OT: "Bryan-College Station"

7,814 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by TyHolden
Turf96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Say what you want. Spend time at the two schools north and two schools south. There is a clear division. We are not talking outliers we are talking the median of the population.

I just get sick and tired of the Texas A&M university is Bryan. No it isn't. Just imagine if the city of Bryan never had all these high end minds come to school here. That for sure contributed to a breed up program. Some stayed and lifted it up a little bit.

Yes there is a lot of cross over between the two towns. Yes Bryan has tried to contribute. All that being said College Station is a magnet for outside folks. Bryan is the native population. They are very different if you spent much time in both.
AWP 97
AG
This is a very interesting point. I never thought about it that way. Of course, I was comfortable back in the 90s saying BCS or Bryan-College Station. I never understood the desire for students who mostly only lived in the area for 4-6 years to care about a competition between the two cities. There is plenty to go around for all the surrounding communities especially as more Ags move back to the area. It's better for the University to have a strong relationship with the metropolitan area.
TyHolden
AG
I'm waiting for it to be BCSN when that new monorail runs from Bryan to Navasota. This will be the new gameday travel.
woodometer
AG
Well technically Davis Diamond is at Texas A&M, its own entity on State Land, bordered by both Bryan and College Station
MaroonStain
AG
TxAg8908 said:

MaroonStain said:

TxAg8908 said:

Saying Bryan-College Station is stupid af. Sharp is an idiot.

Only been happening for like 50 years but okay.

Wrong

Heavy TA poster chiming in strong with 77th post in 12 years.
TarponChaser
Wasn't there some kind of administrative consolidation of the two cities several years ago? And officially it's Bryan-College Station now, IIRC.
twk
AG
TarponChaser said:

Wasn't there some kind of administrative consolidation of the two cities several years ago? And officially it's Bryan-College Station now, IIRC.
No
Schrute Farms
TarponChaser said:

No, it's actually worsened. The two cities have ended joint committees and posture over territorial issues.

Bryan's made big strides with their downtown restoration and creation of Midtown Park. CS has fumbled in some of their recent endeavors and the cities are becoming more equal, but also more competitive.
William_C_G
AG
Now that A&M has set the precedent by granting Bryan's request to be mentioned, 20 years from now Snook will demand to be included because it has contributed so many kolaches to the growth of Aggies' waistlines.
BiochemAg97
AG
William_C_G said:

Now that A&M has set the precedent by granting Bryan's request to be mentioned, 20 years from now Snook will demand to be included because it has contributed so many kolaches to the growth of Aggies' waistlines.

They will probably make there move sooner claiming their contribution to Schloss's horse ranch as a reason for our baseball NC.
TyHolden
AG
TarponChaser said:

last time they got together....

Charpie
AG
College Station = Austin
Bryan = Round Rock

Living in Bryan is awesome.
Complete Idiot
TxAg8908 said:

MaroonStain said:

TxAg8908 said:

Saying Bryan-College Station is stupid af. Sharp is an idiot.

Only been happening for like 50 years but okay.

Wrong
EVA3
AG
Turf96 said:

All that being said College Station is a magnet for outside folks. Bryan is the native population. They are very different if you spent much time in both.
Why I love Bryan for $600, Alex.
missinAggieland
AG
BCG Disciple said:

I like how Sharp gets blamed for everything any poster doesn't like.

See Hearne's post above. It was his WHEREAS filled decree.

GrapevineAg
AG
Boom - head shot!
Frank Grimes
AG
Does Bryan still have the Ptarmigan Club? It's alright by me.
Mister Mystery Guest
From the Faces in the Crowd page of the June 9, 1969 issue of Sports Illustrated:

"Rob Schleider, a pitcher for the Bryan (Tex.) A&M Consolidated Tigers, threw a perfect game against Crockett High, striking out all 21 batters. In 80 innings this season, Rob has pitched two other no-hitters and struck out no fewer than 147 batters."

https://vault.si.com/vault/1969/06/09/faces-in-the-crowd
TyHolden
AG
Mister Mystery Guest said:

From the Faces in the Crowd page of the June 9, 1969 issue of Sports Illustrated:

"Rob Schleider, a pitcher for the Bryan (Tex.) A&M Consolidated Tigers, threw a perfect game against Crockett High, striking out all 21 batters. In 80 innings this season, Rob has pitched two other no-hitters and struck out no fewer than 147 batters."

does he have any eligibility left?
Azeew
Turf96 said:

Say what you want. Spend time at the two schools north and two schools south. There is a clear division. We are not talking outliers we are talking the median of the population.

