*****The Official Houston Texans 2024: Slowik strikes back****

28,583 Views | 340 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Max Power
Tx_Aggie15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The cowgirls trade out of the 24th pick. I bet we made an attempt to get into that pick.
IrishAg
That was a good trade for dallas, would have loved getting in there and grabbing Arnold. Wonder if we'll work with Tampa Bay or Arizona (which would be ironic) to get Cooper DeJean
dixichkn
AG
IrishAg said:

That was a good trade for dallas, would have loved getting in there and grabbing Arnold. Wonder if we'll work with Tampa Bay or Arizona (which would be ironic) to get Cooper DeJean
Yeah getting an extra third and probably settled in on Dejean or Barton. That was a good trade down
dixichkn
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

SamHou said:

$100M guaranteed contract for Cousins just to draft Penix?? Makes zero sense.

Love Penix though. I think he's special. Just a little weird they have a QB locked up for 4 years and now they add another QB for 4 years who by the way is also already 24.
I think Penix will wind up being the best QB in this draft. Just like I had a feeling about Josh Allen (which wasn't looking too good his first year or two TBH). I think Penix is the most pro-ready QB in this bunch

I know it's not the biggest position of need, but if we stay put and Edgerrin somehow falls to us, y'all think we take him? Or just best available D lineman? I still think OL is a need position. Protect the crown jewel.
IrishAg
I'm going to be so pissed if the Ravens pick Cooper DeJean
Pahdz
Really enjoying ABC highlighting the community work and off field stories of some of the players tonight
IrishAg
Pahdz said:

Really enjoying ABC highlighting the community work and off field stories of some of the players tonight
Same
3B Paul 97
AG
Taking awhile for 49ers. Must be talking to the Texans.
Ag_07
AG
WTF were Atlanta and Buffalo thinking?
Agmaniacmike12
Ag_07 said:

WTF were Atlanta and Buffalo thinking?
I get the headlines with the Chiefs landing an explosive playmaker from a trade with the Bills, but they clearly aren't that high on Worthy and moved back 5 spots to move from 247--->221, 133--->95, and 200--->141. Think that is great work for a GM. With all of the cuts and cap issues this offseason, they have a chance to fill gaps better across their team with those trades.
Poot
I agree, pretty understandable from Buffalo being that they lost a ton in free agency. They need picks and they need to maximize their picks in this draft.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I get that they need picks and I could even understand their first trade back but that second one only netted them am extra 5th rounder especially when WR is a need of theirs.
Poot
I get it, and I agree there too. I would have gotten Legette there are 32. He looks like a poor man's Deebo to me.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
Needing a LB, CB and DT, round 1 almost couldn't have gone better for the Texans. No LB taken yet, 3 of the 5 CBs expected to go in 1 and only 1 DT off the board, we should get very good players at each position if we make all 3 picks tomorrow.

With 6 more picks coming later, we have the ammo to trade up and get more Defensive depth and maybe a TE and/or RB. Should be fun.
Ryan34
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yeah I get that they need picks and I could even understand their first trade back but that second one only netted them am extra 5th rounder especially when WR is a need of theirs.

I think they're gearing up to trade down again. #33 tends to get a lot of interest since they have all night to work the trade lines.
Max Power
AG
IrishAg said:

Stroud don't mess around, queue the "that's my QB man" memes!!!

Crispin Torque
Ag_07 said:

There is also some speculation that they are trying to work something for Higgins or Aiyuk. Trading out of the First round entirely gives them more time.
Crispin Torque
The Texans are in such a good spot with the way the draft fell. Went about as well as could be expected.

The Athletic's Round 2/3 Mock has them taking Mike Sainstrill at 42 and Mike Hall at 59. That would an exceptional result. Even if it doesnt work out like that, there are so many good defenders that will be available.

If they decide to make a trade, I could see it being to use some of their excess picks to turn their late third rounder into an early third or a late second.
Teddy Perkins
AG

Part 2
Max Power
AG
Crispin Torque said:

The Texans are in such a good spot with the way the draft fell. Went about as well as could be expected.

The Athletic's Round 2/3 Mock has them taking Mike Sainstrill at 42 and Mike Hall at 59. That would an exceptional result. Even if it doesnt work out like that, there are so many good defenders that will be available.

If they decide to make a trade, I could see it being to use some of their excess picks to turn their late third rounder into an early third or a late second.

