TX Cares Antibody study (natural vs vaccination)

85,935 Views | 629 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by VaultingChemist
Player To Be Named Later
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
KidDoc said:

Player To Be Named Later said:

I had my 2nd dose of Moderna in January. Where are y'all having your antibody levels tested at?
Post your results if you don't mind. I'm in Aggieland so cannot really enroll in the study and my 2nd dose of Moderna was 1/29/21.

Will do for sure. I have been told an 8 month booster is likely a good idea for me. I am really curious as to where I sit 7 months in. Hoping the results will be to me by Monday or Tuesday. I signed up around lunch time and by the time I went to get my blood drawn today around 4:30, they already had me in the system.
dubi
AG
KidDoc said:

Good to know! When I glanced at the website it only listed the major metro centers to enroll.
St Joe Bryan (Osler Blvd)
The PC
The Med
88planoAg
AG
Results are typically super quick.
88planoAg
AG
Lol Boerne has a participating lab. They are all over.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
They text the results to you, correct?
dubi
AG

They text the results to you, correct?
No.

You have to login to the CPL web portal. And you get an email that the results are ready, but you still have to call CPL and ask them to upload the test to their portal.

Apparently Texas Cares has something that is a mismatch with your portal name and address. But as soon as I mentioned " Texas Cares", then CPL new exactly what to do and it was really quick.
88planoAg
88planoAg
AG
Whoops I hit the wrong button. I've always received my results which is positive for antibodies via text. The more detailed results are found on the website.
dubi
AG
88planoAg said:

Whoops I hit the wrong button. I've always received my results which is positive for antibodies via text. The more detailed results are found on the website.

You are correct.

I received a text from Texas cares but no values. It would be great if they texted the numbers too.
MrJonMan
AG
Had my second Pfizer shot today. Be interested to see what my numbers are when I go back for my second blood draw in 3 months
Lone Star Pest Control Service, Inc. Call for special Pricing!
VaultingChemist
AG
Israeli Study

Quote:

Natural immunity from Covid infection could be stronger than vaccination: Israeli study suggests people who received both doses of Pfizer's shot are up to 13 TIMES more likely to contract virus than those who were previously ill
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Quote:

Dr Andrew Croxford, an immunologist from the UK, also points out that someone who previously tested positive for COVID-19 is not likely to get re-tested for reinfection.

'If you've tested positive and isolated for weeks with significant disruption, how likely are you to get tested again as opposed to thinking "I've already had it so it's surely something else"?' he tweeted.

'Are people who decline vaccination, or people with previous infection, less likely to get tested?'

However, if the findings are confirmed by peer review, it could have implications for

'This study demonstrated that natural immunity confers longer lasting and stronger protection against infection, symptomatic disease and hospitalization caused by the Delta variant of SARS-CoV-2, ' the authors wrote.

So why are we not recognizing natural immunity?

Edit to add: if you're not likely to get a second test, that's probably because if you do have a case of reinfection, the symptoms are much milder and don't prompt the infected to get a test.
Zobel
AG
An active surveillance study from the UK found different results. In this one, they actually went and tested people regularly for PCR and antibodies. Pfizer was slightly better than prior infection during delta.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.18.21262237v1

It's an academic question. They're comparable. The difference is not having to get infected first with the vaccine.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Zobel,

I really respect your knowledge and consistency on this board. I don't always agree with your views but you're always informed and extremely consistent.

That being said, I think most people agree that they would not want to have to deal with an initial infection with Covid (myself included). However, it seems statistically obvious that the natural immunity afforded to those that successfully navigate initial infection, is long lasting immunity.
Zobel
AG
I completely agree. My point was the difference between them is like an academic question, practically it doesn't matter because you're protected either way, especially against severe disease.
ttha_aggie_09
TX_AG_10
AG
Went yesterday afternoon at 3:00PM, got my test results back this morning at 9:45AM. Negative on all accounts. Planning on getting the vax soon. Feel like I've been skating on thin ice going this long without contracting it. While being (somewhat) cautious, we really haven't stopped living. Going out to eat, church, friends houses, etc. I don't feel like I'm at too much of a risk, 33, BMI under 27, normal BP/BS and cholesterol, fairly active and eat somewhat healthy. Thanks for sharing this program. I'm looking forward to see how my results change after vaccination.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
went through this thread and dropped everyone's reported info into an excel sheet. Here is a look at what the levels look like for the TexAgs cohort so far.

Player To Be Named Later
AG
So do we have any ideas at all at this point of what they consider "good" levels of vaccine induced antibodies and when they consider them to have dipped to a level you may consider a booster?
Jack Pearson
AG
Can you have too high a level of antibodies? If you have had it and get the shot, is there danger to that?

I just got over covid, started feeling bad on 8/9 and dealt with it for about 4-5 days, luckily it was a minor case.

I am not vaxxed but now my job is pretty much going to make us get it and will not take natural antibodies as a substitute. I am a little concerned about getting the shot and my numbers being oft the charts.
KidDoc
AG

So do we have any ideas at all at this point of what they consider "good" levels of vaccine induced antibodies and when they consider them to have dipped to a level you may consider a booster?
Very good question. From the studies I could find anything over 0.8 u/ml seems to be considered seroconversion. Personally I want to see mine > 20 or so.

