This Weekend in the SEC (4/25 - 4/28)

24,689 Views | 276 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by RED AG 98
Sean98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sean98 said:

Troy at Coastal is a big series as well. The teams are tied for 2nd but Troy has an RPI problem. Would be big if they could win this series on the road.
Troy win the series and has the chance for the sweep tomorrow. Their RPI has moved from 71 to 50 in the last 2 days. Probably enough to get them in the tourney if selections were made today.
aginlakeway
AG
LSU wins again.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
Detective Jake Peralta said:

I'm keeping an eye on Tech (RPI #33) this weekend. They've largely been mediocre against even or better competition this year, but swept West Virginia last weekend to get back in the Big 12 title race (before getting boat raced by New Mexico on Tuesday).

If they can follow up the WVU showing with a road sweep of Kansas (BIG if), they close out conference play vs #18 Oklahoma and @ #25 Oklahoma State with an opportunity to make some noise. If you squint, you can see a possible path to hosting.

What an idiot… Tech will look to avoid the sweep after getting smacked around the first two games.
Sean98
AG
#LaughCry
Luke The Drifter
AG
Oof…what a bad week for Tech. After perfectly gaming the RPI system with mid-week games vs. Stanford and Arkansas, they've gone 0-3 so far this week with losses to New Mexico (yuck…) at home and at Kansas.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Sean98
AG
Watching the UC-Irvine game at Riverside and I wonder why anyone would ever play ball out west if they had other options. Appears to be maybe a few dozen people there.
W
AG
so TCU is sitting at 10-14 in the Big 12 with 2 series to go

and still in 11th place

the last 2 series are against Baylor and West Virginia

need to go 5-1 to be safe
W
AG
the Sun Belt has a chance to be a 5-bid league

and if LSU wins again tomorrow...

those two things will start putting the squeeze on these Big 12 bubble teams
jkag89
Other Saturday Top 25 Scores
#5 Clemson 6 - Louisville 7
#10 Florida St. 7 - #6 Duke 6
#7 East Carolina 14 - Memphis 3
#8 Wake Forest 3 - Notre Dame 11
#22 Oregon 2 - #9 Oregon St. 4
#12 California-Irvine 15 - California-Riverside 7
Troy 11 - #13 Coastal Carolina 4
#14 Virginia 4 - Boston College 0
Virginia Tech 3 - #15 North Carolina 6
#16 Arizona 3 - Washington 4
Southern Miss 3 - #17 ULaLa 2
Ball St. 3 - #21 North Carolina St. 9
#25 Indiana St. 9 - Southern Illinois 7
dabo man
AG
Wake Forest 2
Notre Dame 3
--------------
After 2

#BecauseItsOn
W
AG
checking in with the Pac-12...

the weekend's results are sending the league's bubble teams sliding down the RPI

the current RPI for the 5 teams projected to make the field of 64 by D1:

#11 Oregon State
#32 Arizona -- not going to host from there
#60 Utah
#64 Cal
#65 Oregon -- ranked #22 in D1's poll

that looks like a 2-bid league at the moment
W
AG
big rubber games today for the hosting bubble

namely Vanderbilt and South Carolina

and the aforementioned Wake Forest
dabo man
AG
Va Tech at UNC is underway.

Carolina in baby blue pajamas today. At least they play on grass though.
TyHolden
AG
WTF happened to UF ???
Sean98
AG
Coastal has to avoid the sweep today if they want a chance to host. I'd think they're just out right now after the 2 home losses.

...one of the few games I can actually watch since it's on ESPN+ and not an ACC/SEC that I can't access.

...and Troy takes the early 1-0 lead with a bomb to right in the 3rd.
Luke The Drifter
AG
DBU pitcher just threw an immaculate inning vs. FIU!
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Sean98
AG
Announcers jinx gets the Chants... They call a bullpen guy the "ultimate fireman" as he comes in with 2 on, 2 out. 3 run bomb puts Troy up 6-1 in the t4
Sean98
AG
W said:

the Sun Belt has a chance to be a 5-bid league

and if LSU wins again tomorrow...

those two things will start putting the squeeze on these Big 12 bubble teams
Coastal announcers trying to get W his wish. Just said they're 5 bids and possibly 2 hosts. ...I think it's more likely they end up 4 bids and 0 hosts but it'll be interesting to watch down the stretch.

