Acceptance letters gone out?

17,766 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by double b
warrington
How long do you want to ignore this user?
any news if anyone's kids have been accepted to A&M this year yet.
sent ours in mid august
Applied for Mays business school
Havent heard anything
Top 4%, president of class all 4 years, varsity cheer, President of NCL. etc
AvantGarde-CollegePrep

TAMU acceptance typically starts trickling out on the third Friday of September. That's the timing of the last few years. Remember that those learning of their acceptance during this period are in one of two categories.

A) Top 10 percent Admits
B) Applicant is clearly among the upper-crust of admission applications (projects to be in the top 25% of all applications).

The first few rounds of decisions will be from those groups until they receive enough applications to understand how deep and competitive this pool of applications may be this year.

Also, as a small side rant, I absolutely hate that the TAMU uses Rolling Admissions. We're the only school of our size and selectivity to not use an Early Action period. Everyone would benefit if TAMU chose to do this.
Redefining College Prep
warrington
whats rolling admissions.
aggie93
AG
warrington said:

whats rolling admissions.
It means they review applications when they are sent in. The positive is that you can get acceptances quickly for top students and then it creates a big "maybe" pile. My guess is the reason they do it has to do with the auto admits which don't exist at most top schools. A&M has an incredibly complex way of evaluating applicants compared to most schools because they have so many categories kids fall in to and it is even more complicated due to the fact you apply to the college you want at the same time. Our admissions are chaotic because we are so different than most schools in terms of history and mission, A&M today is vastly different than what we were 50 years ago and we are continuing to evolve.

Most schools do an Early Action and a Regular Admission. Some do a "Binding" Early Admission where you have to commit to a school if you are accepted. Binding gives you the best chance of acceptance, EA next, Regular last.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
12Power
I would think binding is mostly used for engineering. It seems almost like football recruiting in the CoE. They are after the very top students from all over and don't want any de-commits.
warrington
If you apply for Mays business school / honors

when you get your initial acceptance, do you get your acceptance into mays at the same time. If they are going to offer you Honors is that offered on initial acceptance letter?
AggieDruggist89
AG
Acceptance for fall of 2024??
aggie93
AG
warrington said:

If you apply for Mays business school / honors

when you get your initial acceptance, do you get your acceptance into mays at the same time. If they are going to offer you Honors is that offered on initial acceptance letter?
I believe Honors is later, have a friend who has a daughter in Honors Mays right now and she was accepted super early (Top 3% of Great HS in Austin) and then got Honors around the first of the year. She really likes it btw, it's opened some doors for her and she has gotten to do some pretty cool trips and experiences that she likely would not have had.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
aggie93
AG
12Power said:

I would think binding is mostly used for engineering. It seems almost like football recruiting in the CoE. They are after the very top students from all over and don't want any de-commits.
I don't know about that.

Binding has a couple of main benefits to the school (I don't know of any Public Schools that have it though outside of UVA. It's mainly the Private schools in the 10-25 range (Rice, Johns Hopkins, Duke, etc) that use it. They don't want to be a Safety school for the Ivies. Another big benefit is they don't have to worry about Financial Aid/Scholarship competition for Binding kids as they have no incentive to do so (they might still get it but it's not like they feel a need to bid against someone else). It also takes out the Honors Admissions from consideration or anything else special a school might do to get a kid to choose them. So Legacies that are borderline love Binding for instance. Most of the elite kids that are not going to do Binding because they are going to apply to most of the Top 15/20 schools and see who is going to make them the best overall package. They know they won't get in all of them but they will likely have a few to choose from. Private schools also are very concerned with brand and rankings, they do everything they can to manipulate those numbers to look as good as possible and Binding is just one more potential tool. They can accept in the rich legacy kids who are on the edge while having them not submit test scores as Binding for instance. They can also accept in a kid that they like but don't love on a Binding admit so they don't have to worry about accepting him later and they get into a scholarship bidding war or something with a few other schools of similar level.

The Super Elites (Harvard, Stanford, Cal Tech, MIT) don't do binding because they don't need to, very few kids are going to turn them down but if they do they have no shortage of Super Elite kids with perfect resumes to choose from.

