Cowboys vs Dak

6,460 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Dr Lane Trowlan
Agristotle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FWIW Cowherd just recited Daks playoff stats and said Dallas is right not to pay him elite money. Said they should draft a quarterback in the first two rounds. Mentioned Pennix and Nix as great choices.
Macarthur
Cowherd is a tool.

Having said that, how many times do we have to say that NFL QB contracts don't work that way. You can't just say, "you're only worth this much because of your playoff record."

If Dallas doesn't, someone will pay Dak huge money. Period.

As for drafting, the odds are very high those guys will be failures. And I like Pennix.
Agristotle
AG
Then I will wish Dak well at his new locale, perhaps they will be happy paying big money for crappy post seasons.

I wish they could work out the trade to Vegas.
Macarthur
One could argue that Dak has been dragging these idiots for almost a decade.

mavsfan4ever
AG
Macarthur said:

Dak wasn't good but you can't absolve the D like that. They were down 28-0 early second quarter.

Sometimes your QB struggles out of the gate and it would be nice for the defense to hold a team to a FG once in a while. There were guy running free w no one within 20 yards of them.

Again, Dak was bad but it wasn't just him.
I'm not absolving the D. The defense was awful. But the poster I was responding to was acting like the D was the problem and not Dak, which is absurd.

And 28-0 is unfair when you are talking about the defense. Dak accounted for half of those points. He threw a pick, and GB only had 19 yards to go to score on their second touchdown. He threw an awful pick 6 for GB's 4th touchdown. And he had 80 yards passing or something like that in the first half.

There is no way to frame it so that the defense was worse than Dak in the first half. The defense was not good, but if Dak had at least been mediocre then we would have at least still been in the game at halftime. It's almost impossible to be in the game when your QB gives the other team 2 touchdowns and has 80 yards passing in a half, even if your defense plays fairly well. That's why I think the first half was more on Dak than the defense. Not to mention, if we got a lead, then our defense would have been in a better situation.

But both sides of the ball definitely sucked that day. So I don't want to make it seem like I'm taking blame away from the defense when I'm pointing out how awful Dak was.

Macarthur
Both were bad. All I"m saying is that it is not uncommon in the NFL for one side of the ball to pick up the other. I don't think it's too much to ask for the D to force a FG when you have a turnover, esp when your defense is rating in the top 5 all year.

Both were bad.
Woods Ag
AG
Are you still defending Daks playoff performance?

He admitted it after the game himself. The game was moving too fast for him. It's always been too fast for him in the big moments.

It's not even debatable when he admits it himself and we have a careers worth of data to back it up.

Macarthur
I literally said both were bad. Twice. Geez.

I just think there's way too much Dak was the problem and not pointing out that there were lots of problems w that game, not just Dak.
Macarthur
I'm also trying to bring a little dose of reality to this thread that if you walk away from Dak (which I've said more than once, I'm not necessarily opposed to), prepare yourself for a world of Zach Wilson's and not even being competitive in the division, much less the playoffs.

The narrative seems to around here that all we need to do is get rid of Dak and our playoff failures will be solved, when the reality is you prob won't have to worry about playoff failures.
Agristotle
AG
Dak wants 4 years $240M with $200M guaranteed. They just can't do that. If they do that and Dak vomits in the playoffs again, that would damage the brand and that's the one thing Jerry won't sit still for.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Macarthur said:

I'm also trying to bring a little dose of reality to this thread that if you walk away from Dak (which I've said more than once, I'm not necessarily opposed to), prepare yourself for a world of Zach Wilson's and not even being competitive in the division, much less the playoffs.

