Sky high superintendent salaries

9,047 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by aggie93
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://texasscorecard.com/state/texas-taxpayers-continue-to-fund-sky-high-superintendent-salaries/

Quote:

Newly released Texas Education Agency data for the 2023-24 school year shows eight superintendents with salaries above $400,000 and another 81 receiving $300,000 or more.

Texas' highest-paid school superintendent was again Cypress-Fairbanks ISD's Mark Henry, who pulled down a base salary of $536,775 before retiring in December 2023.
Wowzers. I guess the real money in education is at the top.

Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
The numbers for mega-districts with massive enrollment aren't as problematic. But what about the districts on that list with under 10,000 kids???
techno-ag
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

The numbers for mega-districts with massive enrollment aren't as problematic. But what about the districts on that list with under 10,000 kids???
They rich I guess. I wonder if they pay their supt. more they don't have to Robin Hood that back to the state?

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
BCSWguru
They are all problematic. Very problematic.
Txgunrnnr
AG

Yup, #2 on the list has <8k students.
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
Aggie95
AG
Quote:

Wowzers. I guess the real money in education is at the top.
Always been that way. Salaries for principals is pretty high as well. I can somewhat understand that as they are on the front lines and handling issues on school grounds. I'm sorry, but Superintendents are glorified spokespeople and have very little impact on day to day function and success of a school system. Those salaries should probably be closer to the $150k-$200k for the top end.
Aggie95
AG
techno-ag said:

They rich I guess. I wonder if they pay their supt. more they don't have to Robin Hood that back to the state?
Barbers Hill would be a lot of Petrochem money, right?
cslifer
So you want someone to take responsibility as the head of an organization with over 1000 employees, thousands of students and the current political atmosphere for 100-200k?
techno-ag
AG
Aggie95 said:

techno-ag said:

Looks like it.

Quote:

Established in 1929, Barbers Hill ISD has a rich tradition of community involvement and school pride. The fabric of the district's story is interwoven with that of the petrochemical industry, beginning with the discovery of oil in the early 1900s, through the development in the 1950s of the Mont Belvieu salt dome.

Today, the district serves more than 7,000 students and employs over 1,200 teachers and staff.

As Barbers Hill approaches its centennial year, the district continues to have phenomenal growth driven by academic, athletic and financial successes.

https://www.bhisd.net/

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
jopatura
AG
techno-ag said:

Aggie95 said:

techno-ag said:

Looks like it.

Quote:

Established in 1929, Barbers Hill ISD has a rich tradition of community involvement and school pride. The fabric of the district's story is interwoven with that of the petrochemical industry, beginning with the discovery of oil in the early 1900s, through the development in the 1950s of the Mont Belvieu salt dome.

Today, the district serves more than 7,000 students and employs over 1,200 teachers and staff.

As Barbers Hill approaches its centennial year, the district continues to have phenomenal growth driven by academic, athletic and financial successes.

https://www.bhisd.net/

They also are the ones that keep fighting the CROWN act and have very strong standards driven by their community. It doesn't surprise me they pay their superintendent more.
12thMan9
AG
EPD has stuff there.

Great tax rate though.

That's where the former Allen football coach Westerberg went, although he may be the AD now.
Ronnie '88
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Txgunrnnr said:

Yup, #2 on the list has <8k students.
They also have top ranked schools and are flush with cash from local industry
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
W
AG
no one should be making more money than the H.I.S.D. superintendent

that guy has his hands full and then some
techno-ag
AG
Well good for him if everybody's happy. Half a million a year almost. Wow. If any kid of mine wants to go into education I know the direction to steer them.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
SuhrThang
No school superintendent deserves that much of a salary for ruining the education system. How about some performance metrics?
“A drunkard’s dream if I ever did see one”
Owlagdad
How much would a CEO of a company with 1000-6000 employees make?
geoag58
AG
One of our most intelligent presidents was self taught, to a large extent, by reading next to his fireplace at night and worked as a rail splitter during the day. Something tells me we are doing it wrong. Until we quit listening to do-gooder leftist scum I don't think much will change.
Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
JB99
AG
Aggie95 said:

techno-ag said:

It's basically Baytown. I never thought of it as affluent
The System
AG
Every Superintendent in the state of Texas has 7 bosses (Board of Trustees) who are elected by the local constituency. They set the Supt salary and are legally required to conduct an annual evaluation of the Supts performance, including accountability and measurable goals.