Publics don't tend to like it because they have more politics involved with In State Admits and more oversight on their admissions process. Juice just isn't worth the squeeze for them politically to do Binding and Legacy is less of an issue for them.

Ronald Reagan
warrington74
AG
Fall 2024
12th Man Ag
AG
warrington said:

Top 4%

This is all that matters. They are in. Emails should be out this week. Get ready to apply for housing. Congratulations!
warrington
12th Man Ag said:

warrington said:

Top 4%

This is all that matters. They are in. Emails should be out this week. Get ready to apply for housing. Congratulations!
Her concern was getting into the business school. I think if she didnt she would go to Auburn. Great school just not where me and mom went. She's on the fence but a mays acceptance I think would seal the deal
12th Man Ag
AG
warrington said:

12th Man Ag said:

warrington said:

Top 4%

Her concern was getting into the business school. I think if she didnt she would go to Auburn. Great school just not where me and mom went. She's on the fence but a mays acceptance I think would seal the deal

If you are Top 4%, listed Mays as your first choice, and already submitted your application, you are in.

My Top 9% son got his acceptance today in Mays.
AvantGarde-CollegePrep
It looks as if I was off by one day. The first round of admission decisions went out today.
Redefining College Prep
iisanaggie
AG
12th Man Ag said:

warrington said:

12th Man Ag said:

warrington said:

Top 4%

If you are Top 4%, listed Mays as your first choice, and already submitted your application, you are in.

When did your son submit his application?

Does engineering do theirs the same way? My son submitted his last week and did his SRAR this week. I didn't realize that they started sending acceptance letters before the deadline or at least until after the October 15th engineering early deadline. He is 4/500 so he is auto-admit, but knowing sooner rather than later would be good!
12th Man Ag
AG
iisanaggie said:

12th Man Ag said:

warrington said:

12th Man Ag said:

warrington said:

Top 4%

When did your son submit his application?

Does engineering do theirs the same way? My son submitted his last week and did his SRAR this week. I didn't realize that they started sending acceptance letters before the deadline or at least until after the October 15th engineering early deadline. He is 4/500 so he is auto-admit, but knowing sooner rather than later would be good!

He submitted August 1st for Mays. Engineering is a whole other ballgame. Top 10%er's will be accepted to A&M, but they have to go through another review for acceptance into the Engineering college. I think some Engineering admits will start to find out in Nov/Dec.

Good luck to your son!
warrington74
AG
Good to know all this information.
You all are a wealth of knowledge. Thank you.
dgb99
AG
My son submitted his application Aug 2nd and showed as admitted on AIS yesterday (still in engineering review as expected). Housing portal opened today (it wasn't working yesterday when AIS showed as admitted) and we paid the deposit to get hopefully first choice on dorms when that happens in the spring. Exciting times!
ag97tx
AG
My son is a sophomore engineering student. Last year he received his auto admit into A&M in September and it said he was under review for engineering. He found out October 21st last year that he was actually admitted into engineering. So if they do it like last year the first round of engineering will be the week after the Oct 15th deadline but into A&M in general before that.
BClark
AG
Mine submitted Aug 1 and he is in. English major.
Will Hunt
Another thing on College of Engineering, the admission decision on that is superate as mentioned above. But that only gets you into "Engineering", not a specific major/program. That will be a competitive determination made later their spring semester of 1st year. Basically kid lists their top 3 choices in preferred rank. Placement into those programs are competitive (mechanical, chem being hardest to get into) based on fall semester GPA and possible recommendation of spring profs.
Another Doug
AG
Will Hunt said:

Another thing on College of Engineering, the admission decision on that is superate as mentioned above. But that only gets you into "Engineering", not a specific major/program. That will be a competitive determination made later their spring semester of 1st year. Basically kid lists their top 3 choices in preferred rank. Placement into those programs are competitive (mechanical, chem being hardest to get into) based on fall semester GPA and possible recommendation of spring profs.
Bases on recent rates, I wouldn't say Chem is one of the hardest to get into. My kid is interested in Chem E. so I was looking at this the other day and did the math. This is the rate kids got their 1st choice at popular majors (over 10 requests)

AvantGarde-CollegePrep
Will Hunt said:

This is definitely a point of contention for many of my high-end students. Why bother applying again in another year when you can be accepted into your first-choice major as a freshman at another institution? This is why schools such as UT, Purdue, and other out-of-state schools have become more attractive options in recent years.

