Is Jerry taking a nap?

5,053 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Agristotle
Lake08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our only shot is Derrick Henry. You're willing to go all in on drafting a RB? If that doesn't work, you're screwed. Dak isn't that good to lift a team
ac04
overpaying a 30 year old RB with 2,100+ career touches would be the most cowboys thing ever.

the lack of movement is frustrating but i'm not sure giving henry a ton of money is a great idea when they still haven't figured out if they're going to extend or attempt to restructure dak, release or trade gallup, restructure diggs and/or martin, figure out what to do with LVE, etc.

why they are dragging their feet on all that is more of a concern to me than figuring out which guy we're going to hand the ball off to. the super bowl champs feature a 7th round RB that runs like a muppet.
batchuser
Hearing Henry might be on his way to Baltimore. We don't even like our guys anymore. Hopefully Hankins stays.
Lake08
ac04 said:

overpaying a 30 year old RB with 2,100+ career touches would be the most cowboys thing ever.

the lack of movement is frustrating but i'm not sure giving henry a ton of money is a great idea when they still haven't figured out if they're going to extend or attempt to restructure dak, release or trade gallup, restructure diggs and/or martin, figure out what to do with LVE, etc.

why they are dragging their feet on all that is more of a concern to me than figuring out which guy we're going to hand the ball off to. the super bowl champs feature a 7th round RB that runs like a muppet.

Dak ain't Patrick.
ac04
ok. it has been a more than a decade since the starting RB for the super bowl champion had a cap hit over $2MM.
Lake08
ac04 said:

ok. it has been a more than a decade since the starting RB for the super bowl champion had a cap hit over $2MM.

Henry has been beaten no doubt. However look at the QB's over the last 10 SB. Dak is better than maybe two. Dak needs help at the RB position. If you roll the dice draft wise, that's a big risk
Lake08
Henry to the Ravens 2/16. Not bad at all
Daveintx
But Jerry said all in, so we're good right..... RIGHT???!!!!!!
Vince Blake
I'm starting to wonder if the Cowboys just don't want to invest into a team for a lame duck coaching staff and leave the slate clean for the next staff.
justnobody79
Daveintx said:

But Jerry said all in, so we're good right..... RIGHT???!!!!!!
well they did re-sign the long snapper, what more do you expect?
ahpetty33
AG
Sitting out on top free agents, letting your own walk, and not extending Dak may be their plan. McCarthy and the staff on the last year of their deal. Hoard compensatory draft picks for next year, don't win as many games in 2024, and hope you find your new QB…
alvtimes
average over 93,000 fans a game…. Jerry thanks you, with fans like that…. why spend the money to actually win anything?
Agristotle
AG
Dak absolutely destroyed "deal-maker" Jerry on the last contract. So much so, Jerry may be ready to move on from Dak and re-up his other stars.

In Dak's own words, he "sucked" vs GB (again). Hard to give that guy $60MM/year.
Peter Klaven
AG
Cowboys fans are the worst. We're preserving flexibility and right now have 5-6 comp picks headed our way.

We can get Rashaad penny (or someone similar)for a million or two and throw in a fourth round pick and be just fine. Anyone concerned about RB is a Karen.
Ornithopter
AG
The Cowboys will be far better off getting good linemen to block well for a cheap RB than to get cheap linemen for an expensive RB.
BMX Bandit
every team has fans that complain about free agency moves

But not every fan has a team with an owner, president and general manager that says this year he's going all in and then does close to nothing
Agristotle
AG
I'm thinking All In meant this quarterback and coach gets one more shot.
mavsfan4ever
AG
alvtimes said:

average over 93,000 fans a game…. Jerry thanks you, with fans like that…. why spend the money to actually win anything?
This is such a tired line. There is a freaking salary cap. All teams spend equal. No team is saving any money by not going after free agents. This isn't baseball.
justnobody79
mavsfan4ever said:

alvtimes said:

This is such a tired line. There is a freaking salary cap. All teams spend equal. No team is saving any money by not going after free agents. This isn't baseball.
and not all 93,000 seats are Cowboy fans. I bet at least 40% or more are owned by ticket brokers who just resell them for every game.
Daveintx
When you go as long as this team has with the same leadership and zero conference game appearances, is it really a tired line?
alvtimes
justnobody79 said:

mavsfan4ever said:

alvtimes said:

and not all 93,000 seats are Cowboy fans. I bet at least 40% or more are owned by ticket brokers who just resell them for every game.

yall just keep on wearing your Dak jerseys to the games….. Jerry and fam thank you
MookieBlaylock
AG
They have no cap space -
Henry had 1 great game last year and it was the last one
He is shot
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Other teams find ways to make their cap work while spending and having more frequent playoff wins.

