Is there a chance?

2,262 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by agent-maroon
ahou614
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Buzz Williams goes full BCG and takes the Kentucky job? If he is able to get these blue chip players to commit to his system, that is a scary good team. I have my doubts that actually McDonalds All Americans want to actually work that hard at basketball, but its a fear I have with Cal leaving the Wildcats.
Warsteiner
Nah
They wouldn't want buzz and I don't think he would want them
TexasAGGIEinAR
Given the opportunity, Buzz would definitely retire here. I don't believe UK is a Buzz type school. He has a hard work mentality and develops players. Traditionally, kids go to UK to get experience and go pro. I think of it as an OU or Texas Tech type football team hiring the Iowa head coach. Sure, he may be pretty good, but those teams clash heavily with his philosophy.
TopoTacos
AG
Nope, Buzz isn't going to be the flashy recruiter that Kentucky is looking for. Big Blue is accustomed to blue blood status and Buzz's system isn't going to be appealing to the highest profile guys.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Their first 25-30 choices would have to decline before they think about offering Buzz. He fits worse there than. Billy Clyde did.
greg.w.h
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Their first 25-30 choices would have to decline before they think about offering Buzz. He fits worse there than. Billy Clyde did.
So it COULD happen???
frenchtoast
There's always a chance
Pumpkinhead
AG
ahou614 said:

Buzz Williams goes full BCG and takes the Kentucky job? If he is able to get these blue chip players to commit to his system, that is a scary good team. I have my doubts that actually McDonalds All Americans want to actually work that hard at basketball, but its a fear I have with Cal leaving the Wildcats.
Odds that Kentucky completes the following sequence:

Hires a Texas A&M coach (BCG) who was a bad fit and is fired after 2 seasons
Hires Calipari who is great for about 10 years and then mediocre for about 5, and then when that guy leaves...
Hires a Texas A&M coach (Buzz) who looks like would be a bad fit

Is approximately zero. Actually, not approximately...it is literally zero.

BQ_90
AG
frenchtoast said:

There's always a chance
UK will hire Bobinator before they hire Buzz
Pumpkinhead
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

I am skeptical that Buzz Williams would even make their Top-100 list. They are not going to hire BCG then hire Cal then hire Buzz (doing an A&M bookend approach on Cal's career there). Their fans would riot. The local media would skewer them. The AD (and the board members who approved it) would have to go into witness protection probably. It would be like the 'Mark Stoops to A&M' hire reaction from A&M fans times 100X.
rangerdanger
AG
TopoTacos said:

Nope, Buzz isn't going to be the flashy recruiter that Kentucky is looking for. Big Blue is accustomed to blue blood status and Buzz's system isn't going to be appealing to the highest profile guys.

Exactly. Love Buzz but his roster pickups reek of mid major.
JJxvi
AG
Disagree on the fans reaction. Their fans like Buzz. The guy they are negative about is Scott Drew.
JJxvi
AG
UK fans seem to be saying Drew has been offered the job. If so, I have no doubt he will be their coach. I imagine McCasland will have a decision to make.
JJxvi
AG
Also already seeing fans on X with pitchforks and torches for Barnhart about hiring Drew
halfastros81
AG
They are never going to be happy unless they win every game every year .
William_C_G
AG
The failure of the BCG hire means that UK will not hire another A&M coach for decades.
ahou614
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

ahou614 said:

Hires Calipari who is great for about 10 years and then mediocre for about 5, and then when that guy leaves...

I simple "no" would have sufficed.
Rocinante
ahou614 said:

You don't actually think that Buzz works his guys harder than coach Cal or K did or than Hurley does do you?
Booma94
AG
Rocinante said:

ahou614 said:

You don't actually think that Buzz works his guys harder than coach Cal or K did or than Hurley does do you?
I don't necessarily think that Buzz works the guys harder than K or Hurley (I think he does work them harder than Cal). But I think the McDonald's All-Americans require more ego stroking and are not willing to work as hard as non- 5-star guys.

I think of it like this- on a Friday night, the 10 getting ready to go out on the town isn't going to put near the effort in to get ready that the 7 is. The 10 knows she's going to get attention at the club. The 7 knows she has to work harder to get the same attention that the 10 naturally gets. So the 7 works harder to prep than the 10 does.

Buzz gets great results from 7's because they know they have to work harder. 10's aren't willing to put in the extra effort because they feel like their talent is enough. I don't know if Buzz's approach would fly with 10's, and Big Blue fans want 10's. They don't want to lower themselves to accepting 7's.
agent-maroon
AG
ahou614 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

ahou614 said:

I simple "no" would have sufficed.
This is the difference between "no" and "HELL, NO!!!"

Not an answer that should be given with subtlety IMO
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.