Outdoors
Sponsored by

Managing a small high fenced ranch

4,868 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by weston.gooch
AnScAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First off, 270 ac isn't that small, we just get used to hearing about or hunting on 6000+ ac properties, I grew up on a dairy with nearly 200 cows and our place was about that size. With that said, it is still way too small to run a bunch of different exotic species unless you're willing to spend big time $$ feeding year round. I would only pick one other animal to add to the mix, and axis would be your best bet. One fact that you need to realize is that if you add axis or any similar species you are most likely going to negatively affect the performance of you whitetail unless you are willing to feed a bunch, and even then you may still impact your whitetail numbers and antler quality. A good rule of thumb if you want to grow your huntable numbers quickly is for every 1 mature male add a minimum of 5 females and at least 2 spikes/immature males.

Something to consider before introducing any exotics is the quality of your fences. When we bought our current place 7 years ago, we added fallow, axis and blackbuck after a year or so, the majority of our fences were in very good shape with real 8' deer proof fence, but we do have a mile plus section that is two 4' fences wired together that is over 20 years old. We lost 9 of 10 axis does that were likely getting run by coyotes that ran into the corner where the two 4' sections and an 8' section meet and broke the wires between the 4' pieces and escaped. Exotics will run the fences when you introduce them for a fairly long time and getting cornered by dogs/coyotes is a real possibility so your fences need to be in good shape before you turn any exotics out. Another consideration is predator control both prior to introduction and continuously after, any newly introduced specie is going to be easier pickings for coyotes and bobcats than your current whitetails are, so spending a little time and money trapping ahead of time with definitely help protect your investment.
klockness
AG
My in-laws have a 300 acre ranch that use to have exotics. They didn't really manage it in the last 15 years. It had axis and fallow from the past. They tried a variety of other exotics. Here's what I've learned from the history of the place and my 4 years with them.

It's hard to keep white tail and axis, especially on a small place. There were just a few axis left from years past (the freeze wiped out most of what we had a year after I got out there). There were no 4yo+ WT bucks when I started putting out feed and cameras. From what I've heard, axis stress out the WT and stress kills the older WT.

It sounds like you have mixed brush and pasture. Exotics needs pasture for grazing and most don't know how to get away from predators in thick brush. Coyotes have gotten in and just massacred black buck in the past in thick brush and creeks. Black bucks were gone by the time I got there. Fallow fawns don't stand much chance either. Axis fair better. Check the fence often and control the predators. It's amazing how well the native WT fawns survive compared to the exotics.

Fallow do get along OK with the WT. They are cows though, expect lots of feed and they're pretty boring to hunt. The meat is great though. They are also extremely stupid and wrap their antlers in literally anything that gets left out. Extension cords, ropes, everything.

Cottonseed works well but it's a pain and the cost keeps going up. You may need to toss corn in the first time to get the deer eating it. I eventually went to timed protein to manage my time and money. Food plots are fun if you can manage the time but if you have a high density of animals it's hard to get to plots established before they get devoured.
2040huck
ag94whoop said:

Way too far to transport I would think.
I'm up by the red river just north of Gainesville
Might be worth the drive. Oryx are 1. Beautiful animals. 2 Very hardy. Most young survive. 3. Best eating animal there is. Some might argue axis and I wouldn't disagree.
ag94whoop
AG
Thanks for all the comments and info.
It's so tough with a lot of mixed info, though to figure out what to do.

Which exotic species would do best in the Texoma area?
My little place is only about 2 miles from the Red River in the rolling hills between Gainesville and Sherman.

I don't mind building thermal cover for axis if that would help keep them alive.

If I end up needing to stick with WT as only deer, I would want a grazer to compliment, probably some form of antelope. I would love Oryx but they are another desert species so I don't know how they would do. I've heard blackbuck breed like rabbits and I'm honestly not sure I can have enough hunts for them to manage if that's the case. I think Addax are cool too.
I'm just worried about the weather. Winters are a lot colder than in south Texas.

I'm curious about :
Axis
Fallow
Sika
Red Deer
Pere David deer
Scimitar Oryx
Addax
Kudu
Blackbuck
Aoudad or Mouflan

Any guidance would be helpful. Also if I decide to get something are there places up here in this area selling them or is everything in south Texas?

I would love Axis. They are my favorite but I am concerned about the cold weather and their mixing with WT.
rich1
AG
I know breeders near college station that sell live exotics. Huntsville livestock auction also has periodic sales if you have a trailer and can hall them.
https://www.huntsvillelivestock.com/
I could also put you in touch with the breeders near College Station. I'd be happy to sell some live red deer if interested but we would have to line someone up for darting them and transporting.
rich1
AG
This is the bad part about exotics and 24 inches of rain. Made for a long weekend but fortunately managed to keep all the animals in.
ag94whoop
AG
FSGuide said:

ag94whoop said:

Anyone in north Texas sell exotics?
I would hate to have to transport from south Texas

There's a place outside of Quinlan with a bunch of exotics in small pens. I'm assuming they're raising to sell. I'll be driving by there later today on my way home from work. I'll see if I any contact info is posted
Did you ever see the name of the place outside Quinlan?
weston.gooch
AG
Gulf Land & Wildlife breeds some great exotics. I'll send you a DM with direct contact info.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.