Oled TV and Size recommendations.

3,705 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by kyledr04
JeremiahJohnson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Moving into a new place. I haven't bought new a tv in 10 years.

Estimating about a $2500 budget for TV. For tv I probably want an OLED since it is at an angle mounted above mantle. I mostly watch sports and movies streamed.

I was thinking 65" LG G3 or 77" C3.

For reference mantle is 75" wide. Rug is 8x10ft so typical viewing distance will be about 12 ft. Should I go bigger with a 77 or get a better 65".

Is there a different tv I should be looking at? Is there that big a difference that I need to spring another. Grand for a 77" G3? Or go with a high end led?

Enzomatic
Just pulled the trigger on the 77inch C3 (literally 2 minutes ago) to replace my 65 inch C1 destroyed by water damage. I didn't think bigger than 65 would work in my living room where sitting distance isn't too far from the tv, but I've been told by multiple people in the AV field that I could definitely go bigger (that's what she said?) and 77 would work fine.

So with the current sale through tomorrow, I figured now's the time.
Enzomatic
Only concern in your setup is being above the mantle. Being so high, a big tv might not be as comfortable to look up at if you're too close.
DallasTeleAg
Yeah... being above the mantle is going to give you some neck issues.

I'd recommend looking at a mount that you can pull out a bit and lower, for when you are watching movies and such. My parents did this and it works great.
YouBet
AG
Is the 77in going to be wider than your mantle? That would probably look obnoxious if it is. If it's not, go as big as you can assuming you are far enough away that you aren't straining your neck.

Builders putting the TV over the fireplace is one of the more short sighted design moves out there but I get sometimes you don't have a choice. It's a pretty room though.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Yeah it's not ideal viewing angle. J have had high TVs in the past. It hasn't bothered me too bad. But that was with a 65". I do have a media room as well with an 85" but feel like we rarely used it in the past.

JeremiahJohnson
AG
77 inch is 67 inches wide.

Mantle is 75 inches wide. So a few inches on each side.

Tv being bigger would have bothered me too.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
The deal on that 77" C3 is awesome. Wonder if the sale will continue past presidents weekend or if I need to pull the trigger tomorrow.
agdoc2001
AG
The best thing about oleds is how dark their blacks are. Nothing about bright room with tv above the fireplace screams "you need an oled" to me. With all that ambient light, you'll need peak brightness. Consider a mini-led or even traditional led with fald.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I've flip flopped 100 times wondering this. I floated the G3 since it I brighter. Not tied to Oled. Just want the best I can possibly buy in this price range.
Enzomatic
JeremiahJohnson said:

The deal on that 77" C3 is awesome. Wonder if the sale will continue past presidents weekend or if I need to pull the trigger tomorrow.

Site says through the 11th as the superbowl sale. I've been keeping an eye on sales since I'm ready to buy. It was this low during the Black Friday month, then up to around 2499 before the Super Bowl sale going til tomorrow. I'd expect it to go back up on Monday based on that trend, but could be wrong.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Sale was similar last week for washers and driers. I bought one bc it said sale was expiring. The next day they were $100 cheaper. Haha oh well

I will probably buy anyways tomorrow. We move in next week and need to get it set up.
Enzomatic
JeremiahJohnson said:

Sale was similar last week for washers and driers. I bought one bc it said sale was expiring. The next day they were $100 cheaper. Haha oh well

I will probably buy anyways tomorrow. We move in next week and need to get it set up.

Probably true. But this is the lowest this tv has been, with a span between Christmas and a couple weeks ago with it being higher. If it drops on Monday, then I'll cancel my order and buy it again. I'm ok being wrong.
jr15aggie
AG
I've got an LG CX... which is, I think, a 2 or 3 year older model than the C3. Absolutely amazing TV. You will not go wrong with a C3 or G3.
jr15aggie
AG
As for the mantle issue. They make tv mounts that can pull out and down to view at a more reasonable angle. I know because I have one above my fireplace.

It's great. Mounts pretty flat most of the time, but we can pull it down when we want.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I just bought a c3 a couple weeks ago. Love it once I got it dialed in on the settings. With as bright as that room is going to be I'd go with the G3 for the brighter capability.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Just curious what you're using for audio. Just the TV speakers?
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I will use a Sonos Soundbar and sub. Sonos is just an easy way to link up the entire house and have the ability to control everything from my phone.

