If we are done- how do you grade the portal haul?

17,670 Views | 171 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by EliteZags
MarcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CactusThomas said:

MarcAg said:

CactusThomas said:

Pumpkinhead said:

So which thread is the one where we speculate whom Luicci is thinking of.

Looking at the best available transfers list, some top-ranked guys who have a clear connection to Texas or Buzz is:

JT Toppin (New Mexico)
Tranzarien White (UNC-Wilmington)
Arthur Kaluma (Kansas State)
Jaxson Robinson (BYU)

Anyone else that folks might think of as possible candidates with some sort of connection?

Do we think it may be someone who is testing NBA draft waters (going to draft combine) and thus if it happens might be after that plays out?

I read Billy's comments differently. There may or may not be someone in particular that we are close to adding. Rather there is someone who is leaving and that is where the speculation should be in my opinion.

Pretty sure you read that wrong. Buzz just tweeted last night everyone that isn't in the portal is coming back. Why would he tweet that yesterday if somebody was leaving?

"Not necessarily done. They CAN ADD ONE MORE"

Billy's words, my emphasis.

Do you even bro math, bro?

Nobody is leaving bro.
CactusThomas
AG
How do we add one more? Will it be a walk on?
AgEfan
CactusThomas said:

MarcAg said:

CactusThomas said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Looking at the best available transfers list, some top-ranked guys who have a clear connection to Texas or Buzz is:

JT Toppin (New Mexico)
Jaxson Robinson (BYU)

Anyone else that folks might think of as possible candidates with some sort of connection?

Do we think it may be someone who is testing NBA draft waters (going to draft combine) and thus if it happens might be after that plays out?

I read Billy's comments differently. There may or may not be someone in particular that we are close to adding. Rather there is someone who is leaving and that is where the speculation should be in my opinion.

Pretty sure you read that wrong. Buzz just tweeted last night everyone that isn't in the portal is coming back. Why would he tweet that yesterday if somebody was leaving?

"Not necessarily done. They CAN ADD ONE MORE"

Billy's words, my emphasis.

Do you even bro math, bro?

So you think Billy is saying somebody is leaving and you think Billy knows that, but Buzz doesn't know somebody is leaving? LOL

Billy is saying don't worry about the numbers, they are going to make it work.
CactusThomas
AG
I only see 9 people in that picture
AgEfan
CactusThomas said:

Yes there are 9 people in the picture. Not sure what your point is, but your math is correct.
CactusThomas
AG
I guess my point is that I feel confident that Billy knows what is going on and certainly Buzz does too. I never meant to imply that he didn't. I guess it is only me that is confused as to where the additional scholarship is going to come from. I wish you guys would explain it. Maybe I don't like bro math after all.
AgEfan
I don't think anyone is questioning whether Billy knows what is going on. I think everybody here believes Billy when he said we are trying to add one more. We are questioning what you are interpreting. Saying somebody is leaving we don't know about. Buzz didn't have to tweet that out last night. He could have waited. He actually never had to tweet anything about who is coming back. He isn't tweeting that out if all those kids hadn't confirmed they are coming back. Billy knows that too.

Billy is saying don't spend time worrying about the scholarship numbers are, just know they are trying to add somebody.
CactusThomas
AG
Ok thanks. I was under the impression there were still scholarship limits. I won't worry about it. I wasn't suggesting one of the nine confirmed players was leaving, even tho things can change quickly.

Maybe I have been following recruiting too long but have seen lots of strange things where people we were counting on don't pan out for one reason or another.
Method Man
CactusThomas said:

Four are vampires and cannot be photographed
Pumpkinhead
AG
CactusThomas said:

Pumpkinhead said:

JT Toppin (New Mexico)
Jaxson Robinson (BYU)

Two of the above guys in my speculative list are in NBA draft combine May 12 - 19. Toppin and Robinson. June 16th is the last day to withdraw from draft. Arthur Kaluma on my list has also declared for the. 2024 NBA draft.

If any of the 'legit' possibilities Luicci mentioned are testing NBA draft waters, then there may still be a bit of time for things to play out.

