Why DeSantis' war on Disney is a big mistake

49,328 Views | 739 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by aggiehawg
Bill Clinternet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Relevant Article

Quote:

The conflict between the up-and-coming Republican and the company behind Mickey Mouse started when Disney, responding to protests from its own employees, criticized the "Don't Say Gay" bill limiting discussions about sexual and gender identity in the classroom.

DeSantis, who signed the bill into law, decided to take punitive action, stripping the company of its privileged tax status and creating a new board to oversee Disney's special taxing district. Not to be outfoxed, Disney struck a multi-decade deal with the outgoing board members days before the new, DeSantis-appointed one took over.

After the new board rendered the agreement null and void, Disney struck back with force and filed a lawsuit against the governor and his oversight board, claiming that he weaponized his political power to punish the company for exercising its free speech rights. With each side digging its heels in, the conflict is turning into a quagmire.
It is well known that lawmakers in Florida have proposed legislation that could impact Disney's special tax district status. The proposed legislation would change the requirements for such districts and will make it more difficult for Disney to maintain its current status. The questions lingering would be why is now the time to change anything after the trillions of dollars Disney has brought to the Florida economy over the years?

Governor DeSantis has targetted Disney, particularly in regards to Disney's COVID-19 policies.
"I am neither an Athenian nor a Greek, but a citizen of the world"-Plato, attributed to Socrates, Theaetetus-
BQ78
AG
Why should Disney be a protected corporation with all that power to govern itself in Florida? If it were Monsanto, you'd be pitching a fit.
notex
AG
Don't we already have enough Disney-DeSantis threads for the board leftists to lament how terrible his judgment is?
CanyonAg77
AG
If the OP thinks it's a mistake, then it is anything but.

Also, the article says

Quote:

the "Don't Say Gay" bill

Which is an absolute lie. I expect the rest of the article is also biased and untruthful.
deddog
AG
Neehau said:

Relevant Article

Quote:

The conflict between the up-and-coming Republican and the company behind Mickey Mouse started when Disney, responding to protests from its own employees, criticized the "Don't Say Gay" bill limiting discussions about sexual and gender identity in the classroom.

DeSantis, who signed the bill into law, decided to take punitive action, stripping the company of its privileged tax status and creating a new board to oversee Disney's special taxing district. Not to be outfoxed, Disney struck a multi-decade deal with the outgoing board members days before the new, DeSantis-appointed one took over.

After the new board rendered the agreement null and void, Disney struck back with force and filed a lawsuit against the governor and his oversight board, claiming that he weaponized his political power to punish the company for exercising its free speech rights. With each side digging its heels in, the conflict is turning into a quagmire.
It is well known that lawmakers in Florida have proposed legislation that could impact Disney's special tax district status. The proposed legislation would change the requirements for such districts and will make it more difficult for Disney to maintain its current status. The questions lingering would be why is now the time to change anything after the trillions of dollars Disney has brought to the Florida economy over the years?

Governor DeSantis has targetted Disney, particularly in regards to Disney's COVID-19 policies.
Relevant article is full of the usual Democrat lies to justify diddling little kids.
Looks like democrats have learnt nothing from the thrashing they received in Florida from this bull****

Keep up the propaganda. You are only opening more eyes to the perversions of the Democrat Party.
The Banned
Corporations get tax breaks because it is a net positive to the community. Part of that net positive is economical. Part of that is social. Disney went against the will of the people in Florida and did so in a very aggressive and public way. Desantis is doing what his constituents hired him to do and his re-election and approval ratings prove it.

If he was doing this to some big oil company you felt was at fault in climate change, you'd be doing back flips.
deddog
AG
Neehau said:

Relevant Article

Quote:

Now do the Pedo you voted for and oil and gas companies
aggie93
AG
Neehau said:

Relevant Article

Quote:

Yep, it was an absolute disaster for DeSantis Mr ChatGPT.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Ag87H2O
AG
Going after Disney wasn't a mistake at all. It was fighting the left and their attempts to force this country even further left.

It was taking the fight to the left when they started going after kids with their filth, depravity, and lies.

It was fighting the left the same way they fight conservatives and they don't like it because it's working and a majority of the public supports it.

Your concern is noted.
Rapier108
Third leftist thread in 12 hours showing such great concern for the GOP.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Phatbob
AG
Breaking News: CNN doesn't like DeSantis! More at 11
BigOil
AG
BQ78 said:

Why should Disney be a protected corporation with all that power to govern itself in Florida? If it were Monsanto, you'd be pitching a fit.

That status quo had a beneficial symbiotic relationship for corp profits and state revenues.

