Shogun 10-episode miniseries coming to FX

46,310 Views | 409 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by Cliff.Booth
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Southlake said:

I think the below statement along with it being blacked out was more than fair warning not to read it. It you did and you're upset, you lost honor and need to commit Seppuku immediately.

"*WARNING** This is a significant spoiler if this show goes like the 1980s show."

That wasn't there in the original post. He added it in the second edit.
Faustus
You know who are too polite to spoil a show like that? The Japanese. It would be evil silence though.
EclipseAg
AG
Great show overall. Even though I didn't really understand what was happening half the time, it was visually engaging and kept my attention (not easy to do these days).

I am loving the memes where Blackthorne spews out 300 words and Mariko summarizes it in a simple, lazy sentence.
agracer
AG
loved the show, production, acting, visuals, etc.

My wife didn't want to watch b/c of the blood and guts, but honestly it was not near as bad as i thought it would be.

I need to get her to watch and just close her eyes at the blood/guts parts (seriously, she hates that stuff and cant' watch).
LB12Diamond
AG
Did not see this one mentioned.

Yabu could have just performed many of his scenes with his various grunts.
Rick Dalton
AG
YNWA_AG
AG
https://deadline.com/2024/05/hiroyuki-sanada-deal-shogun-renewed-season-2-fx-emmys-drama-1235911076/amp/
hunter2012
AG
I thought the first season finished the book, did it not?
bluefire579
AG
hunter2012 said:

I thought the first season finished the book, did it not?
It did, guess they're looking to Handmaid's Tale it
jenn96
AG
That's cool! I figured it was one and done since it matched the book. But they have the actual history to use to pull in characters and plots. As long as they keep the intrigue at the same level and don't devolve into GOT season 8 type inanity without Clavell's framework.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I'm just finishing up with the audiobook, highly recommend it for anyone still wanting more. The show is a very faithful adaptation, but the book gives you a lot more insight into the motivations and has a few more subplots you don't see in the show.
jwoodmd
I'll love to watch it and sure to enjoy it very much. But without Anna Sawai in it, damn, it will be sad. She was SEXY!!! (and her character was so deep and complex it was a masterpiece) Maybe they can have some dreams of Anjin's with her in them (well, one can hope).
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
I would love it if it was done well.

I don't know that writers today are capable to create content with similar richness and historical care.

It probably can't be written by anyone working in the industry, and if it was written, it probably couldn't clear reviews.

Perhaps if they hired Japanese writers it could happen??

Color me cautiously skeptical. Still, it would be fun.
jwoodmd
Fightin TX Aggie said:

I would love it if it was done well.

I don't know that writers today are capable to create content with similar richness and historical care.

It probably can't be written by anyone working in the industry, and if it was written, it probably couldn't clear reviews.

Perhaps if they hired Japanese writers it could happen??

Color me cautiously skeptical. Still, it would be fun.
Watch this interview. If these writers/producers stay, I firmly believe they will do it extremely well.

https://screenrant.com/shogun-fx-creators-stars-roundtable-interview/
TCTTS
AG
Cliff.Booth
aggiepaintrain
AG
Good, hopefully with more fighting
rhutton125
AG
The only problem is they've told us exactly what will happen next.

Maybe they'll cover a period of time and cover the siege of Osaka..?
jwoodmd
aggiepaintrain said:

Good, hopefully with more fighting
Seriously, more self-disemboment and heads cut off along with fighting every time someone wants to go to sleep or to another building or city. They've got to have some dialogue!
aTmAg
AG
Shortly after they start persecuting the hell out of Christians. Not sure that is a lot of audience for that.

I hope they leave it at 1 season. It was perfect the way it was.
Belton Ag
AG
A brilliant show about intrigue, politics, power plays, and backstabbing - complete with elaborate costumes and swordplay - has exhausted the source material but will try and carry on.

Where have I heard that before?
FL_Ag1998
AG
aTmAg said:

Shortly after they start persecuting the hell out of Christians. Not sure that is a lot of audience for that.

I hope they leave it at 1 season. It was perfect the way it was.

I agree that season one was so perfectly well done and so completely summed up the story that a second season is unnecessary and likely to be disappointing. Sometimes you have a meal that's so perfectly cooked and proportioned that it's a masterpiece....but if you try to be greedy and serve yourself a second portion you just make yourself sick and ruin the perfection of the meal. I think they're risking doing just that by pushing forward with a second season. Leave it as is.
CheeseSndwch
Will S2 show us the battle we never really got to see?
FL_Ag1998
AG
CheeseSndwch said:

Will S2 show us the battle we never really got to see?

There was no battle. All we'd see is armies marching into the field, the bad guy realizing he didn't have the support of the little emperor, and then everyone goes home with battle blue balls.

Overwhelming battles wasn't the point of the show to be honest.
Cliff.Booth
Thinking you were going to see Anjin get doubled up on at Willow World and thinking you were going to see a big-ass samurai battle and getting neither of those, took something out of me. In my mind they were both awesome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.