Boycott the playoff game on Peacock

12,574 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by BMX Bandit
dabo man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I chose to steal the broadcast and didn't have any of the problems of the people who paid. The stream I watched wasn't from Peacock, but was from KSHB NBC 41 in KC. Channel 41's version of the broadcast didn't have lagging.

Sounds like NBC viewers in KC and Miami are the only ones who weren't screwed over last night.
walton91
Was trying to watch last night, without knowing what happened, only to just find clips of the Chiefs talking about their win.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Typical corporate disaster

Don't have the bandwidth or foresight to launch a product

Spend all their money making up news
aggiephoenix02
I signed up ten minutes before the game started. I watched the entire game without a problem, the picture was crystal clear. I then watched that new Ted show afterwards. It was all great…
jr15aggie
AG
I didn't have any issues streaming the game. I think it buffered once early in the game, but otherwise the quality was just as good as all my other streaming services.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Could always count on NFL playoffs being on OTA channels.

Until 2024.

I blame Taylor Swift for this.
Sharpshooter
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Could always count on NFL playoffs being on OTA channels.

Until 2024.

I blame Taylor Swift for this.
jja79
AG
Where are all the people that have been thumping their chests about cutting the cord?
Ag_07
AG
Some of y'all didn't boycott enough. That was the most watched streaming event ever.
jkag89
Most streamed event in the U.S. is what I heard. To me what makes the cost worth it for NBC/Peacock is the number of new subscriptions and if they retain them.
TaggiesT
I wish I had boycotted the game on Fox today.
kyledr04
AG
I already had peacock for the Office extended episodes. It's worth it just for that.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Ag_07 said:

Some of y'all didn't boycott enough. That was the most watched streaming event ever.

Gonna need to see more proof than Tirico saying so

dabo man
AG
I've read that 23 million people streamed it. TV numbers are usually done in households, so I don't know if that means 23 million unique subs. I've got to believe that's a poor number for an NFL playoff game even if it is a streaming record.
45-70Ag
AG
Last years least watched playoff game was 20 million. Games on peacock or paramount won't be going away.
bizag07
Quote:

I've read that 23 million people streamed it. TV numbers are usually done in households, so I don't know if that means 23 million unique subs. I've got to believe that's a poor number for an NFL playoff game even if it is a streaming record.
Peacock paid $110M for this game. 23M viewers is $115M in revenue on the very low end.

Those are great numbers for a streaming only game.

This thing is happening, and it's not gonna stop.
BMX Bandit
dabo man said:

you may believe its a poor number, but guarantee the nfl is very happy about it.
jkag89
BMX Bandit said:

dabo man said:

you may believe its a poor number, but guarantee the nfl is very happy about it.
But was Peacock? Sure the numbers were great for the game but in the long run it is about how many new subscriptions did it draw and of those how many will it retain.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

But was Peacock?
absolutely.

i bet they bid for another game next year. as will amazon and maybe even paramount
Yellerjacket
double aught said:

R E L said:

lol poors…it's $5 a month. Picked it up at the tail end of Prem last season, definitely gotten my moneys worth. ESPN/ABC just need to jump on a genuine subscription service and kill traditional cable/satellite contracts once and for all.
This post-cable world ain't turning out that great. It's a mess. I don't know why you're rooting for it.

I suspect it'll all eventually coalesce into something similar to cable eventually, just streamed over the internet.
It's amazing for families like mine that have a lot of TVs. We pay way less then we did for satellite and get a lot more "stuff". I think we paid $240/month for Dish back in the day for 7 TVs. Now we pay less than that for internet plus all the streaming services.
double aught
AG
Directv rarely cost me more than $60 or so a month when I had it. Just had to call them when the price went up.
dabo man
AG
I had Dish w/2 TVs, Showtime, and America's Top 200 until 2021. At the end my bill was $96 per month.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Interesting commentary on the production quality (or lack thereof) on the Peacock game.

We now know they drew 23million viewers making this game the lowest watched game of the entire Wild Card Weeekend.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagoria/2024/01/16/dolphins-chiefs-on-peacock-drew-23-million-but-was-least-watched-nfl-game-of-the-weekend/?sh=102beba23c9f

AustinAg2K
Ag_07 said:

Not even close to the most streamed ever. Mr. Beast crushes those numbers. Possibly the most streamed live event.

If be curious to see how many new subs this pushed. I'm guessing at least half of those who streamed already had Peacock, and half the people who signed up probably cancelled immediately after. Those are just wild ass guesses, though.
BMX Bandit
the nfl is not concerned with losing 10mm viewers for that game. they always knew it would get less than over the air. this was about testing out what streaming would do. they got $110mm for this one game.

what will amazon pay for it in the future?
tk for tu juan
Got a 50% discount code, so $30/year to watch the game, TED tv series, Premier League, NASCAR, Strays, some movie exclusives, Traitors, Summer Olympics live events, pro track & field events, etc., was an easy choice.
BMX Bandit
Buck Compton
AG
BMX Bandit said:

You people just couldn't stand strong. (Although I'm sure I'm in that number too with my free and already cancelled instacart plus membership).
aggiephoenix02
What about the people that got Peacock for the game, liked the service and shows provided, and decided to keep the streaming service?

That's me, I got it for the game, and decided to keep paying…
Counterpoint
AG
FYI...NFL Network shows the game immediately afterward, for people that boycott and don't mind not watching live! Same thing with the Amazon games.
BMX Bandit
Get the Amazon boycott started.

[url=https://www.wsj.com/business/media/amazons-prime-video-gets-exclusive-nfl-playoff-game-next-season-f4816af1?mod=hp_lead_pos10][/url]
Quote:

The Wall Street Journal reported Friday that Amazon will carry an NFL Wild Card playoff game next season, marking the second time that a playoff game will be available exclusively via a streaming service. (As with the Peacock game, coverage would be available on over-the-air-affiliates in the participating markets.)
https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2024/02/nfl-playoff-amazon-prime-video-exclusive-wild-card-game-next-season/
MookieBlaylock
AG
Boycotting just bc of Herbstreit and sleepy Al
BMX Bandit
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

But was Peacock?
absolutely.

i bet they bid for another game next year. as will amazon and maybe even paramount

Price went up

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.