nVidia 4090 Issues - Buyer beware

1,226 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by ABATTBQ11
AmC_OldSarge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I buy a ton of GPU's, I have hundreds of both 3090's and 4090's. (Not Crypto)

If you buy a 4090, make sure you are supporting the back end of the card. I've lost 4 cards so far due to a crack forming at the rear of the PCIe slot (near retention tab). Manufacturer will not warranty as they claim they were damaged in shipping, they weren't). The heatsinks are so heavy they eventually break just running. I have started moving to a chassis that mount the cards vertically to eliminate the stress.

If you don't have a 4090, but plan on getting one, get the new one by Gigabyte, as they have supposedly re-enforced the connection point.

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/gpus/gigabyte-addresses-pcb-cracking-issues-with-a-revised-design

Hope this helps someone avoid the pain of expensive paperweights.

fav13andac1)c
AG
I have a 4080 inside a fractal torrent compact and have the GPU support bracket that came with the case installed. I assume that should be enough?
javajaws
AG
I have 2 4090s and use a gpu stand with each. I thought everybody knew to use one? Those things are heavy!
FatZilla
AG
Good job for cheap 3d printer to print out a support for the cards.
AmC_OldSarge
AG

Oh we used the rear brackets as well. Not enough.

New chassis to avoid these issues going forward.

https://thermaltakeusa.com/collections/chassis/products/cte-t500-air-full-tower-chassis-ca-1x8-00f1wn-00

IrishAg
AmC_OldSarge said:

Oh we used the rear brackets as well. Not enough.

New chassis to avoid these issues going forward.

https://thermaltakeusa.com/collections/chassis/products/cte-t500-air-full-tower-chassis-ca-1x8-00f1wn-00

I love those orientations. Still using a silverstone case from 12+ years ago that has that orientation for a 32 core Epyc system, and it's so much more efficient at cooling things than the front to back.
OldArmy07
AG
Does anyone make a mid size case either the rear GPU mount? My cpu starts to roast with all of the extra GPU heat today.
Average Joe
AG
Now I'm curious as to what you do with hundreds of GPU's if not for crypto. If it's ML related, why consumer cards?
Velvet Jones
AG
So much this.
AmC_OldSarge
AG

Point Cloud Rendering
YouBet
AG
AmC_OldSarge said:

Point Cloud Rendering
We're in the same industry!

AmC_OldSarge
AG

And we both spend way too much time on F16.
ABATTBQ11
AG
AmC_OldSarge said:

Point Cloud Rendering

I was going to ask the same question, but this makes a ton of sense
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.