Bonfire has nothing to do with Aggie Tradition

6,155 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by TexasRebel
CrockerCock00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good bull probonfire06. Now you just need to recruit some more of your pisshead buddies to come out... and while you're at it, grab a few fish by the scruf of their neck and drag them out too
northsidegreek06
AG
probonfire - WHOOP! Isn't that such a great feeling?!
The Chicken Ranch
AG
This letter makes you want to take off your ring and throw it out the window...
MEag
quote:
Pretty big words from a guy that doesn't have an Aggie ring.

Not even one of us. Maybe someone should distribute on Campus a flyer that states Sasse isn't an Aggie and doesn't care about the students. If Sasse can play the game why can't we?
aggiejred
AG
conserve.tamu.edu

Does anybody else have a problem with this guy in the biolgy department still having this on the University's website? I respect that he has a right to his opinion, but I think they should not be voiced on tamu web space.

I sent the provost of the biology department an email asking that it be taken down.

jared

Jared Cosper '04
OutlawEightButtpot
I've been in the Air Force for a couple of years and have lost touch with the all the campus goings on. Seems to me that if I were there and I wanted to see it burn again (which I passionately do, I happened to be standing 50 yards away when it fell) I would be writing letters, organizing events, raising awareness, pleading with the anyone filing legal motions against the school. If you really want to see it burn again, you need to get organized across the school, be professional, level the playing field with administration, and not shut up until the Redpots are throwing torches on the stack again.
Aggie99
AG
I was thinking about joining the local Methodist Church. Should I ask the Admin if that is ok? I was also going to participate in a College Station Baseball league. Should I ask the admin if that is ok with them?

They are right. This off campus bonfire thing is not an official university function. Therefore, they should keep their nose out of it, because it is not one of their projects.

Do they pass out literature on every event going on that is not sanctioned by the university???
MEag
quote:
I am an RA and have been clearly told not to participate in bonfire.

Can they really do anything? You are participating on your own time and not being funded by A&M to participate right? That's like my office telling me I can't have dinner with friends from a competitor. They can't legally do jack if I do.

[This message has been edited by MEag (edited 11/7/2003 2:29p).]
AB2
AG
quote:
I am an RA and have been clearly told not to participate in bonfire.

When I was an RA and made a simple e-mail post to the KTFB website saying something to the effect of "I support you 100% and hope you succeed," my Hall Director told me that there were people above him that weren't real happy about me saying that publicly, and that the best thing I could do would be to keep my mouth shut and do what I want to do privately. I thought he was getting on my case, but after he left his job and could finally show his true feelings about issues like this, I discovered that he was toeing the party line that came from the top.

Knowing what I know, the above statement does not at all shock me.
WaltonAg03

I don't know if all that red stuff is right, looks funny though.
Hot Steel 02
I think it is a good letter. All those questions are valid concerns. If the student can ask themselves those questions and is satisfied with the answer, then they should participate. If not, then they shouldn't. It is for each student to decide whether hazing, alcohol abuse, or inappropriate behavior is occuring and whether he or she has adequate medical coverage. I thought it was an awesome tradition even though I didn't know much about it, but I chose not to participate in Bonfire my freshman year because of what I heard happened out there - especially to freshmen girls. I don't know if it was true, and it doens't really matter now. The point is that if the answers to these questions are what you all say they are, then you have nothing to worry about.

As far as them sticking their noses into off campus activities, I believe that is reslife's job - resident LIFE. The university also has awareness programs about alcohol abuse, counseling for nonacademic problems, and ways to help people find housing off campus. These programs have nothing to do with academics or university sponsored events, but are designed to educate and enrich students' lives.

Also, it is important for the university to separate itself from liability at this point. Without letters and public disapproval, they could be sued again if something were to happen (God forbid ) because people could claim that they had an obligation to try and stop the activity and by not stopping it, they were supporting it.

my 2 cents. What a sad night
diehard03
The liability stuff is fine, but the crap about the University telling me what is or is not a tradition and how I am supposed to build Aggie Spirit is laughable. Am I going to get this letter the next time in the Chicken chatting with former students about the good ole days?
Hot Steel 02
I agree that traditions are all made my the students, so I'm not trying to counter that point. However, it is their job to protect my university's ass so that my kids can go to school there, and I won't fault them for doing that the best way they can. Maybe someone else can do better, but who that better person (or people) may be is not something I am fit to decide.

We all know that ring dunking is a tradition, but you better believe that the university must separate themselves from that tradition and even discourage it because it is dangerous and might inadvertantly lead to someone's death someday. As long as there is beer at the chicken, it will be an Aggie tradition.

I look forward to the day when bonfire can be back on campus - I probably won't ever go to one until it is. Until then, I want the university to continue protecting its ass - otherwise a campus bonfire will never be possible.
AggieMBP
This guy wouldn't know tradition if he tripped on it. What a sick, sick joke.

BuckhornAg
It's all related to legal liability and lawyers and conformance. Very few stand up people anymore anywhere. There are ways to manage the risk if we would just do it. 13 died over the summer after Bonfire collapse in accidents, some needless. Life involves risk. Some risks are worth it.
Howdy101
How can it be an Aggie Tradition?

Because Aggie STUDENTS do it. It was never about A&M the administration, it was and STILL IS about the students and their school (A&M) they love. Traditions like Bonfire, midnight yell, elephant walk, muster...ALL of which were started by students. Without these, Texas A&M is just another college to attend. It's the STUDENTS and STUDENT BODY that make it so unique.

It's been proven that the Bonfire started off campus, without A&M acknowledgment. The university decided to step in and help the students. After '99, A&M withdrew. Now a non-profit organization (Student Bonfire) was created to continue where '99 left off. These current students are participating in the continuation of a Tradition that has changed over a 100+ years. It's now seen as a memorial to those affected by '99.

All A&M did to "sanction" Bonfire was provide land and help with funding. Student Bonfire is now taking over that responsibility.

I support the student body who Keep the Fire Burning on the hearts of future, current, and former students.

A&M made their decision on their stance with Bonfire. It's all money to them. The students are what make Bonfire so special.

Build the hell outta Bonfire and NEVER forget 11-18-1999
Howdy101
If you choose not to attend Bonfire because of location, you're missing the entire point. It started off campus.

Location doesn't matter, it's who builds and why.

The students now build on memory of the 12 Fallen.

I even talked with Mr. John Comstock (last Survivor pulled out from accident) and he doesn't care about location, just as long as it safely continues. Student Bonfire have PROVEN it CAN be done safely.

One of the Student Bonfire board of directors even noted that the university has grown to the point that there's no room for Bonfire on campus anymore anyway.

I've even asked students from 2-3 years ago if they care about Bonfire going to campus. Most have said it's fine the way it is. Student Bonfire calls the shots and makes damn sure safety is number one. Bonfire is better with the organization because A&M sees money and liability, the organization sees safety.
BonfireNerd04
Interesting to see this 20+ year old thread get revived.
TexasRebel
AG
Steel '02 hasn't posted in 14 years.

Vestal Flame is still active though.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.