Incredible post game locker room speech from Buzz

8,336 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Method Man
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bdp514am said:

Buzz is such a good person. I do want him to succeed here. I grew very frustrated with him this season. And I think the game has changed in ways that make his defensive strategy less effective, especially the ridiculous new charge rules. But I'd send my son to play for him in a heartbeat
I think I'd argue that his ability to teach his defense needs to get better rather than it being the defense itself.

We run a truly wild defense, and we shift it around some that makes it hard to follow in games. I mean at times you can see our opponents aren't even sure what we're in and they sort of dribble in circles trying to figure it out.

But because of that, sometimes it's hard to tell what's actually the scheme and what's someone screwing up. I think the easiest example is giving up the baseline to opponents. We are not coached to do that. Obviously right? Nobody is creating a defense trying to give up free runs to the basket along the baseline.

What happens though, especially against teams with really good athletes, is our players overestimate their own athletic ability. They're too far inside because they think they can recover, or they're too far off the baseline because they think they can still cut it off, but they can't. That's a coaching and fundamentals issue, not a scheme issue.

The other complicating factor for us defensively this year is our two best offensive players are mediocre-at-best defenders, and one of them is very small. If we ran some kind of traditional defense our opponents would have just attacked Wade and Boots.
Knoxville_Ag_08
AG
The market is the market - I totally agree! Results matter and 5 years is more than enough to get your guys in place and develop them. I don't believe Buzz is on a path to get the Ags to a top 11 program or even a top 20 program commensurate with his pay.

So what do you do?
Stack rank performance and pay and evaluate any outliers. A generous results-based approach puts Buzz in the 25-35 range (unranked team losing in the round of 32 in his best year) - paid at 11th is a red flag.

Check my analysis, the 10th and 12th highest-paid coaches are getting much better results consistently.

Conclude I am paying 25% above market given the salaries of the 25-35th paid coaches.

So what's next - it makes even less sense to fire Buzz given his bad contract.
Set expectations - Performance Improvement Plan. Get results according to your pay.
Work toward developing a cheaper option that can get similar results for 25% less or start recruiting a more expensive option to get the results I am paying for.

This happens every day in the corporate world... you get paid 25% more than your peers who are outperforming you, improve or find a new job...
Topher17
AG
His top level pay has nothing to do with our expected results and everything to do with that being what it took to get a coach with his skins on the wall to come to Texas A&M to coach basketball. For your corporate world analogy the same thing applies. Smaller, less proven companies pay above market rate for employees all the time to lure them away from well known name brand companies because they have to pay better to attract the talent.

We just put together three straight KenPom Top 40 (35 actually) teams for the first time since 2006-2008. Sure we have not reached the heights yet that we'd all dreamed of when Buzz was hired, but we are building a base level of success that our program has only seen once in our entire history.

bobinator
AG
But that's not the whole picture is it? It's not just Buzz's pay vs competitors pay vs results. It's Buzz's pay, competitor's pay, and the players pay now.

Now obviously we don't have true numbers in front of us, but word is that Eddie Lampkin was making 6 figures at TCU. So as a SUPER CONSERVATIVE estimate, let's say the average salary of a major conference basketball player on a decent-but-not-elite team (like TCU) is 100K/yr. So you're looking at a payroll of about 1.3 mil. Now, Alabama is an elite team. Do we think Brandon Miller was only making 100K there? They have the #4 recruiting class in the country this year, do we think they're paying market average?

So the question isn't just Buzz's pay, because there could be value in overpaying for the coach if you're underpaying for the talent.

To use your corporate analogy, it's possible that Buzz is maximizing production while spending fewer resources than our competitors.

But the other thing is that analogy doesn't really work because the talent pool is so much smaller than in any corporate world. So when you have an opening, if you want to sign one of the best candidates, you have to pay the market rate.

Let's say there was no buyout, Buzz gets kidnapped and never to be seen again. We don't owe him a buyout at all. But we have to go hire a new coach. we're not just negotiating against the results history of the candidates, we're negotiating against every other team in the market.

Washington just signed Danny Sprinkle, a coach that has never coached at a high-major level, never made it out of the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament, and has only been a head coach for five years, for 6 yrs and 22 mil ($3.68M).

Michigan hired Dusty May, a coach that has six years experience, for 5 years at $3.75M. Now May did have one really good season. He took FAU to the Final Four. But he doesn't have a long track record.

Neither of those coaches have anything close to Buzz's track record, but that's the market right now. So if we were in the market, trying to compete with other schools to hire these kinds of coaches, we're not even saving money. We're maybe saving a few hundred thousand dollars for a coach that we have no idea if it will work out or not.
Knoxville_Ag_08
AG
That's fair - my example was more about internal results and rankings, I see how it doesn't jive.

The facilities in College Station are top-notch, I would argue we are a big brand. Either way, smaller companies pay those people with high expectations.... 5 years in and marginal improvement based on your predecessor is not ok.
Knoxville_Ag_08
AG
I didn't think of it that way - yes, you should look at the salaries of the players when you make decisions on what acceptable is... Great point

What about my Mussleman (12th) and Oats (10th) comparison... I don't think they are paying their players more than we are... their facilities at Bama are top-notch, comparable to aTm... Arkansas has to be worse.