Jerry and Stephen Jones are total failures in team managing (maybe not brand management). There is no denying this as the results don't lie.
Southlake
This ^
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Other teams find ways to make their cap work while spending and having more frequent playoff wins.

Jerry and Stephen Jones are total failures in team managing (maybe not brand management). There is no denying this as the results don't lie.
Agreed. I want to know is it simply neither have the competency to manage the cap while working improve the roster or do they not listen to Will McClay or does McClay even have anything to do with the cap/FA? The roster mismanagement is dumbfounding, they seem to always be reactive. Is Stephen that bad (he has a degree in engineering, I assume he has some books smarts and his dad didnt simply buy the degree) or Jerry telling him what he can and cannot do which hamstrings from the jump?
MookieBlaylock
AG

i wish every team that are total failures averaged 12 wins over the last 3 years

drama queen much?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

i wish every team that are total failures averaged 12 wins over the last 3 years

drama queen much?

They have more cash and resources than any other team in the league. They have a stronger brand presence than any other team. Ok so you wanna say the cap is the great equalizer then explain to me how bad a management team you have to have in place when 1 of 8 teams make a conference championship game every year but this organization hasn't been able to in 29 years. If all really was equal then the chances of missing a conference title game 29 straight years is roughly 3%. The chances you'd be in one, roughly 97%. And the Jones family can't even get to that milestone (much less a super bowl win). If that doesn't scream failure to you I don't know what does. They've defied odds using their own poor management. If making this analysis is being a drama queen then so be it.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Now do your drama queen act with the Houston that has never one and couldn't even keep the Oilers

I will hang up and listen
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Now do your drama queen act with the Houston that has never one and couldn't even keep the Oilers

Is this thread about Houston? Totally irrelevant here. Weird response.
MookieBlaylock
AG

MookieBlaylock said:

Is this thread about Houston? Totally irrelevant here. Weird response.

Complete failures implies no success, yet their roster is easily one of the top 10 in the league

Your Rick Flair for the drama is a bit overblown
Southlake
MookieBlaylock said:

drama queen much?
Dude really? With the Cowboys influence, pedigree and money, what do they have to show for it in the last 20 years?

Undermanaged and under achieving.

How's that playoff record?

It's a Has-been team with Has-been owners who are happy to not be playoff contenders.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Southlake said:

MookieBlaylock said:

drama queen much?
Dude really? With the Cowboys influence, pedigree and money, what do they have to show for it in the last 20 years?

Undermanaged and under achieving.

How's that playoff record?

It's a Has-been team with Has-been owners who are happy to not be playoff contenders.
What drives me crazy is they never seem to be proactive or outside the box in their thinking, part of which is because Jerry has allowed the brand to be tied in so much to current players which makes it hard to not get locked in to long term contracts that shouldn't happen. They should have already drafted Tyron's replacement and a new center, but they didnt. They should have addressed tailback last year, but they didnt.
EastSideAg2002

Jonathan Hankins

DannyDuberstein
AG
McClay has done a good job drafting, albeit last year's early pick has been pretty damn disappointing so far. The issue has been roster and contract management after that point. Bad extensions. Waiting too long on guys they were inevitably going to extend (Dak has been SOOOO much more expensive because of it). Giving away guys like Amari Cooper in what turned out to be an offseason where veteran WRs drew great value in return. McClay has been key to them being good. But Stephen and Jerry are why it's never been good enough.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
DannyDuberstein said:

McClay has done a good job drafting, albeit last year's early pick has been pretty damn disappointing so far. The issue has been roster and contract management after that point. Bad extensions. Waiting too long on guys they were inevitably going to extend (Dak has been SOOOO much more expensive because of it). Giving away guys like Amari Cooper in what turned out to be an offseason where veteran WRs drew great value in return. McClay has been key to them being good. But Stephen and Jerry are why it's never been good enough.
The insane part is Stephen and Jerry make the same mistakes over and over, I am guessing because neither have to be accountable to anyone and both are in a cycle of drunk and hungover so there is never any professional growth. It is like they do everything last minute, there is not planning or long term assessment of where they want the program to be. As a coach that has to be frustrating. The 2024 roster is set up for failure. On McClay, I think he presents a draft plan and some years the Jones family follows it and some years they dictate who gets drafted such the two head scratchers from 2023 in the first two rounds. Again, now plan. The tight end room was already plenty talented, didnt need the michigan kid. Left Tackle was such a bigger need than DT.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.