "Buzz isn't getting the job done" thread. Can't people just appreciate and enjoy a good moment every now and then without having to dwell on the negative side of things. Life is full of ups and downs and having to overcome difficulties and that's exactly what this team did this year.
JJxvi
JJxvi
AG
The current level of our program over basically a nice three year span is roughly "Mark Turgeon"

So is that fine? Or is that not good enough? One thing I know for sure is thats a higher level than "Billy Kennedy"
Gap
AG
JJxvi said:

Like why would we in any way weigh the fact that Billy Kennedy managed to go to two Sweet 16s somehow and then weigh that more than the fact that Buzz has gone to four of them or whatever?
Buzz has been to 1 Sweet 16 in the last 11 seasons.

Billy Kennedy has been to 2 Sweet 16s during that same time period and hasn't been a head coach in the last 5 years.

I agree that Buzz looked like a Hall of Fame coach for his first 4 years at Marquette after taking over for Tom Crean. But that run ended over a decade ago.

Quote:

Especially when its done just to hijack a thread attempting to say something good about our coach?

I was just responding to the posts 4-5 down from the OP. I didn't change the subject - just responding to those. This is how discussion go on a message board.
JJxvi
AG
I doubt anybody that knows ball thinks that Buzz Williams career has been floundering at Virginia Tech and Texas A&M since he left Marquette. Probably a large majority are more impressed than they were 11 years ago. The idea that Buzz has sucked for a decade is dumb. Im sorry.
Gap
AG
JJxvi said:

I doubt anybody that knows ball thinks that Buzz Williams career has been floundering at Virginia Tech and Texas A&M since he left Marquette. Probably a large majority are more impressed than they were 11 years ago. The idea that Buzz has sucked for a decade is dumb. Im sorry.
Not sucks. Didn't say that. Just kind of capped here at building a top 40 type program. If that is what we aspire to, then we have our guy. Only one season in the last 11, inside the top 30. NET rankings below:

Marquette
2014 - 68

Virginia Tech
2015 - 175
2016 - 63
2017 - 50
2018 - 33
2019 - 13

Texas A&M
2020 - 131
2021 - 137
2022 - 33
2023 - 33
2024 - 35
BudFox7
Jfc how did this get hijacked into a Kennedy thread. Kennedy was the worst coach since Melvin. He ****ing sucked ass. The guy put the program into irrelevance. Move on
W
AG
Buzz vs. Kennedy

is a classic standard deviation argument

Kennedy had bad teams and great teams -- high standard deviation

Buzz has had good teams and very good teams -- low standard deviation

take your pick
t - cam
AG
Gap said:

JJxvi said:

Not sucks. Didn't say that. Just kind of capped here at building a top 40 type program. If that is what we aspire to, then we have our guy. Only one season in the last 11, inside the top 30. NET rankings below:

Marquette
2014 - 68

Virginia Tech
2015 - 175
2016 - 63
2017 - 50
2018 - 33
2019 - 13

Texas A&M
2020 - 131
2021 - 137
2022 - 33
2023 - 33
2024 - 35

Drawing the line at 30 was awfully convenient based on 5 of the last 7 being top 35.
t - cam
AG
W said:

Buzz vs. Kennedy

is a classic standard deviation argument

Kennedy had bad teams and great teams -- high standard deviation

Buzz has had good teams and very good teams -- low standard deviation

take your pick

He had 1 great team and a decent team that had a lights out game against a 2 seed.
Method Man
Marc Ag pointed out the best part was him basically saying Wildens sucks at defending the pick and roll LOL.
Gap
AG
t - cam said:

Gap said:

JJxvi said:

Marquette
2014 - 68

Virginia Tech
2015 - 175
2016 - 63
2017 - 50
2018 - 33
2019 - 13

Texas A&M
2020 - 131
2021 - 137
2022 - 33
2023 - 33
2024 - 35

Drawing the line at 30 was awfully convenient based on 5 of the last 7 being top 35.
I can draw the line at 33 if you'd like.

30 or 33 if you prefer is what the information says. It isn't some wild conclusion.
EliteZags
AG
I'd look at previous 2 seasons being a competent committee away from at worst a bid and a 2nd round, this season a few plays and avg FT rate from S16, which would've put him on BCG level

Kennedy's best season needed a UNI rd1 upset and unfathomable comeback for 1 of his S16s, only us and UK finished that season ranked in the SEC with only 3 bids, vs 5/4 ranked and 8/6 bids this past 2 seasons where Kennedy wouldn't have sniffed 15-3
bobinator
AG
I mean if we're at least top 35 for 4-5 years in a row then that's setting a new floor for the program. BCG, Turgeon and Kennedy combined only hit that mark six times, each hit it twice.

So, yeah, for now that is what we aspire to be. I dream of the day where we can justify not being happy with being a consistent top 35 team every year.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Great video and special moment. Some of you should start a 101st thread about why Buzz should be gone or hasn't been successful enough or just post in one of the other 100 available and appreciate this one for what it is.
LB12Diamond
AG
The only comparing Buzz to other coaches on this thread should be in the area clearly shown in the video.

There are plenty of other threads to compare other areas.
greg.w.h
AG
LB12Diamond said:

The only comparing Buzz to other coaches on this thread should be in the area clearly shown in the video.

There are plenty of other threads to compare other areas.
We don't have much video of BK interacting with the players but it would be unwise to think he was a man of awful character without evidence. The evidence we had was that he was a high character hire and hired because he wanted to make Texas A&M his final stop.

Once he was fired, though, he was fired and we turned the page. Not gunna unturn it and zero chance we pile up buyouts to chew through. Basketball needs to grow organically to have the same kind of rabid support if we eventually want that kind of commitment. Jimbo was replaced because there was a motivated fan base saying it was absolutely necessary.

I appreciate how Buzz leads the team. And this video confirmed he goes deep with them and is transparent and accountable to them. It's impossible to know exactly how that translates to the court, but I think this matters in ways that reflect the character of our school as well.

Just my opinion of course.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.