*** DUNE: PART TWO *** (Spoilers)

45,886 Views | 571 Replies | Last: 49 min ago by MaroonStain
BenFiasco14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We rewatched Part 1 before going to see this and can confirm that this does indeed happen and is explained
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Decay said:

I will say I love the way they depict the shields. They did the awesome thing again where explosions happen before the shield goes down, so it's fully contained inside and then bursts out. Loved that in the first film
Agreed, the depiction of the shields was great. As opposed to Dune (1984), which looked like translucent boxes around Paul/Gurney Halleck.
#FJB
Madmarttigan
AG
I don't remember the last time I watched a sci fi or fantasy movie/show and was amazed at the world building done to such a degree. Watching the Harkkonan world and the shots there I was just in awe at how amazing it was done with the black and white fireworks and everything.

The shots and creativity in this movie were amazing, even if it was described in detail in the book he did an amazing job translating it to the screen. If this was all just created in in DV's head then holy crap.

You could find issues with story or acting in this movie maybe but it is one of the most beautifully shot movies I've ever seen.
Ornithopter
AG
heddleston said:

To non -book readers if a Lasgun hits a shield it basically goes off like a nuke. Which is part of why the Harkonnen attack needed the shield wall down and why we saw lasguns cut up mining equipment, but not thopters

I believe that the sand hitting the shields can mess with shields too
annie88
AG
I saw it last Monday and I thought it was fantastic. I had watched part one on TV but it was so much better in the theater. Can't wait for part three.

I think I'm going to go see the second one again this week.
TCTTS
jeffk
AG
Cromagnum said:

jeffk said:

Others have said this already, but I'll agree. Movie Chani is a much better character than Book Chani.

To each their own. I like the original ending from the book with Jessica explaining to Chani.

"Do you know so little of my son?" Jessica whispered. "See that princess standing there, so haughty and confident. They say she has pretensions of a literary nature. Let us hope she finds solace in such things; she'll have little else." A bitter laugh escaped Jessica. "Think on it, Chani: that princess will have the name, yet she'll live as less than a concubine never to know a moment of tenderness from the man to whom she's bound. While we, Chani, we who carry the name of concubine history will call us wives."

I can actually see them working this line into the third movie still.

But the difference in ending isn't what I've liked about the movie Chani over the book depiction. She's just a more full, less flattened character in DV's reimagining of her. In the film, she first pushes back on Paul being the chosen one, then comes around to the realization that he will actually be forced into that role and that she'll basically lose her Paul in the process. I dont think that we get that level of conflict in the book.
DallasTeleAg
Saw it last night and needed some time to think on it.

As a film, it was absolutely beautiful. The world brought to the screen, the cinematography, the score, the sound editing... that was all simply a masterclass is filmaking.

Plot, story, and characters were all great, but it never really hits that top tier in my mind that lovers of the book attribute to the story of Dune. I only read the first half of Dune, and never really felt like I was reading something so far and away better than other sci-fi/fantasy series.

I will say, the satisfactions I felt of the revenge of House Atreides was great. I only wish Denis spent more time on that. I feel like we spent more time in the arena with Feyd-Rautha than we did on the final battle. I don't really understand the thought behind that.

All around, I still need to see it again and sit with it for a while to really determine what my long term feelings on it are.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Saw it last night and needed some time to think on it.

As a film, it was absolutely beautiful. The world brought to the screen, the cinematography, the score, the sound editing... that was all simply a masterclass is filmaking.

Plot, story, and characters were all great, but it never really hits that top tier in my mind that lovers of the book attribute to the story of Dune. I only read the first half of Dune, and never really felt like I was reading something so far and away better than other sci-fi/fantasy series.

I will say, the satisfactions I felt of the revenge of House Atreides was great. I only wish Denis spent more time on that. I feel like we spent more time in the arena with Feyd-Rautha than we did on the final battle. I don't really understand the thought behind that.

All around, I still need to see it again and sit with it for a while to really determine what my long term feelings on it are.

