Favorite Printer

2,172 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by aggiedata
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know this is a very boring topic. But what is your favorite printer for an office setting? We have a big fancy one in our main office that I can use but I'd like one by my desk that is simple but super reliable. TIA!
n_touch
Need Color or just B/W?
tfunk02
AG
https://www.rtings.com/printer

My favorite review site does printers now. I used them and then googled around for other reviews of the ones I narrowed down to. So far, what I got lives up to the review on rtings.
Average Joe
AG
I, for one, choose death.
agdoc2001
AG
If you're buying the ink - Epson Ecotank
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EMY92
AG
I don't print often. My old ink jets would dry out and I'd waste all of the ink and couldn't print when needed.

9 years ago I bought a Brother laser printer. It's still going strong and printing when I need it.

Avoid HP at all cost.
powerbelly
AG
EMY92 said:

Avoid HP at all cost.
I can't stress this enough.
Jabin
powerbelly said:

EMY92 said:

Avoid HP at all cost.
Really??? All I've ever had are HP Laserjets and they've been bullet-proof tanks.
powerbelly
AG
Jabin said:

powerbelly said:

EMY92 said:

Avoid HP at all cost.
Really??? All I've ever had are HP Laserjets and they've been bullet-proof tanks.
Yes, they are moving to a subscription model for all printers. Beyond quality issues, you have to pay monthly to print.
Jabin
I did not know that. That's a big NO for me, dog.
FatZilla
AG
Epson or Brother tank based printers are fantastic for desk based. Love my ecotank and ink is CHEAP for it and lasts a long time vs cartridge.
aggiejohn
AG
EMY92 said:

I don't print often. My old ink jets would dry out and I'd waste all of the ink and couldn't print when needed.

9 years ago I bought a Brother laser printer. It's still going strong and printing when I need it.

Avoid HP at all cost.

he speaks the truth!

never, never, never buy an inkjet of any brand.
pay a little bit more and buy a laser printer. I bought a Brother (Dell-labeled) and it has been Ole Reliable.
Ornithopter
AG
Gutenberg for me, easily. Dude transformed the world.
PeekingDuck
AG
Brother Laserjet, no contest
92_Ag
AG
I had a Dell 5100cn color laser jet (made by Lexmark) for almost 20 years and THAT thing was a workhorse. The only reason I had to retire it is that it started needing parts and I couldn't find anyone who carried them at a reasonable price.

I replaced it with a Kyocera and it's (so far) just as reliable and consistent with a lot more modern tech. I ended up buying it from Printer Showcase because the guys there really knew their stuff and were always willing to answer/return calls. One guy actually called me from the car on the way to his kid's baseball game for a support issue I had on a firmware update.

I'd never get an inkjet of any kind.

Voice/sample size of one.
Absolute
AG
Avoid the Canon Maxify tank like the plague! Bought it to try the tank concept because it looked a little more professionally capable than the epson. The tank part is fine. HAven't tracked exactly, but probably around 50% of the cost of cartridges. Worst paper handling capability of any printer I have EVER had. It sucks! Constantly jams, constantly skips pages. Was too expensive to throw away, so living with it for now.

Also have a HP office jet pro 9025. Think it is the third one I have had. I know there is lots of HP hate here, but they have been pretty good for me. The interface is a little antiquated. But it handles paper and envelopes pretty well. Don't love the subscription model in general, but I print a fair amount monthly and the instant ink program was cheaper than buying cartridges. Not as cheap as the tanks, but not terrible. They have lots of plans to fit different needs.

Have had lasers in the past - Brother and Oki. Relatively high end models. Consumable costs are REALLY high on those and all the ones I had released a fair amount of toner dust into the air and all eventually started dumping it through out the unit. Hence the switch to inkjets.
Breggy Popup
AG
powerbelly said:

Jabin said:

powerbelly said:

EMY92 said:

Avoid HP at all cost.
Yes, they are moving to a subscription model for all printers. Beyond quality issues, you have to pay monthly to print.