What I took from Luicci's comments is not a guarantee that we'll add another player. But rather a guarantee that if we wanted to add another player, then there is room on the roster to do so. And that the staff is currently in legitimate contact with one or more good players remaining in the portal.
EastTX_Ag21
AG
Maybe someone who is on the roster on scholarship is coming off scholarship to open up a spot?
CactusThomas
AG
I didn't think that was allowed
PJYoung
AG
CactusThomas said:

I didn't think that was allowed

What is allowed is very much in flux.
CactusThomas
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

What I took from Luicci's comments is not a guarantee that we'll add another player. But rather a guarantee that if we wanted to add another player, then there is room on the roster to do so. And that the staff is currently in legitimate contact with one or more good players remaining in the portal.

I guess we did read it the same way
ChucoAg
AG
I read it as we're getting another guy, don't worry about the numbers, it'll work
aggiez03
AG
Question...

I am pretty sure you cannot go from scholarship to walk-on at the same school, but isn't there well documented evidence of kids leaving scholarships to walk-on to the A&M football team?

Pretty sure the Longstreet (new QB commit) older brother is a PWO this fall coming over from Louisville.
How about the older Overton brother? And maybe the Rice LB that just re-entered the portal after spring?

I think all of them left scholly elsewhere to walk-on at A&M.

With NIL worth more than a scholarship, any reason you couldn't just bump a $250,000 offer to $300,000 to cover the cost of school and save a scholarship ?
MarcAg
AG
ChucoAg said:

I read it as we're getting another guy, don't worry about the numbers, it'll work
Yeah. Trying to crunch the numbers is a good way to gauge how many guys you think we can add. But if we add more there is no point in then stressing over how were we able to add somebody else. We added somebody else, so who cares how and what does it matter if we can't figure how we made it work. I'm just glad we might be adding more, even if I don't understand the how
EastTX_Ag21
AG
pierceshipp
AG
he would have to be a grad transfer
JJxvi
AG
Historically the issue with going from scholarship player to walk-on doesnt have to do with simply being a scholarship player and that you cant go back. The issue is that you can't be moved to a walk-on if you were recruited as a scholarship player. Schools cannot move someone to a walk on that they recruited by paying for official visits and all that stuff that you do to recruit scholarship players.

So you can move a walk-on to scholarship, and then the they can go back to walk on later.

But you cannot recruit a player with all the bells and whistles and coaches visits, and pay for them to come see your campus, and then have them ever be a walk-on at your school after that.
MarcAg
AG
pierceshipp said:

he would have to be a grad transfer
There is not a transfer restriction within conference in basketball. I didn't realize Kugel was not going to Kansas but I see he backed out of that. His comment saying i'll see you again makes me thinks he is going to another SEC school. Maybe Arkansas, maybe Kentucky, maybe back to Florida. Not reading that comment as a hint he is going to be an Aggie
pierceshipp
AG
ohhhh got you. Kugel would be huge, I thought he was committed to Kansas as well but I guess not anymore
pierceshipp
AG
But if we are going to possibly make a big splash, i'd want Kaluma
MarcAg
AG
pierceshipp said:

But if we are going to possibly make a big splash, i'd want Kaluma

To me that's as big of a splash we can make. He gives us something we don't have which is a player with good length who can play on the perimeter. But everybody wants him, so hard to imagine we could pull it off

Brandon Gardner seems realistic and mentioned we were in his top 6. 4 years of eligibility. 7 foot wing span. Close to Robert Williams type athleticism. That also gives us something we don't have, he just isn't proven at this level at this time. But you can't teach size and athleticism.
pierceshipp
AG
Gardner just committed to ASU
pierceshipp
AG
https://www.instagram.com/p/C6y6ivXuETr/?igsh=MTFpbDdkd3NqZzdvdw==
Method Man
Dumb move! Super dumb!
Post removed:
by user
Method Man
What's the latest we've signed a transfer?
MarcAg
AG
Leveque was in July. But there wasn't a window that closed early like there is now. He didn't go into the portal until mid June
gstu11
Boots in early August
EliteZags
AG
proof there's no such thing as too many wings

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.