Desantis should have let the consumers fight that battle. But he got sucked into the culture woke war, and that will always be a messy draw or a loss for the right… at least it has been for the last 60-70 years.
Rockdoc
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Also, the article says

Quote:

the "Don't Say Gay" bill

Which is an absolute lie. I expect the rest of the article is also biased and untruthful.

OP is the guy that posted the comedy bit about Biden being a great president a few days ago. That should tell you all you need to know.
AgDad121619
AG
Rapier108 said:

Their fear of him is palpable - they keep running over here with Dem hit pieces hoping to sway folks to a
Mind set that he can't win. FEAR
Ellis Wyatt
Disney should drop their war on childrens' innocence.
CanyonAg77
AG
AgDad121619 said:

Rapier108 said:

Their fear of him is palpable - they keep running over here with Dem hit pieces hoping to sway folks to a
Mind set that he can't win. FEAR

Agreed. If DeSantis were making a huge mistake by attacking Disney, then the OP should be gleefully allowing him to do so.

Hmmmm, wonder why he doesn't want to simply allow DeSantis to "fail"?
JohnLA762
AG
Wait, what happened to liberals demanding corporations pay their fair share?!?

Ranger26
The government giveth and taketh away!
murphyag
AG
DeSantis was re-elected for the simple reason that he kept Florida open during Covid. The state lives and dies by tourism industry. The average Florida resident isn't sitting around worried about what goes on at Disney World. Now, I'm not a Disney fan, been twice in my life and neither was by my choice. Have never cared for their cartoons. But, it does seem to me like DeSantis went after them only because they had their own ideas about the not saying the word gay stuff and Disney doing their own thing regarding masks, social distancing, etc. The Disney Reddy Creek agreement started in 1967. It obviously wasn't some big issue or otherwise everyone would have been talking about it since the 1960s. To a casual observer it looks like DeSantis is trying to get revenge on Disney because they didn't fall in line and do what he told them to do. I don't like it when elected officials start telling companies how to run their business. That's not small government in my opinion. I wish DeSantis would move on to other things because this Disney stuff has already lost him some big donors and will lose him lots of voters because they think he should be spending time on other issues in the state. I know nobody where I own a home gives two sheets about Disney. SW Florida is just trying to survive the aftermath of Hurricane Ian in September. Third most costly hurricane in U.S. history. $113 billion in damages. Homes destroyed, businesses destroyed, jobs lost, insurance screwing people over and denying or barely paying anything on claims. This is the kind of stuff DeSantis should be spending more time on. There are people on my island who won't be able to move back into their condos until some time in 2024 because they won't even get electricity back until January 2024 at the earliest. The hurricane was in September of 2022. There are so many families in desperate situations in SW Florida right now. The Disney stuff is the last thing they care about. Byron Donalds and his staff have been the real Godsends to our area after the hurricane. I think it is very telling that he and all but one of the rest of the Republican congressmen from Florida have endorsed Trump.
B-1 83
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Also, the article says

Quote:

the "Don't Say Gay" bill

That's as far as anyone had to read to know how idiotic the rest of the diatribe would be.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
OP.

javajaws
AG
Neehau said:

Relevant Article

Why NOT now? I thought liberals liked change?
Ag with kids
AG
murphyag said:

DeSantis was re-elected for the simple reason that he kept Florida open during Covid. The state lives and dies by tourism industry. The average Florida resident isn't sitting around worried about what goes on at Disney World. Now, I'm not a Disney fan, been twice in my life and neither was by my choice. Have never cared for their cartoons. But, it does seem to me like DeSantis went after them only because they had their own ideas about the not saying the word gay stuff and Disney doing their own thing regarding masks, social distancing, etc. The Disney Reddy Creek agreement started in 1967. It obviously wasn't some big issue or otherwise everyone would have been talking about it since the 1960s. To a casual observer it looks like DeSantis is trying to get revenge on Disney because they didn't fall in line and do what he told them to do. I don't like it when elected officials start telling companies how to run their business. That's not small government in my opinion. I wish DeSantis would move on to other things because this Disney stuff has already lost him some big donors and will lose him lots of voters because they think he should be spending time on other issues in the state. I know nobody where I own a home gives two sheets about Disney. SW Florida is just trying to survive the aftermath of Hurricane Ian in September. Third most costly hurricane in U.S. history. $113 billion in damages. Homes destroyed, businesses destroyed, jobs lost, insurance screwing people over and denying or barely paying anything on claims. This is the kind of stuff DeSantis should be spending more time on. There are people on my island who won't be able to move back into their condos until some time in 2024 because they won't even get electricity back until January 2024 at the earliest. The hurricane was in September of 2022. There are so many families in desperate situations in SW Florida right now. The Disney stuff is the last thing they care about. Byron Donalds and his staff have been the real Godsends to our area after the hurricane. I think it is very telling that he and all but one of the rest of the Republican congressmen from Florida have endorsed Trump.