Look at 9, Sampson, (UH) not a top-notch facility, not a big-name school, not a ton of NIL... better results for $120k more than Buzz....

I like Buzz, I like what he says... He's just not getting the results he should be after 5 years and this salary.
Topher17
AG
From a program health and consistency standpoint it isn't just marginal improvement over his predecessor though. It is three seasons in a row significantly better than six of his predecessors eight seasons. The 2018 team finished 29th, just four spots better than the last two years and six spots better than this year. This year and '18 aren't far off at all other than things clicking on the right day in the Round of 32. From a fan frustration standpoint they didn't play out all that dissimilar either.

I'm not here to relitigate Kennedy, but where we are as a program right now and our trajectory is significantly better than any time since 2010. I'm not saying it is where we want to get to or expect it to be, but our program as a whole is in a much better place.
bobinator
AG
It's only marginal improvement if you're taking a shallow look at the results.

Let's use KenPom just because it's easier to look at the history than the NET.

Over Buzz's first five seasons our average KenPom is 73.8
Over Kennedy's first five seasons our average was 79.8

So first five seasons, pretty close. Kennedy had one really good year, Buzz has three pretty good years, but Buzz's bad years were worse than Kennedy.

But here's the big difference. It's fair to say it takes a coach a couple years to get going right? So we're just going to look at what they've done after their first couple of years. Once they're "established."

Kennedy's last five years our average was 51.2
Buzz's last three years our average is 33.6.

And THAT is a huge difference.
bobinator
AG
Alabama and Arkansas are definitely paying their players more than we are. Alabama has the #4 recruiting class in the country and I don't think Brandon Miller was playing there for cheap. Nate Oats also just got a new extension this offseason.

Arkansas has also signed some incredible talent and some big names out of the portal.

And Houston probably is paying more than we are too, but Sampson and Houston are kind of a special case that It's not really worth comparing us to. Sampson is an elite coach, but not one that just anyone could have, or would have, hired. His salary is below what his actual market rate should be if he didn't have the past that he does.
Lake08
Gap said:

We fired a coach that went to 2 Sweet 16s in his last 4 years and have made 1 Round of 32 in Buzz's first 5 years. What Kennedy was doing wasn't good enough, so we fired him and went out and got a "top 10" coach at a "top 10" salary. This salary was over double what we had averaged paying Kennedy over his tenure. While this year ended up meeting some expectations with a tournament win, Buzz's biggest success has been lowering the expectations for the program that we had when we hired him back in 2020.

Kennedy wasn't healthy
Pumpkinhead
AG
Glad to see this board seems now back to a Mark Turgeon era level of discontent because the program is only making the NCAA tournament every year but not advancing far enough.
JJxvi
AG
Knoxville_Ag_08 said:

The market is the market - I totally agree! Results matter and 5 years is more than enough to get your guys in place and develop them. I don't believe Buzz is on a path to get the Ags to a top 11 program or even a top 20 program commensurate with his pay.

So what do you do?
Stack rank performance and pay and evaluate any outliers. A generous results-based approach puts Buzz in the 25-35 range (unranked team losing in the round of 32 in his best year) - paid at 11th is a red flag.

Check my analysis, the 10th and 12th highest-paid coaches are getting much better results consistently.

Conclude I am paying 25% above market given the salaries of the 25-35th paid coaches.

Set expectations - Performance Improvement Plan. Get results according to your pay.
Work toward developing a cheaper option that can get similar results for 25% less or start recruiting a more expensive option to get the results I am paying for.

This happens every day in the corporate world... you get paid 25% more than your peers who are outperforming you, improve or find a new job...
This post is funnier when you know who the 12th highest paid coach is.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
Knoxville_Ag_08 said:

So what do you do?

Gee! Let's apply strict corporate principles to sports and entertainment!

Performance improvement plans? Great!

Then I can feel like I'm right back in the office when I am watching college basketball!

Now THAT'S what I'm looking for!
Frank Grimes
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Tobias Funke said:

Kozmozag said:

So does buzz only recruit devout believers?

Clearly not since he stated he didn't know WL was a believer when he joined the program

Hassan Diarra is Muslim.

Maybe all the Jesus stuff is why Diarra left. He's doing great at Connecticut.
Method Man
He left to be with his brother, closer to home and to play for a better team.
GrayMatter
AG
Frank Grimes said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Tobias Funke said:

Kozmozag said:

So does buzz only recruit devout believers?

Clearly not since he stated he didn't know WL was a believer when he joined the program

Hassan Diarra is Muslim.

Maybe all the Jesus stuff is why Diarra left. He's doing great at Connecticut.
Making **** up to fit your narrative and Exhibit A on why we can't have nice things.
NumeroUno
AG
Good stuff.
czar_iv
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Comparing Buzz to Kennedy is a false comparison anyway if you are including the Stansbury years with them. It's like you guys don't remember how painfully horrible those bad Kennedy teams were.
Ditto ... Kennedy just recruited. He developed nothing.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
czar_iv
AG
Method Man said:

He left to be with his brother, closer to home and to play for a better team.
UConn is a better team, but this team with Diarra would've definitely been a better team and backcourt.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
Method Man
Correct

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.