Casa Rods

20,597 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by AggiePirate
Rex Racer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The owners of Casa Rod said they will remain open and keep everyone employed until a sale is complete. If finances were that desperate, would they be doing that, or would they close immediately?

I'm not in the business, so I admittedly ask from a place of ignorance.
BiochemAg97
AG
Rex Racer said:

The owners of Casa Rod said they will remain open and keep everyone employed until a sale is complete. If finances were that desperate, would they be doing that, or would they close immediately?

I'm not in the business either, but sometimes staying open and taking a small loss is better than closing and having a big loss. For example, if the business has debt and staying open covers the debt payments with an operating loss that is less than the debt payments.
Rex Racer
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Rex Racer said:

I'm not in the business either, but sometimes staying open and taking a small loss is better than closing and having a big loss. For example, if the business has debt and staying open covers the debt payments with an operating loss that is less than the debt payments.
Excellent point.
snaglepuss
I need Polly's Cocina to bring back a Bryan location. Casa Rod building would be perfect for a return!
Horn_in_Aggieland
snaglepuss said:

I need Polly's Cocina to bring back a Bryan location. Casa Rod building would be perfect for a return!

Service at Polly's is nothing to brag about. Getting seated, drinks, and ordering takes a while. Food continues to be fine.
ElephantRider
AG
Its_Lu said:

Tienda mi ranchito is a hole in the wall with really good food.

Tienda Mi Ranchito is ****ing phenomenal.
ElephantRider
AG
I went to Casa Rod a few times late 2022/early 2023 and had good experiences. I thought they had turned a corner and were on the way back. Food was great and service was good by Casa Rod standards.

Went a few weeks ago, it was the opposite. Food was terrible and the service was worse.
GoodOleBryanBoy
Casa Rod's closing is sad. It used to be a family favorite, often going there several times a week. But don't get this twisted: Casa Rod closing has nothing to do with the parking in downtown Bryan or other restaurants opening but has everything to do with the poor service and food quality. Had the ownership there worked harder to restore the experience, it wouldn't have to close its doors.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Great time for Garcias to return! Still one of this towns great mysteries as to why a restaurant that was jam packed every evening would abruptly close their doors! It was soo good!
EMY92
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Great time for Garcias to return! Still one of this towns great mysteries as to why a restaurant that was jam packed every evening would abruptly close their doors! It was soo good!
Many small business owners are good at what they do, but not good at running a business. There are businesses that close everyday due to the owner not knowing how to set prices to make enough money to remain open, or do the paperwork needed to prevent the state from shutting them down due to failing to pay the proper sales tax amount.
halibut sinclair

If you're ever up in Denison, check out Kent's Tex-Mex, run by the original owners of Garcia's.
TexasAggie_02
AG
EMY92 said:

Many small business owners are good at what they do, but not good at running a business. There are businesses that close everyday due to the owner not knowing how to set prices to make enough money to remain open, or do the paperwork needed to prevent the state from shutting them down due to failing to pay the proper sales tax amount.
case in point, stover boys/square one
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
halibut sinclair said:

If you're ever up in Denison, check out Kent's Tex-Mex, run by the original owners of Garcia's.

Whoa! I did not know this. I never get to Denison but will keep it in mind
PS3D

It wasn't an accident. You can read the article about the closing (and attempted reopening here. Basically, the owners were struggling financially against a lot of new restaurants opening in College Station-Bryan at the time (the Harvey Road corridor alone was taking off with Kona Ranch, Johnny Carino's, and Rudy's).

Unless there was some sort of massive embezzling scheme going on, there was no way they were getting all 300 seats filled nightly.
JMac03
AG
Agreed. We almost walked out last time we went the service was so bad, and food wasn't great. I wouldn't mind walking to a restaurant that has great food and service. I've tried them several times and leave underwhelmed each time.
Spiderpig
Just got back from Casa Rod and it was solid, as almost always. Service was great, food was great, and portions were big especially for how cheap it is. It's in our regular rotation and I've only had a disappointing experience there once, years ago. They did just downsize their menu substantially and even though they no longer have my 'usual,' I was still able to order it anyway.
ZweiackerHolmes
Gonna have to hit it up while still can. If you are dowtown and need to use the restroom why not stop by and order a large queso to go?
Cola8d8
I've experienced less than stellar service more than some could say is acceptable, but Monday is $10.99 fajita for one all day long and I will take my chances on service at that price.
woodiewood
Casa Rod is good for Mexican food but most people want more than authentic Mexican food. An example would be Gringos which is a good dining eperience and timely service but marginal and over priced food....I know that I am in the minority here.

To me the small family owned Mexican restaurants are still the best. Even if you don't eat it, ask the hostess if they serve Menudo and carne guisada If not, go elsewhere.

Buford T. Justice
AG
No, I am with you. I think that Gringos is average at best, and grossly overpriced. I will never go back. My favorite Mexican restaurants are in a town about 20 minutes from CS.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
Buford T. Justice
AG
When did Gina's close? I can't remember.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
AggiePirate
AG
We went to Lupe Tortilla (aka original red lobster) and the food was as good as ever. Was a pretty peso but was a nice visit. It was a little cold outside, and you cannot ride the horse anymore.
MiMi
S
AggiePirate said:

We went to Lupe Tortilla (aka original red lobster) and the food was as good as ever. Was a pretty peso but was a nice visit. It was a little cold outside, and you cannot ride the horse anymore.

I tried Lupe's after they first opened and didn't care for it. Didn't go back for several years. But I kept reading the good reviews and had to try again. It was expensive, service was slow, and the food wasn't anything memorable. Thankfully, this area is replete with other good Mexican food options.
australopithecus robustus
The thread is a good reminder why the Pappas' were wise to not open Pappasitos here.
halibut sinclair
Lupe Tortilla is good food - best beef fajitas around.
JMac03
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Totally agree.
LightningDammitt
AG
JMac03 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Totally agree.

Steak Lupe and 3 Pepper Steak are even BETTER!
MyNameIsJeff
AG
And the playground for the kids is a huge draw for us.
AggiePirate
AG
ShelontheShelf said:

Is it gonna die? I am worried about it, I never got over Nortenos and this would break me
Congrats on the promotion! Who is going to take your role come Christmas now?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.