Cowboys vs Dak

6,465 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Dr Lane Trowlan
Swami
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lotta talk about the Cowboys delaying the next contract for Dak Prescott. Now the storyline is the Cowboys will probably let him walk after this next season.

I think it's pretty clear what's going on: Cowboys want to keep Dak and Dak wants to stay a Cowboy, but Dak wants too much money. I think this is why the contract was delayed the first time and why there's an impasse this time. I also think it's why Gerry Jones was hell bent on trading for Trey Lance.

I think they go different ways next season, and it'll be fascinating to see how Prescott does with his new team.
The Porkchop Express
What's the current market value for a QB who you know will never get you to a Super Bowl?
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

I also think it's why Gerry Jones was hell bent on trading for Trey Lance.
You sound like a well informed long time fan.

Cowboys have until March 2025 to decide, so I don't see any reason to be in a rush.
Macarthur
Yeah, I thin it's always so hard to make determinations without having any inside information on what is being discussed by both parties.

In retrospect, it would have been much better to lock Dak up early this last contract. They waiting and it cost them much more money.

I really don't have strong feelings one way or another. I think there's apathy setting in with me.

Southlake
Dak is very good. But he's just not Playoff good.

Sooner or later you got to pay him or find that missing piece of the puzzle.

Next year will be a try out for an extension.

Paying him big money will be kicking the can down the road and tie up future $$$
justnobody79
I wouldn't call a QB that only reads half the field very good.
I wouldn't call a QB that is scared to run very good.
I wouldn't call a QB that goes brain dead in the playoffs very good.
MookieBlaylock
AG
justnobody79 said:

I wouldn't call a QB that only reads half the field very good.
I wouldn't call a QB that is scared to run very good.
I wouldn't call a QB that goes brain dead in the playoffs very good.

amazing how he won 36 games the last years being not very good
Macarthur
Yeah. No kidding. Dak is very good. Come on folks
Ornithopter
AG
Matsui
AG
4 years $180 million

Kirk Cousins money
VP at Pierce and Pierce
There is no way the Cowboys would move on from Dak after 2024. Jerry on the brand management side of things over rules Jerry on the football side of things 10/10 times. Dak is a massive part of the brand and Jerry cant let that go. They will come to terms for a deal before 2025 where everyone wins.
Macarthur
The problem is that if they don't do something before the season, Dak has 100% leverage and will be 100% free. He can simply walk and there's nothing the cowboys can do.
BMX Bandit
He wouid have leverage, but Dak also knows those Campbell soup commercials aren't happening if he's on the titan etc.

Dak isn't going to leave if cowboys want him to stay. There's 0 chance he just walks if Jerry wants him.
Macarthur
I agree w your first point but maybe Dak thinks it's more about his last chance at a ring and he thinks he's got a better chance somewhere else.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Macarthur said:

The problem is that if they don't do something before the season, Dak has 100% leverage and will be 100% free. He can simply walk and there's nothing the cowboys can do.
Dak wont leave the Cowboys. He is playing on his dream team and the amount he makes off the field would drop significantly if playing elsewhere. They are married. Regarding leverage, that is how the Cowboys and Stephen do business.
PooDoo
AG
Knew a couple of guys that grew up wanting to be police but after a year of cleaning dead bodies off the highway, told their childhood self to kick rocks.
Agristotle
AG
Dak's only chance to win a ring is to sign with KC to be Mahomes backup. Maybe he could watch and learn how to not gag when the playoffs start.
W
AG
the Cowboys are stuck in NFL purgatory

having a good to very good QB, but not a great one

Dak's career QB record is very close to Romo's

73-41 vs. 78-49
Lake08
Never pay a very good QB great QB money. 60M a year? No way. If Penix is there when u pick, grab him
W
AG
and the biggest case against Dak...

he has played with a great supporting cast at WR, RB, TE, and OL during his Cowboys career

can't say he's never had any "weapons"

played with numerous All-Pros, Pro Bowlers, etc..,
Macarthur
That's not how paying contracts in the MFL works.
Macarthur
36 games won the last three years would not qualify as purgatory, IMO.
Macarthur
Macarthur said:

That's not how paying contracts in the MFL works.
did you guys not see what Kirk Cousins just got paid? Dak has twice the number of playoff wins as cousins.
Agristotle
AG
jerry repeatedly pays good players great money; hence they are always have cap problems.