I don't think this is entirely accurate. They started a subscription service in which you are renting the printer and yes are allotted a certain number of pages per month. Like a car lease.

You can still buy a printer outright and ink or toner.

That said, HP (and all others) inkjets are crap. They do have solid laser printers. I've had the M479fdw for five years and not a hiccup. I did the math back then also and toner was actually cheaper per page than ink.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
While the odds are good that I wouldn't buy a new HP printer today, the HP LaserJets of yesterday are bullet-proof tanks that still give high quality results at a low, low cost per page 20 years after they were last sold.

I've got two LaserJet 4050TN's at my office and one at my home.

We've got duplexers, envelope feeders and extra trays on all of them, and a hard drive on one of them. The most used one has over 300,000 pages on it and has required very little maintenance, all of which we've done ourselves. It speaks autoswitching PCL and PostScript and has true 1200 x 1200 dpi resolution.

You can still buy these refurbed (and they're not cheap, which says something about just how good they were/are).

Unlike current HP offerings, there's none of that chipped 'authentic' toner cartridge stuff either.
Absolute
AG
The subscription thing is just the ink. You buy the printer. Called instant ink. It monitors and sends new cartridges when needed. I did find that I would have to called and beg for some extras to be sent initially, otherwise I would run out, since I do 4k to 7knof sheets in bunches. But they were pretty accommodating and in have a drawer full of extras. But once I did that, they show up and I throw them in the drawer.

I agree that the equiwnt is junk. Really wonder why printers are not better. It is not a new technology. The equipment is such junk. Honestly the hp stuff has been better than most,still not great but not terrible. Like I posted the Canon I bought is garbage.

Really have to look at your needs and willingness to spend up front.
powerbelly
AG
No, we have one. It is not rented, it is an ink subscription and will not work if you don't pay monthly.
FatZilla
AG
Whatever you buy, stick to 2 things and you will be fine:

No Subscriptions
No Validation Chips

Laser is more expensive upfront and per page over the long run, especially if you want color but it has very high clarity, faster prints, overall durability and longevity. No idea if laser cartridges have gone chip based yet, others may know though. If they have, dont buy any printer using them.

Inkjet is cheaper upfront and per page (especially tank based inkjets) but is just normal clarity compared to laser, much slower ppm than laser and the jets can clog if it is left unused for long periods and isn't allowed to run its regular maintenance cycles. If its always being used and is plugged in and allowed to run regular maintenance on its own, clogging it not really a big worry. Stick to generic cartridges or tank based inkjet, no chip based garbage like hp or brother or many others.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
powerbelly said:

Jabin said:

powerbelly said:

EMY92 said:

Avoid HP at all cost.
Yep. I never would have thought a 'smart' company would go this route. Man, what happened to HP?

From 'Wired' magazine:

HP Wants to Rent you a Printer that it Monitors at All Times

Quote:

One of the most perturbing aspects of the subscription plan is that it requires subscribers to keep their printers connected to the internet.

In January, HP CEO Enrique Lores declared that HP's "long-term objective is to make printing a subscription." The All-In-Plan is HP's latest attempt at that goal, hoping people believe that the subscription service will simplify things for themselves. And by including high cancellation fees, HP is looking to lock subscribers in for two years.
Absolute
AG
Wow. That is not the plan I have, would not do that. Mine is just the ink, cancel anytime.. And you can use other ink if you aren't on the subscription plan.

In general, I often wonder why printer technology sucks so bad. Not a new technology, but they are such junk. Even the expensive ones I have had suck.
YouBet
AG
Me contemplating everything in life becoming a lease model:

LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I have switched from HP to Epson for inkjets.
Epson XP-7100 has become a new favorite desktop color inkjet.
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/9933091/Epson-Expression-Premium-XP-7100-Wireless/

It is about $250 right now, may want to wait a week and see if it goes down to about $150.
I try to buy 1 or 2 when the price drops and keep them as spare, which don't seem to last long.

PC Mag review from 2019
Chipotlemonger
AG
PeekingDuck said:

Brother Laserjet, no contest

Agreed
aggiedata
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.