Waitlist/Blinn TEAM Timeline?

1,957 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by D Nauti
arlington_ag23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My younger brother got an email on Jan 31st notifying him that he not yet been accepted to TAMU. He had the option to be waitlisted for TAMU acceptance, be considered for Blinn TEAM, or both. Out of these three options, he selected to be considered for both.

Does anyone have any experience with what the timeline looks like for Blinn TEAM offers to come out to applicants who are also on the waitlist for full TAMU admit? I have heard stories that applicants who select "Blinn Team only" receive offers for the program quicker than those wanting to be considered for both.

Any information would be super helpful, obviously this is a very stressful time for him as he is a diehard Aggie and so I would love to pass along anything I can to him!
trip
AG
same with my son.
double b
AG
I'm a bit confused by your question and your end goal. Are you more interested in learning the decision sooner, or are you more concerned about having more options for acceptance?

Honestly, I don't think the timing should matter, especially since you have waited this long. TAMU will finalize their decisions in three weeks. I have always suggested to families to select both options. Some students will not consider Blinn Team as an option, which is perfectly okay. However, if you can start at TAMU full-time, that would seem to be the more desirable path.
1Aggie99
AG
Having just gone through this last fall, I would agree with DB on the timing part. Our son selected both and heard from TEAB first. At this point it really doesn't matter. He pissed and moaned about it for a while and strongly considered other options but after swallowing pride/ego and realizing he wanted to be an Aggie, it's been great.

I would disagree, if I understand the point correctly, on the desirable path. Other than having to get to/from Rellis twice a week, there is absolutely zero negatives that I can see in going the Blinn route. Take care of business in classroom and it's done. He ETAMs after 2 semesters and will get first choice.

Cheaper, smaller classes, living on campus, access to everything, etc.
D Nauti
My son did Blinn Team to Mays, it's a bonus. Your considered an Aggie and you have a direct path to what you want to do, and you get a discount. So he needed a 3.8 I believe to get into Mays, if he was trying to transfer he would probably have needed more and would have some competition. Blinn Team is cheaper and kind of a cheat code for anyone who isn't an auto admit.
Timberwolf
AG
Can you elaborate on " Blinn Team to Mays" I'm not familiar.

My daughter just got notified of her Blinn Team selection and is very disappointed. Wanted to get into main campus and now is weighing her options. Other very good universities are courting her. She'd have to forgo living on campus and maybe Mays Business. Might be better off transferring in from another school next year.

And probably hosed on on-campus housing right?
sosolik
AG
Timberwolf said:

My daughter just got notified of her Blinn Team selection and is very disappointed. Wanted to get into main campus and now is weighing her options. Other very good universities are courting her. She'd have to forgo living on campus and maybe Mays Business. Might be better off transferring in from another school next year.

If she wants to be at A&M, Blinn Team is an easy decision here. If she wants Mays, she controls her destiny through Blinn Team. This is not guaranteed through normal transfer.

Don't overthink missing out on on-campus housing. Put her in a building behind Northgate.

My son is going this route now so happy to answer questions if you have them.
aggie93
AG
Timberwolf said:

Blinn is actually a better way for most students. Smaller classes and cheaper and they want you to succeed. Unless they are participating in a D1 Sport for A&M there are literally no restrictions, they are the same.

The path for Mays is a different question as is the housing issue. Housing probably can't be helped. Mays would depend on if she has a path if she meets requirements or not. She's got almost no chance of transferring from the outside into Mays, even with a 4.0 at most schools that's not guaranteed. Much better shot with Blinn Team. Housing is a short term issue.

If she really wants to do Business and doesn't want to risk not getting in to Mays that's a different issue. She can also do Econ or Agri Business but understand if that isn't what she wants. There are other great business schools. It's tough choices but in the end she should go with her gut. I wouldn't advise simply going the easy route but I also don't think A&M is the only school out there. In the end it comes down to how much she wants to be an Aggie and possibly risk not being in Mays vs a more sure thing major wise. It's going to be an adjustment and a challenge anywhere she goes so I wouldn't focus too much on the Housing/Blinn issues as the other schools will have challenges too.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
D Nauti
Timberwolf said:

He had a list of classes that he needed to do, I didn't look it over really hard, from what I remember it looked like basic classes you would take during the first 2 years in business school. He had a years worth of dual credit courses from high school so a lot of the general classes were already done. Once those were done he just needed a 3.8 overall and he was an auto admit into Mays as a Junior, he did use the Q drop to his advantage and made classes up in the summer with better grades.

He did it and I know of a few other kids that did it that way as well from what my wife told me when she was going to the Aggie Moms meetings.

As far as A&M is concerned they are full time students so they can live in the dorms, get a sports pass and anything else. The only thing that he couldn't do that he was thing about was trying to walk on the football team. I believe the issue was the NCAA wouldn't consider him a full time student because he was taking more classes at Blinn.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.