*** GLADIATOR 2 ***

20,031 Views | 206 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by pb488
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All reports had Mescal playing a grown up Lucious until now. That's the whole reason I assumed Connie Nielsen was cast (who is returning as his mother). So I'm guessing/hoping these other reports are just lazy misinterpretations from seeing the trailer only once.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Maybe the possible spoiler being a revelation that Lucius was in fact Maximus' son? As far as I recall we never hear about his father.

Still wouldn't like it though.

Edit: I'm spoiler tagging that because Wikipedia confirmed that was the initial plan in the first movie. Now I regret googling.
TCTTS
AG
Veeerrry interesting.
The Porkchop Express
If that's the plot, that sucks ass
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Paramount saved its best for last, with director Ridley Scott sending a video from London, where he's in post-production on Gladiator II, the epic sequel to his Oscar-winning drama.

Rather than a trailer, we saw a five-minute assembly of footage that opened with Maximus' sword hanging on a wall like an athlete's jersey retired to the rafters.

We meet Paul Mescal's protagonist, Lucius, and the film's villain, Pedro Pascal, though Denzel Washington looks awfully mischievous in this sequel. Do we really think he's just playing Mescal's friendly mentor or is he the one pulling all the strings?

We see the Colosseum filled with water and sharks, who feast on anyone unlucky enough to fall in. Meanwhile, the slaves/gladiators are forced to fight wild baboons, and we also see someone atop a rhinoceros charging at Mescal, who uses sand to take the creature down.

The footage was set to the song "No Church in the Wild" by Jay-Z and Kanye West, and the lyrics to that song go like this:

"Human beings in a mob
What's a mob to a king?
What's a king to a God?
What's a God to a non-believer
Who don't believe in anything?
Will he make it out alive?"

Pretty fitting, right? The trailer ends by promising that "A rebellion will rise" this fall.

This is a shoo-in nominee for Best Picture, the only question is whether it will surpass the original Gladiator's global haul of $465 million. I suspect it will, though part of me worries that audiences have moved on from sword-and-sandal epics.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Quote:

We see the Colosseum filled with water and sharks, who feast on anyone unlucky enough to fall in. Meanwhile, the slaves/gladiators are forced to fight wild baboons, and we also see someone atop a rhinoceros charging at Mescal, who uses sand to take the creature down.

Don't mean to be overly negative, but I really hope that's an exaggerated, over-simplified description, because that sounds really stupid. Like, literally jumping-the-shark-in-the-film bad.
Bruce Almighty
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Quote:

Don't mean to be overly negative, but I really hope that's an exaggerated, over-simplified description, because that sounds really stupid. Like, literally jumping-the-shark-in-the-film bad.

Is it jumping the shark if it actually happened?
The Porkchop Express
Actually the Emperor wanted sharks but all they got were sea bass. AlthoughI hear they are ill-tempered.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
TCTTS
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Quote:

Honestly, I think it sounds awesome. After a poster here mentioned it yesterday, I just looked it up and the Romans did, indeed, flood the Colosseum with water. They would "stage mock sea battles" using prisoners, "releasing sharks and other dangerous sea creatures into the water that would help to make these battles more realistic and exciting."

Hell. Yes.

IMO, this is exactly the kind of thing this movie needed. You have to go bigger and bolder with any proper sequel and that's just what this is. That it actually happened is the cherry on top. People are going to look it up online, see that it was a real thing, it'll be a big topic of conversation online/in pop culture, which will only spur more buzz/interest, which will then of course lead to more ticket sales, etc.
jokershady
AG
Yeah honestly I wasn't excited for this movie at all. But given the fact there's going to be sharks in the coliseum and that it was actually a real thing has me pretty intrigued.
FL_Ag1998
AG
TCTTS said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Quote:

Honestly, I think it sounds awesome. After a poster here mentioned it yesterday, I just looked it up and the Romans did, indeed, flood the Colosseum with water. They would "stage mock sea battles" using prisoners, "releasing sharks and other dangerous sea creatures into the water that would help to make these battles more realistic and exciting."