The narrative seems to around here that all we need to do is get rid of Dak and our playoff failures will be solved, when the reality is you prob won't have to worry about playoff failures.
I think a dozen other franchises have shown that franchise QBs are not the holy grail they used to be. QBs start 7 on 7 in high school, go to QB camps, and play spread starting in Junior High. They are more prepared than every to come in and be successful at a young age. Most drafts end up with several Dak level QBs every year, and many more just one tier worse
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Macarthur
ramblin_ag02 said:

Macarthur said:

I think a dozen other franchises have shown that franchise QBs are not the holy grail they used to be. QBs start 7 on 7 in high school, go to QB camps, and play spread starting in Junior High. They are more prepared than every to come in and be successful at a young age. Most drafts end up with several Dak level QBs every year, and many more just one tier worse

Ok, so I'm not seeing it. Outside of 2020, which was a very good year and an outlier, show me the 'several guys' each year that are on Dak's level or even a notch below.

https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/qb
ramblin_ag02
AG
Dak was drafted 2016.

2017: Mahomes, Deshaun Watson
2018: Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen
2019: Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones
2020: Joe Burrow, Tua, Justin Hebert, Jordan Love, Jalen Hurts
2021: Trevor Lawrence

2022 and 2023 don't really seem fair, because they all just started, but we already have:
Brock Purdy and CJ Stroud

That's 14 franchise QBs drafted since Dak was drafted with likely more to come from the 2022 and 2023 class. This incoming draft class also seems to have a lot of good QBs. That also doesn't count the castoffs like Baker Mayfield and Joe Flacco that were picked up cheap for their new teams and played well. Not to mention the only reason we ever went through QB hell in Dallas is that Jerry kept trying to cheap out when it came to drafting a QB. Drafting low, signing baseball players, and the like.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Macarthur
But again, with 2020 being an outlier historic draft for QBs, for everyone you list here, there are 3 more Dwayne Haskins, Sam Darnold, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, Mac Jones, Daniel Jones, Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen, Mitchell Trubisky.

I mean, the absolute best you can say is that it's been 50/50 and you've got to be picking virtually top 10 AND that is factoring in the historic hit rate of 2020.

I just think you are putting way too much faith in this organization identifying a good QB and putting themselves in the position to take him.
Agristotle
AG
Someone said, "Cowboys problem is they pay good players like they're great".
Woods Ag
AG
Mac Jones was in a **** situation that ruined him. I think he has a chance elsewhere if they can rebuild his confidence.

Baker isn't a bad QB. He's had injuries that he plays thru but that dude is a real leader and doesnt shrink.
Woods Ag
AG
Would you trade Dak to the Raiders for their a haul of picks (whatever it works out to. Multiple firsts, etc) and draft Penix at 13.

Assuming he's there at 13. It's a Raiders on the clock deal.

If they pay Dak this money I am done with the cowboys. Can't do it anymore. It's obvious what I'd do lol
DannyDuberstein
AG
Woods Ag said:

Would you trade Dak to the Raiders for their a haul of picks (whatever it works out to. Multiple firsts, etc) and draft Penix at 13.

Assuming he's there at 13. It's a Raiders on the clock deal.

If they pay Dak this money I am done with the cowboys. Can't do it anymore. It's obvious what I'd do lol

Macarthur
Yes, I like Pennix. I would do that deal. But I also know that there prob a better than 60% chance he will not work out.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't see them ever winning a title with Dak eating $60mm of the cap. Period. Willing to take a risk to reset as long as it meant a load of picks
Macarthur
Mac is still young but neither are anywhere close to the level of QB Dak is.
Woods Ag
AG
It depends which Dak we get. Regular Season game without something huge on the line? Sure, he's better.

Playoffs? I'll take Cooper Rush over Dak
TyHolden
AG
Does Dak use any online masseuses?
cajunken
I'm a Dak fan, and, unfortunately, I hope he does move on to a team that can actually go deep into the playoffs. I'm not a Jerry fan and, unfortunately, any players drafted will not go deep into the playoffs.
Dr Lane Trowlan
Agristotle said:

interesting times for Jerry. He knows the fan base is done with Dak, just hard to care about the regular season knowing Dak will gag in the post season......

and now here come the Texans and they are going for it. You know it really fries Jerry to be possibly #2 in Texas.

Lol. The Texans could win 5 Super Bowls in a row and they'd still be #2 in Texas.
Run The Damn Ball

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.