For what it's worth the book spends a lot of time in the arena with Feyd and a disproportionately small amount of time (by my own standard) on the final battle too. That's a big reason why I agree with your thoughts on the book, the pacing really is odd.
Max Power
AG
Got a chance to go see this yesterday and it was awesome. The battle sequences were just outstanding again. I love how Villeneuve approaches sound, he's not scared to go completely silent to really build some tension. I was even more impressed with Chalamet this time around than the first one.

One really nerdy gripe, and I read the book and don't recall this. There are 2 completely separate reactions to thumpers being deployed. One is where they come up from underground, slowly where the sand just falls into their mouth out of nowhere. The other they approach so quickly that it's like a massive freight train moving under the sand and what appears to be what, 60+ mph? How exactly are they supposed to get on anything moving at that speed without their arms being torn off? I know this is a really dumb thing to be annoyed by but in the Lynch movie I feel like they got onto the worms in a way that was more inline with the books. In the books I believe the worms came out of the sand, they'd hook on at the bottom and they'd rotate upward to get their exposed skin away from the sand due to the irritation, then they were riding on top.
Ornithopter
AG
I'd just go with Willing Suspension of Disbelief.

But it also seems like once they got to the thumper they'd slow down since they had destroyed the irritation.
M.C. Swag
AG
Saw this last night. About half way through, I turned to my buddy and said "this movie absolutely rules."

And that's about all I have to say. It f'n rips. The reason movie theatres exist, is for movies like THIS.
StinkyPinky
AG
Max Power said:

Got a chance to go see this yesterday and it was awesome. The battle sequences were just outstanding again. I love how Villeneuve approaches sound, he's not scared to go completely silent to really build some tension. I was even more impressed with Chalamet this time around than the first one.

One really nerdy gripe, and I read the book and don't recall this. There are 2 completely separate reactions to thumpers being deployed. One is where they come up from underground, slowly where the sand just falls into their mouth out of nowhere. The other they approach so quickly that it's like a massive freight train moving under the sand and what appears to be what, 60+ mph? How exactly are they supposed to get on anything moving at that speed without their arms being torn off? I know this is a really dumb thing to be annoyed by but in the Lynch movie I feel like they got onto the worms in a way that was more inline with the books. In the books I believe the worms came out of the sand, they'd hook on at the bottom and they'd rotate upward to get their exposed skin away from the sand due to the irritation, then they were riding on top.

Frank didn't explain the mechanics of mounting or dismounting the worm. This is a normal question, especially for non-book readers. I did read where DV has said he has devised a method for the more challenging dismounting. I suspect this mystery (his approach) will be revealed in Messiah.

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Saw it again yesterday (also on IMAX). Even better the second time around. The shots and the mise en scene leading into some of these shots...I can't get over it.

Paul riding on Shai-Hulud the first time is like an all-time sci-fi set piece set to film. Literally 75% of the people in the rows in front of us leaned forward in their seats. It was like watching the best live sporting event.
Claude!
Max Power said:

I went with the justification that:
1. It was Paul's first time calling a worm.
2. It was a flipping huge worm.

That helped rationalize how difficult it was for him to get the thing under control. Presumably they tire the worm out a bit before handing up the wicker car carrier they put Reverend Mothers into.

It did bug me that people weren't wearing full face coverings when riding worms, though; I think some people weren't even wearing eye protection. I put that down to Hollywood wanting to show faces, though.
Cromagnum
AG
StinkyPinky said:

Max Power said:

Frank didn't explain the mechanics of mounting or dismounting the worm. This is a normal question, especially for non-book readers. I did read where DV has said he has devised a method for the more challenging dismounting. I suspect this mystery (his approach) will be revealed in Messiah.

LB12Diamond
AG
Stilgar saying, it's to big, cracked me up.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I've been listening to the score today while working. It is among Hans Zimmer's finest works, but it is also emblematic of the "problems" I have with much of his stuff. It takes me some time to listen to it, to really digest it, and often times to associate it with sequences in the movie. I've seen the movie once, likely won't watch it again until it's on streaming, so I don't have much imagery I can associate the music with. The track that I am really liking is "Kiss the Ring". Perhaps because I am associating it with what was happening in the movie at that time, but damn it's just so good.

