MLB Signing Day Update

5,883 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by Luke The Drifter
AggieBB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WOW! I'm really suprised at that. Wouldn't think he would forego his senior season for that amount.
JohnnytoMike
What are y'alls thoughts on the 5 man rotation for next season?

1. Thebeau
2. Migl
3. Loux
4. Rivers
5. Ehlert

Relievers: Chambless, Daab, Speake, Robertson, Raley, et al?

I'm probably missing a few guys
AGGIE2207
AG
Very interesting that Loux turned down second round money. While I think Stouffer made a very reasoned decision and probably is taking very little risk, you have to hand it to Loux for rolling the dice and coming to A&M. Of course there is a chance he can end up being a first rounder but the odds are even better that he will not get that size of an offer again. With a kid like Loux I am sure it was not all about the money and that education is very important to him.
_mpaul
AG
RFB,

I'm talking everyone who will be on the roster next year.
missedmyride
I guess I do not understand Blakes low risk in coming back. I do not know what he turned down to go but he will on get 40% of that next year. And that is only if he has a year like what he had this year. It is going to be very difficult for him to duplicate the year he had. If he starts slow all of these potbangers will be all over him.
_mpaul
AG
And where did you come up with this 40% number?
Sea Pony 07
AG
It will be interesting to see what Starling and Renfro do next year as well. I'm excited to see Blake back.
LOYAL AG
AG
missed

I think you're really off target there. Fact is that Blake was drafted as a hitter without a position. As long as he has a comparable year at the plate what is really important for him is to prove that he can play good defense. If he can do that he could get 140% of the money he turned down this year.
old yeller
AG
gotta agree with Loyal. I think you missed more than your ride.
Sea Pony 07
AG
Yeah, he didn't really start clicking at a position until he was on first towards the end of the season.
Ball Hog
Renfro will not play this year. Got to have Tommy John again.
clendenin
AG
He will still be with the baseball team, as a student assistant. Tough luck for a good player but he will take advantage of his opportunity and earn his degree.

Starling is poised for a big role in the Aggie bullpen. With five games a week, the Aggies need more than one stopper in the bullpen so along with Chambless and Robertson, the Aggies will have a top-notch bullpen.

www.aggiebaseball.net
missedmyride
He will only get 40% because he will be a senior (No more bargaining power). Look at the signing bonuses for the seniors that were drafted 1-10th round. What ever the slot was they typically got 35-40% of that. That was not just one player, it is every senior. Kyle Nicholson would be a great example of this process. I do not know why it is like this but its been this way for sometime. So my whole argument with this is why not take 200,000 now instead of 70-80K next year. And I think he will be lucky to get that.

I also believe the postion thing is being totally overhyped. Many players play different positions once they reach the next level. I think most teams nowdays would much prefer offense than defense. Blake will eventually end up a corner outfielder IMO.
clendenin
AG
Here were the seniors drafted in the first four rounds.

Matt LaPorta signed for $2,000,000 in 1st round
Casey Weathers signed for $1,800,000 in 1st round
Clayton Mortenson signed for $650,000 in 1st Supl.
Trystan Magnuson signed for $462,500 in 1st Supl.
Stephen Clyne signed for $100,000 in 2nd round
Tim Bascom signed for $200,000 in 4th round
Tyler Mach signed for $95,000 in 4th round
Chris Province signed for $120,000 in 4th round
Brad Mills signed for $140,000 in 4th round

We will have to watch if seniors start to sign for more. If more and more junior bypass the signing with the new slotting system and start strengthening the senior classes across college baseball this could change how valuable a senior actually worth.

www.aggiebaseball.net
Luke The Drifter
AG
Thanks for the updates. I've been out of the loop for a while, so it was good to get this news...even if a little of it was bad.

Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. - James 4:10 (NIV)
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.