But I guess you're against local control. I guess you're a liberal.
Owlagdad
SuhrThang said:

No school superintendent deserves that much of a salary for ruining the education system. How about some performance metrics?
Win football games, keep tax rate low is a longetivity formula in some Texas towns. Academics be damned.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Owlagdad said:

Depends. Do they turn a profit?
Tree Hugger
AG
SuhrThang said:

That's the standardized testing the kids take every year, and pretty much all they prepare for in the spring semester.
Slicer97
AG
geoag58 said:

One of our most intelligent presidents was self taught, to a large extent, by reading next to his fireplace at night and worked as a rail splitter during the day. Something tells me we are doing it wrong. Until we quit listening to do-gooder leftist scum I don't think much will change.
Same dude is also responsible for sending us down the path we're on.
DamnGood86
AG
I thought teachers were underpaid?
Fenrir
Quote:

But I guess you're against local control. I guess you're a liberal.

Strawman arguments not being made in good faith. Trolling.
Owlagdad
P.H. Dexippus said:

Owlagdad said:

Depends. Do they turn a profit?
LOL, and a Supt ought to get run off just like underperforming CEO.
Yall do know a Supt often finds his own guys to run for school board -- its not hard to stack the deck.
geoag58
AG
Slicer97 said:

geoag58 said:

Same dude is also responsible for sending us down the path we're on.

Are you saying we would have been better off if Abe had gone to a government school?
Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
Fenrir
SuhrThang said:

A little while ago I did a correlation on STAAR metrics for districts and compared them to superintendent pay, the correlation coefficient was at like 0.2.
SouthTex99
AG
techno-ag
AG
Fenrir said:

SuhrThang said:

A little while ago I did a correlation on STAAR metrics for districts and compared them to superintendent pay, the correlation coefficient was at like 0.2.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
The System
AG
You conveniently left out 95% of my post. Hey pot, meet kettle.

If you have a problem with a Superintendent's salary, you can blame the 7 elected board members and the community in which they represent. Or if the community has a problem with it, they can vote to elect new board members who will find a cheaper superintendent.

So yes, it seems you have a problem with local control and the democratic process.
Fenrir
The System said:

You conveniently left out 95% of my post. Hey pot, meet kettle.

If you have a problem with a Superintendent's salary, you can blame the 7 elected board members and the community in which they represent. Or if the community has a problem with it, they can vote to elect new board members who will find a cheaper superintendent.

So yes, it seems you have a problem with local control and the democratic process.
No, that's not a case of pot meet kettle. That's not what that phrase means at all. I didn't make an assertion about your argument. Hard for me to build a strawman when I didn't make any claims about your positions. I merely called out someone for making a strawman argument which is exactly what you did. Nobody on here has called for a state law to cap super pay so not sure how anyone is taking away local control. Bringing the issue to discussion does nothing of the sort. What you're doing is trying to stifle any discussion.

In fact with your last sentence you're still creating a strawman. It's pathetic and should be embarrassing from someone that presumably finished and got their degree if you're not actually trolling.
aggie93
AG
SouthTex99 said:

It's cheaper to pay a great superintendent a big salary than a bad superintendent a low salary. Much cheaper.
Lol, sure thing. My fav is the Lake Travis guy making over $400k. There is one HS in Lake Travis and he has a Principal. So what exactly does he do that creates so much value?

I mean it's all good I guess but just don't tell me about how teachers are underpaid. The only time I have really heard from our Super in the last year or two is when he was complaining about anything around vouchers or how we needed to give them more money. Pretty clear as to why.

Oh, and my HS spends well below the average for Texas per pupil and the least of the 6 schools in our District yet we dominate in academics and sports and virtually every EC activity. The idea that money creates better schools is such a joke.
BillYeoman
Principals in some HIsD schools don't get paid enough for what they have to deal with on a daily basis.

They wear 2 hats: Educator and Prison Warden
Logos Stick
LMAO

Yay, public schools.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.