#FJB
Madmarttigan
AG
Zimmers best work will largely depend on my mood, but I don't consider this his best score to listen to individually with a lot of dull moments, but it is really damn good in that it gels incredibly with the tone and style of the movie and enhances every scene vs just being background filler.

Williams is the master of melodies while Zimmer is just more raw and emotional which is why I love him.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Just got out. I've been a fan of Dune since I was a kid. I've seen the 84 version more time than I can count. Read the first book several times.

That was…amazing. Yeah, choices had to be made, but I thought it was stellar.

I just feel sorry for Jessica…she must be on her 34th month of pregnancy.
TCTTS
AG
bangobango
AG
Movie was amazing. Wasn't that impressed with part 1, but this one blew me away. Part 1 had it tough because a lot of the great scenes were saved for part 2.

Just amazing movie. Instant classic. Going to be interesting to see if they stay true to the material or make major changes bc they have a potential huge franchise opportunity, but not if they stay with source material, especially post Children of Dune.
YouBet
AG
Absolute spectacle. I'm going to take my own narrow path here...

There was no northern (non-fundamentalist) vs southern (fundamentalist) Fremen in the book. Making Chani a northern Fremen combined with being relegated to concubine, and thus having her leave at the end is a large divergence from the book.

And I think the reason DV did that is because Dune Messiah is a largely boring book and will not translate to film well at all (which I've been annoyingly saying for some time). It has no action, it's short, and was only ever meant almost as an epilogue to Dune and a brief setup for Children of Dune.

So, I think DV recognizes this and made this change on purpose so that the next part would be watchable. And I think it was probably the right move from a movie going experience.

I do think part one was better as a film due to pacing like others have said but this movie was certainly a great watch.
TCTTS
AG
Preach.

Right there with you on all accounts.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Those guys' podcast is great.
TCTTS
AG
Good to know. Never heard of them before.
Seven Costanza
AG
It took me like a week to finish it, but I finally made it through the first movie. Thank God for subtitles, because I couldn't hear at least 50% of the dialogue. I can only imagine how deafening the music and action scenes must have been in the theater if the sound we loud enough to hear the dialogue.
TCTTS
AG
Sounds like you've either got a bad sound system or too much wax in your ears.
Seven Costanza
AG
I normally watch stuff at a volume of like 7 or 8 on my system without issue, but at times I literally couldn't hear the dialogue unless I put it at nearly 25-30. Then the music or "action sounds" would absolutely blow out my ears, so I settled on the subtitles.
DallasTeleAg
Rebecca Ferguson does like to whisper talk all her lines. Between that and all the weird names, I definitely get how sub titles can be helpful.

But if it took you that long to get through Dune, then maybe these movies just aren't for you...
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
https://instagr.am/p/C4OnLgrJT4_
Seven Costanza
AG
100% not for me. I just came here to see if anyone else had issues with the sound.
Decay
AG
Shmi Skywalker sits down her son.

"This sand... You will build your droid and your podracer. You will build in the sand. I call it... DESERT POWER."
bangobango
AG
YouBet said:

Absolute spectacle. I'm going to take my own narrow path here...

There was no northern (non-fundamentalist) vs southern (fundamentalist) Fremen in the book. Making Chani a northern Fremen combined with being relegated to concubine, and thus having her leave at the end is a large divergence from the book.

And I think the reason DV did that is because Dune Messiah is a largely boring book and will not translate to film well at all (which I've been annoyingly saying for some time). It has no action, it's short, and was only ever meant almost as an epilogue to Dune and a brief setup for Children of Dune.

So, I think DV recognizes this and made this change on purpose so that the next part would be watchable. And I think it was probably the right move from a movie going experience.

I do think part one was better as a film due to pacing like others have said but this movie was certainly a great watch.

People are actually saying part one was better? Wow. That is certainly a take.
heddleston
AG
I loved how they went back and had Paul using a vision of the "what if me and Jamis were buddies" future to figure things out. Making that hypothetical relationship made me actually feel the weight of Paul having to kill him even more and actually make me mourn him a little. Like a Goose or ObiWan he'd never have.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.