Aggie Track and Field Recruiting News

189,221 Views | 1128 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by taylorswift13_
taylorswift13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My uneducated guess would be possibly related to NIL and through the amplify and 12th man plus fund the money has to be allocated evenly so the smaller the team the more money to each individual… Again I have no info into the team and I'm probably wrong but that would be my best guess
triniaggie
AG
I always wondered why our team is so large with sometimes 150 plus athletes compared other programs who might just have 50-60 really good athletes.
Ag4eva95
Do you think this will help us bring in more quality athletes?(quality as in point scorers)
triniaggie
AG
Yes definitely if the we have to cut the team size then the staff would bring good athletes who are potentially scorers.
triniaggie
AG
Jasmine Moore finally goes pro and signs with PUMA
Lewist
Teams are only allowed a certain head count on both boys and girls teams
hurdlenut
DETAILS PLEASE! Is this an athletic department decision? New number of team members? ANY INFO GREATLY APPRECIATED!
taylorswift13
AG
Florida adds two 400 runners with PR's of 44.8 and 44.7
triniaggie
AG
Is Bamadele going pro then?
taylorswift13
AG
Possibly, he competed at a Diamond League event this past weekend! But regardless, Florida will just keep reloading every year
TRM
AG
They have a donor committing big money to NIL for their T&F athletes.
triniaggie
AG
Where is our donor?
trackaggie76
AG
Not sure. Cuts happening with little notice.
triniaggie
AG
taylorswift13 said:

Florida women have added 3 distance stars to go with Parker Valby! Flomena Asekol from Bama and two all Americans from New Mexico
Florida hires the Alabama coach Will Palmer and now they are a treat nationally to win the title

Longing for the day to see Texas A&M being very competitive at conference level and nationally in Cross country and distance events. Not sure if this will ever happen anytime soon.

triniaggie
AG
Graduate transfer from Arizona state Sevanna Hanson. Pole Vault PB - 4.30m (14-1/4)

https://instagr.am/p/CucNfaYAm_A
taylorswift13
AG
Points points points
taylorswift13
AG
Rumor has it that we will land a 2024 football commitment from Ernest Campbell out of Refugio and he plans on doing track as well! He's a 7 time 2A state champion with PR's of 10.22 and 20.92! Would be a huge addition to our sprinting squad!
shady
AG
Yes...the 10.22 he ran at state was wind legal and the fastest of all classifications.

This is another freebie for Henry since he will be on football scholly along with Jordan Anthony. Henry needs to take advantage here. No excuse to not have the top sprint squad in the country with 2 all American types (track) not counting against your track scholarships.
taylorswift13
AG
You are spot on! Love these footballs athletes not counting towards our scholarships! With Anthony and Campbell around for 2 years not counting towards the scholarship distribution we can build a STRONG sprint relay!
YaBoyBP
Caught his races at the State Meet, totally forgot about that relay anchor
taylorswift13
jt2hunt
AG
What about the sprinter phenom from Florida?
taylorswift13
AG
If he comes to A&M and doesn't turn pro, he'll most likely only be here for one year and won't get to run with Ernest Campbell! But we should have a strong relay next year and hopefully it sets up a good stretch of sprint relays for the years to follow
triniaggie
AG
Arkansas is going after High Jump this year.
Former NCAA high Jump Champion Rachel Glenn transfers from South Carolina to Arkansas. She also has a 56.63 PB in the 400m hurdles
NCAA high jump champion Romaine Beckford transfers from USF to Arkansas
triniaggie
AG
triniaggie said:

Is Ashton Schwartzman in the transfer portal?

Here is your answer
Everyone going Florida

cheese85
Definitely hurts a little since he ran 45.16 just over a year ago... but this past year lessens the blow a little bit as he ended the year as our 4x4 alternate
triniaggie
AG
He made a huge jump from 47 seconds to 45.16 in his first year as an Aggie. Hats off to the coaches who made that possible in his first year.
It seems that the mantra now is once you struggle one year you run to Florida.
So if he runs 44 for Florida next year then Florida gets all the kudos but who gave him the foundation to get to 45 seconds in one year
taylorswift13
AG
Oh brother, I hope he doesn't think he's gonna be able to make their relay either lol
Guest Commenter
He will; he is just as fast if not faster than their incoming transfers. I am only speculating(purely). Surely prior to Florida's rise A&M was arguably the premier 4x400. If we didn't win it we were fighting for some other height on the podium. It would behoove Florida to eliminate their competition by weakening A&M. Surely there has been other top talent they could have taken or gone after BUT they have CONSISTENTLY targeted probably >20-30% of our sprinters both genders. However -

I don't think it was just as simple as offering a little money or alot of money ONLY. I would suspect(me just guessing) that perhaps our athletes got wind of a particular NIL deal within our squad. Some may have become(not jealous) but slightly bewildered like "but what about me; i deserve something too". I don't think they let that bother them BUT I do think that Florida NIL machine used their awareness of Florida's attempt to get one of our stud(s) though they couldn't get such athlete(s) and thus exploited that in the ears of our sprinters saying, " you know I don't think someone of your ability deserves ONLY this when your teammate(s) is/are getting this. What if you come run for us. We will give you this because you are worthy of at least this and you are not getting this at A&M".