TAMU College of Engineering is just too big. They need to reduce their numbers or expand their criteria for accepting students directly into engineering majors.
Redefining College Prep
12th Man Ag
AG
But, isn't their stated goal to be at 25,000 students by 2025? Not sure how that happens with the grueling acceptance criteria and wait.
AvantGarde-CollegePrep
12th Man Ag said:

But, isn't their stated goal to be at 25,000 students by 2025? Not sure how that happens with the grueling acceptance criteria and wait.
Honestly, I disagree with the idea of having 25,000 engineers. I'm not sure how you can adequately meet the needs of all of them without sacrificing some quality of instruction. Texas A&M already modified the physics courses a couple of years ago to ease the academic rigor within the freshmen year.
Redefining College Prep
warrington
My daughter applied August 14 for admission and for Mays business school. Today she received her acceptance letter into Mays business school for August 2024. Hoping and praying that she will follow in our footsteps as a dedicated Aggie family. She has applied to Auburn but hopefully since she was accepted into Mays, she will choose A&M.

thank you all for yalls information.
12th Man Ag
AG
Congratulations!
warrington
The starting of a good week.
This is the beginning of SEC play so come on Ags, keep winning. Winning helps my daughters decisions
aggie93
AG
warrington said:

My daughter applied August 14 for admission and for Mays business school. Today she received her acceptance letter into Mays business school for August 2024. Hoping and praying that she will follow in our footsteps as a dedicated Aggie family. She has applied to Auburn but hopefully since she was accepted into Mays, she will choose A&M.

That's awesome! Unless Auburn is giving her a LOT of money then Mays is the way to go. I would also encourage you to have her look into the Honors program, I have heard great things from my friend's daughter who has gone that route.

Ronald Reagan
aggie93
AG
AvantGarde-CollegePrep said:

Will Hunt said:

This is definitely a point of contention for many of my high-end students. Why bother applying again in another year when you can be accepted into your first-choice major as a freshman at another institution? This is why schools such as UT, Purdue, and other out-of-state schools have become more attractive options in recent years.

TAMU College of Engineering is just too big. They need to reduce their numbers or expand their criteria for accepting students directly into engineering majors.
That's definitely frustrating. You would think they would have a bar for high performing students to be able to get pre accepted into their specialty of choice with some requirements in terms of maintaining GPA or something. Even if those kids feel certain they will succeed the idea that they could theoretically be a year into the program and then NOT be able to pursue their first choice of major gives pause. It's a short sighted policy.

One thing I think that works against A&M in terms of the size issue is we don't have a good alternative. It's a massive drop off from CS to the System schools (outside of Galveston but they are specialized and a different story). Not that they aren't good schools but they not in the same league as CS. UT has invested heavily in their System schools and has some real success stories, UTD with Comp Sci being probably the best example.

Main challenge is that all the UT System schools qualify for the PUF and only a few of the A&M System schools do. It's really just Galveston and then technically Tarleton and PV but they are never going to spend big on those schools. So they just keep making CS bigger and throwing more funding at it. If you actually average out the PUF per student it's about the same for A&M and UT Systems btw.

Ronald Reagan
Prexys Moon
AG
warrington said:

My daughter too, and Mays too. Congrats.

Actual letter/packet hasn't come yet. Just on AIS.
Will Hunt
Prexys Moon said:

warrington said:

My daughter too, and Mays too. Congrats.

Actual letter/packet hasn't come yet. Just on AIS.

I know a lot of money has poured into PVA&M over this last decade and their Chem Eng program is starting produce a lot of new hires to big players in the industry.
scoodogg
AG
Daughter got her acceptance today.

Public health with plans to apply to the nursing school for her BSN.
SydB92
AG
Son got his acceptance packet on Monday with the engineering review caveat. He got an email today stating, he was accepted into College of Engineering.
iisanaggie
AG
Our son got his acceptance email today into the College of Engineering! Whoop!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.