a) I guess you've never done any sort of multi-tasking. You should research the concept
b) Spend I$7.34 in internet dollars and purchase some paragraphs.
Pizza
CanyonAg77 said:

Also, the article says

Quote:

the "Don't Say Gay" bill

Agree 100%

Consider the poster & the sources they use lol. Trolls gonna troll I guess.
Ags4DaWin
The question is not "why should DeSantis do this?"

The question is was the special status given to Disney ethical?

The answer to the REAL question is:

Disney's special status was never ethical once Universal and other parks moved into Florida and were not given similar status. Doing so created unfair advantages that benefitted Disney over its competitors. Advantages that were legislated by government trying to pick winners and losers.

DeSantis revoking that special status leveled the playing field for all similar busi ess entities and should be lauded as fair minded instead of being incorrectly portrayed as punitive.

Bill Clinternet
AG
javajaws said:

Neehau said:

Relevant Article

How about breaking a deal with Disney that the state made with Walt Disney to bring them there in the first place.
"I am neither an Athenian nor a Greek, but a citizen of the world"-Plato, attributed to Socrates, Theaetetus-
akm91
AG
Fighting Disney is an yuge blunder for Desantis!!

"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Old May Banker
AG
[Then go to that thread and debate it all you want, but don't bring it here. It's a derail -- Staff]
Jeeper79
AG
The Banned said:

Corporations get tax breaks because it is a net positive to the community. Part of that net positive is economical. Part of that is social. Disney went against the will of the people in Florida and did so in a very aggressive and public way. Desantis is doing what his constituents hired him to do and his re-election and approval ratings prove it.

If he was doing this to some big oil company you felt was at fault in climate change, you'd be doing back flips.
If a state banned all guns, would that not be unconstitutional, no matter how many citizens support it?

Because this is basically the same thing with the first amendment rather than the second.
Ags4DaWin
Neehau said:

javajaws said:

Neehau said:

Relevant Article

How about breaking a deal with Disney that the state made with Walt Disney to bring them there in the first place.

Doesn't seem like he is doing anything illegal.

If the courts are okay with it it must be legal and moral without a smidgen of corruption.

Just like all the changes to election law that were found totally legal in 2020. And the total lack of election fraud the courts found in 2020.

And how Hunter Biden is totally not a criminal.

If the courts are okay with it. That makes it okay.
Bill Clinternet
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

Neehau said:

javajaws said:

Neehau said:

Relevant Article

If the courts are okay with it it must be legal and moral without a smidgen of corruption.

Just like all the changes to election law that were found totally legal in 2020. And the total lack of election fraud the courts found in 2020.

It doesn't make it ethical at all. It doesn't make it right, and frankly, it sets a precdent for other special taxing districts in Florida and elsewhere to have the sovereign jurisdiction break faith whenever they choose. It is no different than the US retrading a Reservation deal with Native Americans or contacting Abraham Zapruders heirs and compelling them to return a portion of the funds paid to Zapruder for the Kennedy film.
The Banned
Jeeper79 said:

The Banned said:

If a state banned all guns, would that not be unconstitutional, no matter how many citizens support it?

Because this is basically the same thing with the first amendment rather than the second.

How are revoking special tax breaks a 1st amendment violation? Would not giving the tax break in the first place be a violation of their rights? Tax breaks are for recruiting businesses to your city or state. Nothing dictates that it can't be revoked.
Bill Clinternet
AG
Neehau said:

Ags4DaWin said:

Neehau said:

javajaws said:

Neehau said:

Relevant Article

It doesn't make it ethical at all. It doesn't make it right, and frankly, it sets a precdent for other special taxing districts in Florida and elsewhere to have the sovereign jurisdiction break faith whenever they choose. It is no different than the US retrading a Reservation deal with Native Americans or contacting Abraham Zapruders heirs and compelling them to return a portion of the funds paid to Zapruder for the Kennedy film.
The faith and promise of the sovereign in a country whose strength and competitive advantage in the world is based solely upon the strength of its institutions and the faith in its word to deliver on what it says it is going to do is paramount.
akm91
AG
Ok, ChatGPT user identified.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Dude, Disney has been there for 52 years. Time for the special treatment to end.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.