Hell. Yes.

IMO, this is exactly the kind of thing this movie needed. You have to go bigger and bolder with any proper sequel and that's just what this is. That it actually happened is the cherry on top. People are going to look it up online, see that it was a real thing, it'll be a big topic of conversation online/in pop culture, which will only spur more buzz/interest, which will then of course lead to more ticket sales, etc.

Hey, I could be wrong about the movie and heck if that really did happen then I stand corrected.

But the man riding a rhino and our hero taking it down with sand?

Like I said, hopefully that's just a really oversimplified explanation of the scene.
PatAg
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

TCTTS said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Quote:

Hell. Yes.

Hey, I could be wrong about the movie and heck if that really did happen then I stand corrected.

Like I said, hopefully that's just a really oversimplified explanation of the scene.
Ya think?
Moral High Horse
Pompeii Drift
FL_Ag1998
AG
PatAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

TCTTS said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Quote:

Hell. Yes.

Ya think?

Oh for ****s sake you *******s.
p_bubel
FL_Ag1998 said:

TCTTS said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Quote:

Hell. Yes.

I had thought it was an April Fools joke summation, but I guess not.

While you don't have to be 100% historically accurate you might as well put lasers on the sharks at this point.

WTF?!?

I fully expect a barge with monkey knife fights in the middle of this scene.

The Porkchop Express
p_bubel said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

TCTTS said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Quote:

Hell. Yes.

I had thought it was an April Fools joke summation, but I guess not.

While you don't have to be 100% historically accurate you might as well put lasers on the sharks at this point.

WTF?!?

I fully expect a barge with monkey knife fights in the middle of this scene.

Furious George! What have they done to you?
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Faustus
Bruce Almighty said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Quote:

Fonzie actually jumped the shark in Happy Days, so it's not a get out of jail free card.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Faustus said:

Bruce Almighty said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Quote:

Fonzie actually jumped the shark in Happy Days, so it's not a get out of jail free card.

If a movie was ever made about the making of Happy Days, and they included the "jumping of the shark" scene, that wouldn't be jumping the shark.
Faustus
Bruce Almighty said:

Faustus said:

Bruce Almighty said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Quote:

If a movie was ever made about the making of Happy Days, and they included the "jumping of the shark" scene, that wouldn't be jumping the shark.

Fair enough. The documentary gladiator 2 won't be jumping the shark if it has sharks beneath the Colosseum because it's only accurately portraying what was at the time also jumping the shark. That's too close to rebooting the last season of Happy Days with a straight face for me to tell the difference, but I still hope the flick is fun.
Belton Ag
AG
I really hope that we have a gladiator water skiing behind the boats in the colosseum and he literally jumps over sharks. Have him be named Arcturus Fonzerelius or some such name.
Goodson
S
Something tells me I would have enjoyed a prequel even more than a sequel.
Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
The Porkchop Express
Goodson said:

That's how I felt about a Russell Crowe centric Man of Steel prequel ironically.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Goodson said:

What if they Godfather II it? Maybe the story of Maximus' rise in parallel?

Although we'd probably have heard that by now. That would've been dope.
Goodson
S
That would work as well.
Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
Magneto
AG
Gladiator 2: you wanna go home or you wanna go to jail
akm91
AG
TCTTS
AG
I could maybe understand, like, my mom falling for a fake trailer like this, but then again even she's probably savvy enough to tell the difference.

Also, this was posted to YouTube five days ago. Do you really think the first trailer for one of the most anticipated blockbusters of the year would go five days, much less minutes, without being posted here?
The Porkchop Express
Teaching kids the difference between real and fake videos about Stranger Things Season 5 has easily been my biggest challenge as a parent.
TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
pb488
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.