Coastal, Troy, Louisiana and SoMiss are probably in St the end of the day but outside of Coastal they all have a bit of an RPI problem (45-55) that I don't think they can overcome to host. James Madison is the wild card. Likely the worst of the 5 postseason candidates but because they played a 4 game set in Fayettenam they're 28 in the RPI. Artificially high in my opinion (although they took 1 from the piggies).
themissinglink
AG
Tech was up 2-1 going into the 4th but now imploding. Down 6-2 to KU with pitcher struggling to find the zone.

Sips get one in the top of the 1st and Sooners respond with 2 in the bottom half. 2-1 OU going to the 2nd
Luke The Drifter
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

DBU pitcher just threw an immaculate inning vs. FIU!

And DBU just completed a combined no-hitter to win today.
Sean98
AG
Wow. Coastal could use some of DBUs bullpen I guess. They have no answer on the mound. Now down 10-1 in the 6th. This will be their 5th loss of the week.
W
AG
Coastal has checked out of the hosting discussion for now

Tech about to get swept by Kansas, but still looking good for an at-large (I guess)
W
AG
Gamecocks hit a 3-run homer vs. UK...

but the batter was watching the ball fly instead of the baserunner on 1st...passed him on the bases...

so it was only a 2-run homer
TyHolden
AG
W said:

but the batter was watching the ball fly instead of the baserunner on 1st...passed him on the bases...

wtf? That's just horrible fundamentals.
10Aggie10
AG
I read the thread pretty quickly and didn't see it already mentioned (perhaps I missed it), but did anyone else see the Sam hitter missing home plate on the tying run in the 8th? Went on to lose to LT by one
jkag89
tech lose 3-7 to Kansas finishing the sweep. The tards go 0-4 for the week including getting run ruled in their midweek contest with New Mexico on Tuesday.
Aggies2009
AG
Did the umpire at home just mock the SC runner who called for a review? It looked like he mocked the runner...
Aggies2009
AG
jkag89 said:

tech lose 3-7 to Kansas finishing the sweep. The tards go 0-4 for the week including getting run ruled in their midweek contest on Tuesday.
How much did they pay Tadlock for that lifetime contract?
Rec
AG
Wasted academic scholarship
trouble
AG
W said:

STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
Luke The Drifter
AG
W said:

Coastal has checked out of the hosting discussion for now

Tech about to get swept by Kansas, but still looking good for an at-large (I guess)

You just can't put Tech into the field at this point. The RPI can only take you so far and Tech badly fails the "eye test". I know Quads don't mean in baseball what they mean in basketball, but they're only 3-8 in Q1 games, 4-2 in Q2 games, 5-4 in Q3 games, and 17-2 in Q4 games. And all of this is BEFORE they lose today and get swept by Kansas. Tech has already dropped 11 spots in the RPI this week and is about to drop even more. They'll be 12-12 in the B12 after this weekend. Nothing about that resume says "We Deserve an At Large Bid."

I think the Big 12 NCAA tourney teams will be:

OU - host...unless they fall apart down the stretch
oSu - could host...but only if they get really hot down the stretch
WVU
K-State
TCU - I have a feeling they'll get it done

Central Florida has a great RPI, but below .500 in league play. However, they have a not-so-daunting schedule down the stretch...Cincy, at UH, Texas, at Baylor...so there's a great chance they'll end up with a tourney-worthy resume.

you moran
AG
Notre Dame walks it off with a first pitch leadoff solo HR in the bottom of the 9th and wins 8-7 over Wake Forest. Another series loss for Wake. On the road but to a mediocre Notre Dame.
jkag89
Sam lost their game to la tech 5-4 due to the batter missing the plate after hitting a monster home run.

Video-ESPN
trouble
AG
Another STUPID STUPID STUPID
you moran
AG
Wow. Tootblan, fartblan, diarrheablan...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.