I also have a full surround sound system from Bowers and Wilkins, but it wont work for this room. I will use it in the media room.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Settled on a 65". Top of a 77 would just be too high after yall gave me that idea. I went and measured.

Bought the LG g3. Appreciate the help
JeremiahJohnson
AG
65 LG G3 looks great. Happy with my choice. I think 77 would have been good too.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I used this site as a starting point for picture and sound settings. Only minor tweaks needed after this.

Looks great!

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/g3-oled/settings
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Awesome Thank you !
92Ag95
AG
TV over the mantle

JeremiahJohnson
AG
Would you rather me hang it on a window? GTFO. If i want to watch tv in my living room there is no other other place to put it.
Vade281
AG
They do make mounts that will have it lower when you want to use the tv so that it's not straining your neck.

htxag09
AG
JeremiahJohnson said:

Would you rather me hang it on a window? GTFO. If i want to watch tv in my living room there is no other other place to put it.
Yeah....I don't get this hate. I mean if I was building a house from scratch would I put it over the mantle? Probably not. But....space in most homes is limited. Fireplace is typically the focal point, makes complete sense that most homes are going to be laid out for the TV to kind of have to go above the fireplace....

Also don't understand the strain your neck comments.....Our TV is above the mantle and never once have I been uncomfortable or thought I was straining my neck to watch it. Even thoughts of the viewing angle being too high have never once occurred to me....

Only "hate" I can understand are aesthetics. But, is what it is. I can't really afford a home with a formal sitting room and a TV room. Even if I could, don't really want one. We got a Frame TV to help with that slightly.
boy09
AG
I have no criticism about putting your TV above the fireplace, you gotta do what you gotta do. But i will say, just keep an eye on your TV if you do use your fireplace a lot. My parents have their TV mounted above their gas fireplace. They replaced their old Vizio last year because the backlight was starting to go out, and when we pulled it off the wall all the plastic on the back of the TV was super warped from the heat over the years. They also don't have a mantle that probably would have deflected some of the heat, but just a reminder to be cautious.
kyledr04
AG
Our is over the mantel and I've never liked it, mostly because it's too high. But there's no other good place for it. I need to look into those pull down mounts.

I have lg cx 65in and is been great. Also have 55in c2. Was great until it died. Apparently power supply issues are common in those. Waiting on a warranty repair.
WoMD
Cancelling my Costco order. And I just realized they kind of tricked me into the extra Allstate protection plan, having the sale price a hundred higher than they claim, so they can decrease it a hundred. And then charge that hundred for the Allstate thing separately. So they advertise it as 2299, but that's only if you pay an additional hundred, otherwise it's 2399. So you end up paying a total of $2399 regardless, in which case yes, the additional Allstate thing is "free." There is no scenario where you end up spending the $2299 as advertised.

Or I can just get it at amazon for $1999...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BVX61P9B/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=fb36b5acce9311eeadf3560a8f91e5750INT&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
jja79
AG
I'm a failure at life. $300 is my limit for a TV.
jr15aggie
AG
I have one of those pull down mounts for our living room TV above the fire place. It works great!

Fortunately we have a dedicated TV room... But when I want to sit down in the living room for an extended time to watch something or play games on it, pulling the TV down closer to eye-level is a huge plus!
lancevance
jja79 said:

I'm a failure at life. $300 is my limit for a TV.

Mine was $600 two years ago. I bought a Vizio Mq6 series tv. Features and all that are fine, but the sound is so "soft spoken". And thats the best way to describe it. If someone is talking while watching, you can't hear the TV properly. Every TV I have had before has been pretty loud that you have to make an attempt to talk over it, not the other around.
zag213004
AG
This weekend was the last straw. A remote that already has the battery cover duct taped was Split in half by forces unknown (kids). That in combination of not being able to watch anything non animated with burning out panel which is too hot to touch when operating and thus a fire risk, I pulled the trigger on an LG G3.

Now with that i am looking for a mount that will work. The studs on TV are not positioned on the wall in a way that will allow me to use the wall mount provided so it looks like I need to find a vesa pattern flat mount that I can use that is low profile but can pop the TV out if/when I need to change the input wires. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced one?
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Sanus or cheaper one that is similar is USX Full motion mount
kyledr04
AG
I just got a Sony A75L 65in to replace a broken LG c2. I like it a lot so far. The first one I got was DOA.

It's a basic version of the A80L with worse sound and simpler case. I already a sound bar so that didn't matter. The 55 and 65 are on sale now at Best Buy since the 24s are coming.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.