Spike-antibody responses following first and second doses of ChAdOx1 and BNT162b2 vaccines by age, gender, and clinical factors - a prospective community cohort study (Virus Watch) | medRxiv

Quote:

There was evidence of lower S-antibody levels with increasing age (p=0.0001). In partially vaccinated 65-79 year-olds, lower S-antibody levels were observed in men (25.9 vs 42.3 U/ml, p<0.0001), those with a chronic condition (33.0 vs 41.2 U/ml, p<0.0001), diabetes (22.32 vs 36.01 U/ml, p<0.0001), cardiovascular disease (32.1 vs 36.7 U/ml, p=0.0002), or history of cancer (30.1 vs 35.7 U/ml, p=0.0001), particularly those with haematological rather than solid organ cancer (7.48 vs 31.68 U/ml, p<0.0001), and those currently on immunosuppressive therapy (21.7 vs 35.6 U/ml, p<0.0001). Following a second dose, high S-antibody titres (250U/ml) were observed for nearly all individuals.

I would recommend a booster for anyone getting near 20 U/ml personally but I don't have hard data showing that is a hard cut off.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Signed up with CPL portal and very shortly afterwards received an email that test results were ready to be viewed. I got excited and logged in....... and it's just lab results from my visits to Reveille.

Hopefully I'll get my antibody results today.
Fumbleruski
AG
Got the results of my first draw a few days ago. Second dose of Pfizer was in mid-March.

Spike Protein: Positive, 595
Natural Antibodies: Negative, 0.0

Not sure how that vaccine antibody number stands up in terms of robustness. Thinking a booster may be around the corner.

88planoAg
AG
KidDoc said:

Very good question. From the studies I could find anything over 0.8 u/ml seems to be considered seroconversion. Personally I want to see mine > 20 or so.

Spike-antibody responses following first and second doses of ChAdOx1 and BNT162b2 vaccines by age, gender, and clinical factors - a prospective community cohort study (Virus Watch) | medRxiv

Quote:

There was evidence of lower S-antibody levels with increasing age (p=0.0001). In partially vaccinated 65-79 year-olds, lower S-antibody levels were observed in men (25.9 vs 42.3 U/ml, p<0.0001), those with a chronic condition (33.0 vs 41.2 U/ml, p<0.0001), diabetes (22.32 vs 36.01 U/ml, p<0.0001), cardiovascular disease (32.1 vs 36.7 U/ml, p=0.0002), or history of cancer (30.1 vs 35.7 U/ml, p=0.0001), particularly those with haematological rather than solid organ cancer (7.48 vs 31.68 U/ml, p<0.0001), and those currently on immunosuppressive therapy (21.7 vs 35.6 U/ml, p<0.0001). Following a second dose, high S-antibody titres (250U/ml) were observed for nearly all individuals.

I would recommend a booster for anyone getting near 20 U/ml personally but I don't have hard data showing that is a hard cut off.
Does the protection from vaccine work the same way as natural protection, meaning if the antibodies are no longer measurable is there another mechanism of protection that the antibody blood test doesn't measure?
Zobel
AG
Yes, B and T cells are both activated by vaccination.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03738-2
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03841-4
dubi
AG

Signed up with CPL portal and very shortly afterwards received an email that test results were ready to be viewed. I got excited and logged in....... and it's just lab results from my visits to Reveille.

Hopefully I'll get my antibody results today.

You have to call 512-339-1275 give them your name DOB and they will upload your full results. They have a snafu between the name on texas cares and the name on the portal.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Did that and the lady told me I needed to wait an hour from signing up for the portal and it would be there.

She showed no interest in taking down my name and DOB to get the results linked over. Guess I'll call back in awhile if I still don't have them there.
dubi
AG

Did that and the lady told me I needed to wait an hour from signing up for the portal and it would be there.

She showed no interest in taking down my name and DOB to get the results linked over. Guess I'll call back in awhile if I still don't have them there.
4 days after i signed up I still didn't have my results not did my hubby.

I think all of us have had to call.
GeographyAg
AG
We didn't have to call. Got an email early the next morning after the draw, and the full results were there. A few hours later we got a text, too.
If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
dgb99
AG
I've been considering doing this for about a month now. I've had a small number of close contacts with people who later tested positive but was fairly certain I had not gotten it yet. With all the COVID notifications from school the past few weeks, it seems inevitable that one of my kids will bring it home so I signed up yesterday to get a baseline reading. Very quick/easy/painless process.

1. Thursday 1:30pm - Filled out the survey from the first post. Got a text almost immediately with an ID number.
2. 4:30pm - Stopped by a CPL lab on my way home from work for the blood draw. In and out in 10 minutes. Didn't even need the ID number from the text...they looked me up based on name and date of birth.
3. Friday ~8am - I remembered the comments from this thread to sign up at this link to get numerical results. Immediately got an email from 'SonicMyAccess' (CPL) confirming signup.
4. 9:20am - Got an email from SonicMyAccess with subject 'New Lab Results Available'. CPL is who my primary care doc uses so this was just my bloodwork from the past few years.
5. 11:30am - Got a second email with subject 'New Lab Results Available' with the actual results. Crazy fast.
(edit to add) 6. Saturday 10am - Got a text with the generic negative/positive information (no numbers) from TXCARES. Don't skip step 3 if you want numerical results.

Pfizer vaccinated - 2nd shot April 2021
No known infection
S: +
S: 747
N: -
N: 0
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Just got my results in -

S: +
S: 534
N: -
N: 0

534 sounds on the low end? Looks like a booster may in fact be a good idea?

2nd Moderna shot was on 01/27
KlinkerAg11
AG
I'm fully vaccinated and am recovering from covid. After this how good should my immunity be?
Charpie
AG
My pediatrician friend said that it really didn't matter. As long as you have numbers, if exposed, your numbers will spike up.
harge57
AG
Took me 30 minutes total to sign up, drive to the lab, give blood, drive home.
texasaggie95
AG
Not a doctor or scientist but just trying to see what this chart is telling us (thanks by the way BlackGold for compiling this data).

Spike protein jumps if you're infected and get a vaccine...seems logical.

On the Total Antibodies though...does this indicate that if you're infected and get the vaccine, it actually reduces your total antibodies?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.