CB: Cooper DeJean, Kool-Aid McKinstry, Ennis Rakestraw Jr
DT: Jer'Zhan Newton, Braden Fiske, Kris Jenkins
S: Tyler Nubin, Javon Bullard, Cole Bishop
LB: Edgerrin Cooper, Payton Wilson, Junior Colson

Next picks:
Buffalo - gotta be WR
New England - OL or WR
Arizona - CB or DT
Washington - OL or DE
Chargers - almost anything but OT
Titans - DT is my guess
Panthers - DE or OL
Washington - OL or DE
Green Bay - CB or S

Right now of the best players available that fit our needs Houston doesn't need to panic to move up, I would say the Chargers would be most likely to trade back due to their needs. Arizona is the only team I'm concerned about taking a high need guy for us before the Chargers are on the clock.

If Houston trades up I'm guessing it's for DeJean or Newton. Depending on how that shakes out the later picks mostly like to target S or LB.
Ag_07
AG
Crispin Torque said:

Ag_07 said:

There is also some speculation that they are trying to work something for Higgins or Aiyuk. Trading out of the First round entirely gives them more time.

OK now that makes sense. Hadn't seen that.

Like I said the first trade made some sense although it is weird they traded with KC who took Worthy. It was the trade back for an extra 5th when Legette was sitting there that was the WTF moment for me.
canadiaggie
AG
Caserio nailed the trade down out of the 1st round. I think he knew the draft was going to fall this way, maybe not as historically offense-skewed as it ended up being, but I think he predicted that a lot of 1st round defensive talent would be there in the 2nd.

Got us a proven WR (granted, maybe a 1 year rental, but still) and has us in great position to address some needs.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Yep - Caserio is the man. WAJ trade was great and I think Nick knew there'd be no one close to that level in 2024.
Max Power
AG
canadiaggie said:

Caserio nailed the trade down out of the 1st round. I think he knew the draft was going to fall this way, maybe not as historically offense-skewed as it ended up being, but I think he predicted that a lot of 1st round defensive talent would be there in the 2nd.

Got us a proven WR (granted, maybe a 1 year rental, but still) and has us in great position to address some needs.
A rare trade tht worked out for both teams. Minnesota still ended up with McCarthy without trading up and they landed Dallas Turner after moving up from our pick, that's a pretty good deal for them. Also good for us that in the first round there were 23 offensive picks compared to 9 defensive and defense is our biggest opportunity for the draft.

Pick breakdown for the first round:
OL - 9
WR - 7
QB - 6
DE - 5
CB - 3
TE - 1
DT - 1

Ryan34
AG
Max Power said:

canadiaggie said:

A rare trade tht worked out for both teams. Minnesota still ended up with McCarthy without trading up and they landed Dallas Turner after moving up from our pick, that's a pretty good deal for them. Also good for us that in the first round there were 23 offensive picks compared to 9 defensive and defense is our biggest opportunity for the draft.

Pick breakdown for the first round:
OL - 9
WR - 7
QB - 6
DE - 5
CB - 3
TE - 1
DT - 1

Minnesota did trade up for McCarthy, albeit 1 spot. They gave up a 4th and a 5th plus got a 7th in return. Plus they gave up a ton to move up from 42 to 17.

Now they have one 4th, two 6ths, and two 7ths left in this draft. Plus they gave up 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounders next year. I'm not sure McCarthy and Turner are worth all that.
Ranger222
AG
canadiaggie said:

It was interesting that Brian Thomas Jr. ended up being selected at 23. I don't think the Texans would have taken Brian Thomas Jr. if they had stayed at 23 and not pursued Diggs -- not just because of who else was on the board, but Thomas Jr. is more of an X receiver which overlaps with Nico's role too much. Xavier Worthy or Ricky Pearsall (my personal favorite) would have been better options to fit specific roles for the offense even if Thomas Jr. was the better ranked prospect and turns out to be the better overall player out of that range.

I do think the Texans would have drafted Terrion Arnold and was the target of the "trade back into the 1st round" rumors from last night. I'm assuming they had a much higher grade on him and were stunned, much like a lot of the league, that he was available at 23-24 and didn't go in the high teens. All of the corners dropping was pretty unexpected.
Ranger222
AG
Looking at who is available and who the Texans met with for the 2nd round:

• Edgerrin Cooper, Linebacker, Texas A&M (LOC)
  • Michael Hall Jr., Defensive Tackle, Ohio State (T30)
  • Kool-Aid McKinstry, Cornerback, Alabama (COM)
  • Ennis Rakestraw Jr.^, Cornerback, Missouri (COM, T30)
  • Mike Sainristil, Cornerback, Michigan (COM)
  • Kingsley Suamataia, Offensive Tackle, BYU (T30)
  • Payton Wilson, Linebacker, N.C. State (T30)