A&M track is not A&M football and until track takes on the mentality of rising up to an A&M football mentality, we will be poached and fall from within losing our own core of athletes. It's a testament that other schools don't want a strong A&M track program but it is just as much that A&M track is well behind the curve of being sensitive to the value of good track athletes and retaining them at fair/competitive market value. We are losing.
shady
AG
Hopefully that NIL deal you're referencing is for Assinga.
Guest Commenter
I feel like most athletes know they are not in the class of Assinga; maybe only 10 athletes capable of running with him in his class but most not even close to his class. So most athletes, I feel would not consider being slighted by whatever Assinga is worth because they know they aren't in his class and couldn't command his level of NIL. So no - I am not referring to Assinga.

I am ONLY speculating and am not giving insider info but if we had a 400m runner who had a personal best within .5 sec of some coveted stud then I would consider that being in his class and worthy of an NIL comparable to theirs. But what if our 400m transfer had a PB better than what's on paper of another coveted athlete who had a great NIL package. I think the Florida machine would definitely exploit that fact; knowing they tried to get that stud but couldn't. Their awareness of what they offered could then be used to lure our tranfered-out athletes to consider being slighted knowing 'your NIL is nowhere near what we offered your teammate and yet you are being outclass in NIL revenue that we are going to offer to you. Come run for us."

I think this is probably more understandable than - (all of a sudden A&M's entire 4x4 studs all leave elsewhere and mostly goto Florida). Nope I know for a fact that Ark and Tex have come after sprinters on our team this year; so it is not that people arent trying but Florida is the main benefactor and not because they offer the most and not because others are not trying but rather Florida ( I suspect speculatively) is putting salt in the game to make our athletes feel slighted due to an awareness of a particular NIL deal(s) of an/some A&M athlete(s).
taylorswift13
AG
He ran under 46.3 3 times out of 11 races and was always running 46's even some 47's on our relay! That won't cut it at Florida… they signed two 44 400 transfers and will sign more
Guest Commenter
Yep you are correct but as Trini already said we progressed him to 45.1 year 1. His natural progression and strength would have led most people to agree that 44.7 was not out of his capability THIS year. For whatever reason he didn't progress this year but he didn't lose that potential as it was in him to hit those marks this year in a natural progression. By your thinking, no one would have suspected Bamdele would do what he did this year. He had an off year last year at A&M but 44 mid or better was in him last year at A&M. Florida just rectified his situation as I am certain will happen with A Schwartz next year. I won't be surprised to see him run 44 mid next year or even low. I won't be surprised.

I think a better angle would be this question: Is our 400 training stifling these athletes. As great as Henry is I think that is a fair question.
triniaggie
AG
The 400m guys struggle this past season but not sure if it was more a mental thing. One day one or two will run a 46 splits and the next race they will run a 44 splits and then 45 splits. They were all over the place in terms of times and was lacking true consistency. Not sure if it had anything to do with the coaches but when I looked at the ladies I saw better consistency. I know Auhmad missed a lot of the fall preparation

This is a reminder of the time trial held last November before the indoor season and by watching these distances I would have assumed that these guys would have ran some great times during the indoor and outdoor season but never materialized

Men 45 second time trial
Eric Hemphill 11 - 398m
Ashton Schwartzman - 397.4m
Omajuwa Etiwe - 393.7m
Chevannie Hanson - 393.4m
James Smith - 390.4m
Cutler Zamzow - 390.3m
De Marco Escobar - 386.4m

Whatever the reason for the dismal performance last season must be addressed and it is time we get back to the 400m and 4x400 glory days. So many school went under 3.00.00 this past season so the 4x400 is a lot more competitive now

Florida and Arkansas must have a very well thought out NIL program for track and field to be getting all these top transfers and many of them international athletes. As an Aggie fan it hard to see other schools dominating and we are being left behind but I am still hopeful this upcoming season we can see some great things from us
Look Out Below
AG
I don't think people are leaving A&M because of NIL. People tend to leave good places because they aren't happy for one reason or another. Could be any number of reasons.

With Schwartzman, he ran on the main 4x4 all year long then got yanked at the premier event of the entire season. Probably had family fly all the way down (he's from Wisconsin) just to watch him not race. Might just be as simple as that.

Now are other schools capitalizing more in the portal because of NIL or ability to use it to free up more scholarship money? Highly likely.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.