To pay Gag Prescott 4 years, $240M, with $200M guaranteed to watch him suck and shrug in the playoffs again would be insane.
Southlake
^ This.

They are not close enough to a superbowl to justify spending the future on Dak.

Great during the season but can't handle the good teams in the playoffs.

No way they win 12 games next year.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Dak is going to finish as the statistically best Cowboys QB of all time

He ain't going nowhere

Southlake
MookieBlaylock said:

He ain't going nowhere

Yes, he ain't going nowhere - like in the playoffs
DannyDuberstein
AG
The scariest part of Dak, which he already put on display in the playoffs, is that he outright admitted that he choked in this playoff game. The experience he described was insane for an 8 year starter to admit.
Raiderjay
super tinfoil hat conspiracy I heard on the ticket.....

Cowboys are not spending any money as it is Dak and McCarthy's last year and they will ride them as it to see what they can do....
If 2024 is a bust, they will cut bait with Dak and McCarthy and go after Deon and Shedeur as the new regime HC and QB in 2025....
Prime Time reunites with Jerry creating the ultra media circus and marketing dynamo....
Lake08
Raiderjay said:

super tinfoil hat conspiracy I heard on the ticket.....

Cowboys are not spending any money as it is Dak and McCarthy's last year and they will ride them as it to see what they can do....
If 2024 is a bust, they will cut bait with Dak and McCarthy and go after Deon and Shedeur as the new regime HC and QB in 2025....
Prime Time reunites with Jerry creating the ultra media circus and marketing dynamo....

Cowboys will be good this year….maybe 10 wins. So if Shedeur has another great year, he will be top 5. Cowboys historically don't trade up. Plus I am not sold on Prime being anything but a figurehead. He'd get outcoached in every game
Agristotle
AG
Jerry's 81. I understand why he doesn't want to do a four year extension for Dak and accept that that proven choke artist might be the last quarterback he sees leading his team.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I've been a big Dak supporter in the past, but I just can't anymore. This year McCarthy and the Cowboys went all in on Dak on the field. Following the Arizona game, everything went through him. We lived and died by his play. Yes, the defense sucked against the power run, but that doesn't matter when Dak is leading the offense to 40 points per game. We made him the most important player on the team, just like the star QB we hoped he was. Then he flat out chokes in the playoffs and admits it to the world. That's soul-crushing for a fan, and I can't imagine what to think as a coach, a GM or an owner. How do you pay that guy 30% of your cap and put it all on his shoulders?

Throw into this that young QBs are doing just fine all around the league. Love, Purdee, Lawrence, and Stroud are all playing well on rookie deals. You get 90% of the production for 10% of the price and maybe they don't choke when it matters.

It's nuts to think about tearing everything down when you're winning 12 games a year, but that's the Cowboys for you. 12 wins a year and zero shot at a title
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
91AggieLawyer
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

He ain't going nowhere

You can't compare statistics today with those from the '70s or even '90s. Besides, even if you could, the Cowboys franchise is measured in terms of playoff WINS. And while Dak may not be the ONLY piece of that puzzle, he is a piece. It is one thing to say he hasn't had the other pieces in place to win a Super Bowl. That may or may not be a supportable argument, but when you start saying stupid stuff like "best" Cowboy "QB of all time," regardless of what metric you're using, Dak is nowhere near the conversation.

Interestingly, both Dak and Staubach, arguably THE best Cowboys QB of all time (and one of the better overall NFL QBs), have both started 114 games. Through those games, Staubach was 85-29 with an 11-6 playoff record while Dak is 73-41 with 2 playoff wins against 5 losses. Hell, even Danny White had a much better playoff record than Dak and roughly the same regular season record (% wise).

I'm not sure what Dak's stats have to do with anything here. It hasn't equated to wins. One could make the case -- a good one -- that had White and Staubach thrown as few interceptions as Dak has that the Cowboys might have won at least one other SB in the '70s or '80s, but that is a knock on the historical QBs, and doesn't help Dak's stock.

Maybe someone somewhere could make a case for someone like Jerry Rhome, Glen Carano, Steve Pelluer, or Reggie Collier for all I know doing something statistically that no other Cowboys QB did. Who knows. Doesn't put them in rare company for much of anything other than a trivia question.
Lake08
MookieBlaylock said:

He ain't going nowhere

Dak has a losing record against teams with a winning record. Over. U pay that idiot more than 45m you're done
BJM1781
AG
They pay him that and I'm done.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.