Could see Hall Jr. / Kool-Aid / Rakestraw Jr. / Sainristil being the targets at 42 and Payton Wilson + whoever out of those already listed left over being the targets at 59

Max Power
AG
Oops, didn't realize they did move up, guess they needed to stay in front of LV, who in turn hit the panic button at 13 and took Bowers.
Ryan34
AG
Ranger222 said:

Could see Hall Jr. / Kool-Aid / Rakestraw Jr. / Sainristil being the targets at 42 and Payton Wilson + whoever out of those already listed left over being the targets at 59

I only see 2 DTs on the list that the Texans met with. I think we definitely need one, but still not sure they'll target one as high as many expect. We're not paying Autry $10M/year to be a backup, plus he's too good anyways. I expect to see lineups with him, Anderson, and Hunter a lot. In which case, a space eating NT would make a lot of sense, and those can be had in the 3rd or 4th round. Plus we signed Jax's starting NT in free agency.

Edge Cooper would not surprise me at all. We have a massive hole at 3rd LB, and Azeez isn't strong in coverage. Cooper or another rangy LB could allow Azeez to be more of a 2 down guy.

My money would be on DB first though. We signed several guys on one-year, prove-it deals but none really move the needle. Cooper Dejean would be really enticing to me. He has a lot of flexibility that could open up some interesting options on the backend.
Bogey1996
Unless we win it all with Diggs as a one year rental, I think we will look back and wish we would have stayed pat and drafted Brian Thomas. Of course, if we hit it big at 42 then that changes everything. I doubt we target a WR, but if we get Keon Coleman with one of 2nd picks, I had him close to Brian Thomas (actually had him higher during the season).
canadiaggie
AG
Ryan34 said:

Ranger222 said:

I only see 2 DTs on the list that the Texans met with. I think we definitely need one, but still not sure they'll target one as high as many expect. We're not paying Autry $10M/year to be a backup, plus he's too good anyways. I expect to see lineups with him, Anderson, and Hunter a lot. In which case, a space eating NT would make a lot of sense, and those can be had in the 3rd or 4th round. Plus we signed Jax's starting NT in free agency.

Edge Cooper would not surprise me at all. We have a massive hole at 3rd LB, and Azeez isn't strong in coverage. Cooper or another rangy LB could allow Azeez to be more of a 2 down guy.

My money would be on DB first though. We signed several guys on one-year, prove-it deals but none really move the needle. Cooper Dejean would be really enticing to me. He has a lot of flexibility that could open up some interesting options on the backend.
I think we have to trade up to get Dejean. I'd be surprised if he isn't the next or 2nd to next DB off the board.

If Kool-Aid falls to us due to the foot injury I'd jump on that (assuming the medical eval holds up).
Ryan34
AG
Agreed, I think we'd have to move up for Dejean. I think we'll see the Texans move around a lot though. We have 9 picks, but I doubt we have 9 roster spots. Whether it's for Dejean or in the 3rd-5th rounds, moving around for specific guys makes sense with our roster.
Texan_Aggie
AG
I still don't understand why we have a need for a WR? I think Collins and Dell are your core, and you'll be able to get decent to good vets who want to come play with CJ.

Unless we don't feel good about resigning Collins, I don't think a young WR is a need. At the very least, WR is usually a 2-3 year payoff unless they're a JJ type.
IrishAg
Texan_Aggie said:

I still don't understand why we have a need for a WR? I think Collins and Dell are your core, and you'll be able to get decent to good vets who want to come play with CJ.

Unless we don't feel good about resigning Collins, I don't think a young WR is a need. At the very least, WR is usually a 2-3 year payoff unless they're a JJ type.
Most of the reasoning I've heard from the Texan podcasts is that Diggs is old and only on a 1 year contract, so if the right person falls into our lap going ahead and getting someone to replace him. Makes sense since this is a really deep draft and there is a good chance to find quality starters in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I think if it wasn't a deep draft at the position no one would be bringing it up.
IrishAg
Ryan34 said:

Agreed, I think we'd have to move up for Dejean. I think we'll see the Texans move around a lot though. We have 9 picks, but I doubt we have 9 roster spots. Whether it's for Dejean or in the 3rd-5th rounds, moving around for specific guys makes sense with our roster.
Yeah, I just don't see Caserio waiting for the picks to come to him today. I'm guessing we have a lot of activity,

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.