Outdoors
Sponsored by

What is Wrong With My Ref Oaks??

914 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by AJ02
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
**RED OAKS**

This is new in the last few months. First four photos are one tree that last photo is a second tree. This is at the base, near the ground, on both trees. You can see a bore hole in some photos.

We paid a LOT of money to have these installed about 18 months ago… I'm feeling a bit panicky.

toolshed
AG
Just saw a post somewhere else about hypoxylon canker. It talked about the bark separating and fungal growths similar to those pics. I'm not an expert by any means.
WaldoWings
I think you are right. Looks like borers have gotten in the sore, too.
Watchful Ag
AG
First three don't look very promising. Did you have irrigation going to the trees last summer?
AggieAuditor
AG
Bayer makes a couple of sprays/fertilizers that are worth a shot. Saved one of my reds that looked sick as hell.
rancher1953
Hypoxylon canker for sure. Best to cut down as it can be spread to other trees.
AJ02
AG
We had Ability Tree come out and look at all of ours since we've lost 12 in the last couple of years. $75 service call that they will then apply to any treatments you decide on.

We had our pines treated to prevent pine beetles. We just lost one pine to them and it only takes 36 hours for them to tunnel in and destroy a tree beyond repair. Had them clean and patch a canker in an oak, and then they sprayed the three oaks in our front yard with anti-fungal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.