I just get sick and tired of the Texas A&M university is Bryan. No it isn't. Just imagine if the city of Bryan never had all these high end minds come to school here. That for sure contributed to a breed up program. Some stayed and lifted it up a little bit.

Yes there is a lot of cross over between the two towns. Yes Bryan has tried to contribute. All that being said College Station is a magnet for outside folks. Bryan is the native population. They are very different if you spent much time in both.

LOL. Geez dude. Pull your panties out of your panoch.
Baron de Bastrop
AG
Turf96's arrogant attitude about College Station is a big turnoff to outsiders and returning Ags who are delighted by the transformation that has taken place in Bryan over the past 10+ years. Despite ignorant people like Turf96, I love College Station. But I adore Bryan. BCS is so easy and shouldn't be controversial geez.
TexasRebel
AG
It's been B/CS for at least 40 years.
AggieCVQ
Bryan's awesome with awesome people. WGAS.
MatthewRothell
AG
Yes. Bryan > College Station.

I love when people try to throw the money card saying that's where all the rich people went when literally the two nicest neighborhoods are in Bryan. Miramont & Traditions.
AgsinGA
AG
BCG Disciple said:

I like how Sharp gets blamed for everything any poster doesn't like.
If the dumb idea fits.....
AG
I have nothing against Bryan, but it just sounds dumb. Texas A&M, specifically the sports stadiums are in College Station. If they are broadcasting a golf tourney from Traditions then I would expect them to be in Bryan and not College Station.

The Metro Area is Bryan-College Station. It is not a combined city.

This would be the equivalent to a Houston Astros game being broadcast live from Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land or t.u. games coming to you live from Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos.
TexasRebel
AG
Or Fox broadcasting from Waco-Temple-Killeen?
TarponChaser
1939 said:

I have nothing against Bryan, but it just sounds dumb. Texas A&M, specifically the sports stadiums are in College Station. If they are broadcasting a golf tourney from Traditions then I would expect them to be in Bryan and not College Station.

This would be the equivalent to a Houston Astros game being broadcast live from Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land or t.u. games coming to you live from Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos.

If the Cowboys claim Dallas despite always having been in Arlington or the Jets & Giants claiming New York despite being in New Jersey I think these announcers can be given some leeway. They're probably given the Bryan-College Station" nomenclature as part of their background info so you can blame whomever produces that.
TarponChaser
TyHolden said:

Taken in the 14th round by the Expos and never got above A ball.

Robert Schleider - Baseball Reference
BiochemAg97
AG
1939 said:

Bryan isn't exactly a suburb of College Station though.
12thMan9
AG
TarponChaser said:

1939 said:

If the Cowboys claim Dallas despite always having been in Arlington or the Jets & Giants claiming New York despite being in New Jersey I think these announcers can be given some leeway. They're probably given the Bryan-College Station" nomenclature as part of their background info so you can blame whomever produces that.

The Cowboys DID play in Dallas originally. They then moved to Irving before moving to Arlington.
Ronnie '88
Shoefly!
AG
The Banned said:

You want to have nice neighbors, right? Want to keep up the property values in the neighborhood. College station being a great town doesn't do much when the city that is quite literally across the road sucks. Bryan can use all the help it can get, so it doesn't bother me at all to try and get them some good publicity.

I just drove around Bryan neighborhoods the other day. There are plenty of TAMU students that live in Bryan. There are a lot of new student houses being built in Bryan. Get use to it. It's good for both cities.
AggieBiker
AG
TarponChaser said:

TyHolden said:

Taken in the 14th round by the Expos and never got above A ball.

Robert Schleider - Baseball Reference

In the early 80's, alnong with his wife, he was my SS teacher at FBC Bryan. He co-owned a few Dairy Palace locationd and was a really good man. I think about him and Susan and wonder how they are today.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
TarponChaser said:

If the Cowboys claim Dallas despite always having been in Arlington
Irving>>Arlington
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
TyHolden said:

I'm waiting for it to be BCSN when that new monorail runs from Bryan to Navasota. This will be the new gameday travel.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.