Outdoors
Sponsored by

Total Archery Challenge

3,154 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by AggieJames09
ETX14.16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else shooting TAC this year? Registered for Beaver's Bend event in April. Shot last year for the first time with a buddy and had a blast. We're trying some more difficult courses this year with longer shots, which conveniently justified a new bow sight!

I've heard online registration has been different almost every year, but registering as a group this time was an improvement over last.
AggieJames09
AG
I shoot it every year. We should have a TexAgs happy hour after.
TxAG-010
AG
They have had the worst registration/software failures for 5 years running. Glad to hear they may have gotten it right this year.
TikkaShooter
Shooting at Nat Bridge Caverns this spring. Have a Friday morning time slot.
whitespikes06
AG
This our 3rd year at Beavers Bend. Yes, the registration is challenging but they are awesome to work with if you contact them. We always shoot our scheduled Nock time in the morning and do a second course in the afternoon. Shooting Friday and Saturday. We're a group of 3 Ags and 2 OSU Cowboys.
Jrod05
AG
Was thinking about the San Antonio but I haven't shot in a good bit so it may be over my head
TikkaShooter
Anyone who signs up for San Antonio let me know, it would be fun to have an Aggie meet up.
Hoyt Ag
AG
If anyone is doing the Sunlight Mountain course in Glenwood Springs, let me know. I am in Meeker and would be up for a meet up or some fly fishing.
JFABNRGR
AG
What time date course in SA?
Not 100% my shoulder will be ready to fire away but intend to at least walk a course or two.

I am also for sure doing Terry Peak probably early morning Friday and Saturday on the harder courses.
TikkaShooter
Friday, 11am. Shooting jack links then hoping to squeeze in the longer range course or just shoot the range/enjoy the afternoon
CivilEng08
Shooting Sat & Sun in earlier morning slots. Scheduled for Nock On and Jack Links and may shoot another course or two afterward.
JFABNRGR
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Friday, 11am. Shooting jack links then hoping to squeeze in the longer range course or just shoot the range/enjoy the afternoon
Registered for Jack Links Friday 11AM.
Saturday Sitka 2:30.
Sunday RMEF 9:30 but wouldn't mind doing this one after Jack Links on Friday.

I can't even pick up a bow until March 26th following my 2nd shoulder surgery in 1 year. Might have bit off more than I can handle.....may have to pass on a few of the targets.

Will DM prior to meet up.

Likely going to Terry Peak but registration not open yet if not Big Sky.

TikkaShooter
Sounds like we are shooting at the same time on Friday.

Yes, let's connect in the days before.
JFABNRGR
AG
Damn Terry Peak sold out completely in 2 hours.
Emailed for a cancellation.
Will have to try for Sunlight Colorado now.
TikkaShooter
Bump. Anyone else shooting at NBC for the SA shoot?
AggieJames09
AG
Im shooting Sunday Jacks Link at 10AM. I live about fifteen minutes away and going to have some something going on most the weekend with buddies in town. Shoot me a message if you want to meet up for a beer and shoot.
CivilEng08
Shooting at NBC?
TikkaShooter
Natural bridge caverns

I'm shooting Friday morning
CivilEng08
Just double checked my details and I'm shooting Jack Links on Sat at 9 and Nock On Sunday at 8:30. Will see about sneaking in another course or two afterwards. Edit: this is San Antonio.
Bob Sympkins
I'll be shooting Friday morning at NBC at 8am. Shoot me a text if anyone wants to link up to visit. Got a small outdoor apparel company and will happily bring a cap/shirt to anyone who will be there while Im there

979.203.zero877
JFABNRGR
AG
Last night I shot my first arrows since November. Three strings of 4 arrows at 20-30-30 Yards. That said I will leave this bit of advice.

If you have to have rotator cuff surgery; make sure your getting the best surgeon your money or insurance can buy and then DONT **** up the recovery.

Backstory

On 1-12-23 I had rotator cuff surgery with a bicep tendesis from a local surgeon who did the exact same procedure on my wife and was highly regarded in Austin. I was very disciplined about doing the PT even at home knowing Elk season was only 2 months after scheduled full recovery.

On 3-5-23 out of my sling already and while spectating at daughters VB tournament a ball came off the court to me and I instinctively played it popping the bicep anchor. Revisited with my doc, who confirmed while recommending to do nothing. Went on to hunt last fall but visited my knee surgeon at the Steadman clinic where the pros and Olympians go, where he recommended repairing and cleaning up the scar tissue. The kicker was that the imaging wasn't on the screen for 5 seconds and he commented they no longer use those anchors they use some far more redundant. I should have spent the extra 20K to have him do it the first time, though there is no guarantee, the fix would have survived the VB contact at that time.

Had surgery again on 1-16-24 at the Steadman clinic. Again doing PT vigorously and doing things that I thought would perfectly transcend into archery but the bicep getting to full draw does not feel well and I suspect its because the tendon has been shortened now twice to re-anchor and at 54 its not going to stretch. Same feeling I get in my bottom of quad in a deep squat (had torn quadricep tendon surgery 3.5 years ago).

I will give an update but right now I should probably bring more arrows to SA TAC than I was planning on

JFABNRGR
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Sounds like we are shooting at the same time on Friday.

Yes, let's connect in the days before.
PM me so we can coordinate. Maybe meet 30 min before our start at Hoyt booth. Supposed to be pretty windy tomorrow.
TikkaShooter
Bleh. Wind sucks.

No pm for me. Can you shoot me an email?

User name, using the yahoo address
CivilEng08
Weather is going to be garbage!!!

Still looking forward to it. In typical fashion, I decided to change my sight setup on Wednesday to make a different pin a floater. Hopefully I can find some time tomorrow to check a few distances 40-80 to make sure I grabbed the right tape.
TikkaShooter
Rain holding off. So far.

Wind getting western. Should be interesting! Gong no quiver to try to reduce wind catch on the riser. Either way…going to donate some arrows to the rocks out here. No doubt!
TikkaShooter
Just wrapped up for the day! Boy, that was fun.

Shot the course with JFABNRGR and had a blast. Jack Links course was 25 different targets, from 40 to 100 yards.

Donated an arrow or two, but overall very happy with my shooting. Will put up some photos later.
JFABNRGR
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Just wrapped up for the day! Boy, that was fun.

Shot the course with JFABNRGR and had a blast. Jack Links course was 25 different targets, from 40 to 100 yards.

Donated an arrow or two, but overall very happy with my shooting. Will put up some photos later.

That was fun. I am smoked but very happy as well with my shooting. That certainly was way over 2 hours I must have been on the 15 shot elk course. My apologies for the bad info. The pair an inch a part from 100 yards on bigfoot is from TikkaShooter.

TikkaShooter
I'm not sure I could repeat the two side by side at 100 if I tried!

Nice to meet you today. Let's shoot again soon
DG96
AG
Shot nock on and sitka today. Little different set up than previous years as far as target locations. Sitka was of course full of tight window shots. Plenty of wind but going to be more tomorrow.
AggieJames09
AG
Shot jack links yesterday and got a little wet. Really enjoy this weekend every year.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.