Matt Painter

2,564 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Redfishag93
Double Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When you look at how Purdue gets the fit the have and have moved on from the many disappointing tournament runs that Painter provided.

This is why A&M needs to see the fit in Buzz Williams. When you aren't a blue blood you have to have fit. One of these days Buzz will break through. And just moving on to start over is madness.
Biz Ag
AG
Agree.

I was stunned when I heard Painter had been head coach at Purdue for 19 years. I knew it had been a while, but not nearly two decades.

Double Diamond
And a lot of tourney issues. But when you have a fit you ride with it. This is the perfect example of riding with a fit. A&M can't do better than Buzz Williams.
frenchtoast
Good for Painter and Purdue!

I hate the instant gratification mindset that seems to have infiltrated everything these days. That's my old man yelling at cloud statement for the day.
Muy
AG
Biz Ag said:

Agree.

I was stunned when I heard Painter had been head coach at Purdue for 19 years. I knew it had been a while, but not nearly two decades.

When the tech startup I joined in 2003 started to grow, years later we had Painter (who was new to Purdue) come speak at our little sales dinner. Hadn't thought of his name until I heard he was still coaching Purdue this year.
AgEfan
Great coach and a great fit at Purdue
Double Diamond
And Buzz is a great fit here despite up and down issues.
bobinator
AG
It's not just fit though; there's at least SOME level of success you need to have.

We all know there's a portion of every fan base that just can't wait to fire the coach, but of the realistic part of the fan base, it was a worthy question back in February of whether the level of success Buzz was achieving was good enough. At the time it looked like we were heading for the NIT.

But then we pulled out of the funk, made the tournament, and won a game. So no sane fan of ours thinks we should fire Buzz. The bar here is very low. You just need to make the field more often than not, and you're the best coach in program history and there's no chance we'll fire you.

But there is still a bar.

Painter made the tournament his second year and then didn't miss it again for six years, winning at least one game every year. (That alone would make you the best coach in A&M history.) He then missed it twice in a row and now hasn't missed it since.
Inca
AG
Painter (who I went to high school with - he's a couple years younger) also was only the second 1 seed to lose to a 16 seed.

I am also surprised it's been that long that he's coached there. Time flies.

But overall he has had sustained success there and they have not over reacted to a few blips along the way.

Edited to correct that they were the 2nd 1 seed to lose in the first round.
cutter
Double Diamond said:

. A&M can't do better than Buzz Williams.

I very pro Buzz, but I think it is possible to do better. However, I also think if we fired him it is more likely we would end up worse.

As others have stated, the bar is making the tourney "most" years. Do that and you eventually catch some breaks and make a run. Hopefully, next year we put together a complete season and get a good seed.
Double Diamond
bobinator said:

It's not just fit though; there's at least SOME level of success you need to have.

We all know there's a portion of every fan base that just can't wait to fire the coach, but of the realistic part of the fan base, it was a worthy question back in February of whether the level of success Buzz was achieving was good enough. At the time it looked like we were heading for the NIT.

But then we pulled out of the funk, made the tournament, and won a game. So no sane fan of ours thinks we should fire Buzz. The bar here is very low. You just need to make the field more often than not, and you're the best coach in program history and there's no chance we'll fire you.

Painter made the tournament his second year and then didn't miss it again for six years, winning at least one game every year. (That alone would make you the best coach in A&M history.) He then missed it twice in a row and now hasn't missed it since.

Go look at Painter lots and lots and lots of first weekend endings. After 19 years he has had a few sweet 16s but it isn't many.
PatAg
AG
Double Diamond said:

bobinator said:

Go look at Painter lots and lots and lots of first weekend endings. After 19 years he has had a few sweet 16s but it isn't many.
19 seasons
15 NCAA tournaments
4 Round of 64
4 Round of 32
5 sweet 16s
an elite 8
Championship game (possible title)
Multiple Big Ten championships, lot of Top 3s

There is no world you can pretend this is not great.

From an A&M perspective, we would be ecstatic with 15 out of 19 appearances.
Im sure some would eventually get fed up and demand a title
Rocinante
This is a nonsensical argument. Matt painter has nothing to do with Buzz.
Rocinante
Purdue is playing for the national championship. We too have a coach. Makes you think.
Redfishag93
Things were looking kinda shaky before the South Carolina game. We got back on track at that point and ended up having a very good year.

Buzz deserves a lot of credit for the very good year we had.

I think buzz is a good guy who gets a lot out of his players, and his players really like him in spite of him working them harder than most coaches. That's not an easy thing to accomplish.

I wish he could recruit a little better but maybe he's hamstrung by lack of NIL money. I don't think any of us know for sure, but it seems like we miss on a lot of players because we are outbid.

I am optimistic about next year with 5 good players returning including a possible all American, one of the very best rebounders/defenders in America, a blossoming possible all conference guard (manny) and solo with all conference type talent.

I hope buzz tweaks our defensive scheme of giving away the baseline without trapping it because our defense needs to be better next year if we want to have a great year.

I think buzz has our guys playing very hard defensively, but that little schematic tweak could improve our defense significantly imo.

We also need a couple of transfers, most importantly a guard who can handle it and score.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.