Kyle Dwyer and Asset Hero Finally Hammered via KBTX

39,434 Views | 145 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by BQ_90
TAMU1990
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He can't be a broker for 2 years and has to pay a fine. NEVER RENT FROM ASSET HERO. Go to Aggie Parent pages on Facebook. The warnings have been there for years.

They love to stick it to college kids at the end of leases. Charging $4000-$10,000 for NOTHING. He was trying to get his maintenance done on the backs of renters. Paint, blinds, new appliances, carpet, etc. You had to argue with him about charges. It was a scheme to keep the deposit and to take in additional money from unsuspecting parents.

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/05/02/real-estate-brokers-license-probation-after-commission-finds-proof-state-code-violations/

maroon barchetta
I've heard about their tactics for years and even steered some potential renters to the kind of information you referenced.

Is it a good idea for a real estate guy to try to lie, cheat, and steal from a population of renters who are reminded often that they should not lie, cheat, or steal or tolerate those that do?

Sounds like they did not tolerate it.

Good bull by everyone that reported misdeeds that were costing them extra.
Hornbeck
Aggies do not lie, cheat, or steal, or tolerate those that do. *

*Terms and Conditions apply. Does not apply to old Ag townies while doing business in the greater B/CS area.
Texker
AG
Yeah, glad we never rented an Asset Hero property. The stories online are infuriating. What a POS.
ratfacemcdougal
Sounds like he got off WAY to light. Should have been a $300,000.00 fine
maddiedou
AG
Well his maybe to the extreme but every management company in this town operates to some degree like Asset

Some charge 5 dollars a fan ceiling blade to clean

The managers job is to find every minute problem and to hold all deposit so they can use that to turn the unit for the next tenant

Now I will say it is crazy how some students leave these units but 4000 dollars (we could change paint color replace carpet and all appliances for less than that)

dallasiteinsa02
Their tactics were pretty similar to what I have dealt with as a tenant. We stopped cleaning because we knew regardless of what we did we were going to be hit with a cleaning charge. There are apartments that replace the carpet pretty much between every tenant and will hit each tenant for replacement. I got to the point that I just figured that my deposit was gone the minute I signed the lease.
The Brazos Kid
Makes tens of thousands of dollars over time.

Pays $3,000 fine.

"Justice".
maddiedou
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

Their tactics were pretty similar to what I have dealt with as a tenant. We stopped cleaning because we knew regardless of what we did we were going to be hit with a cleaning charge. There are apartments that replace the carpet pretty much between every tenant and will hit each tenant for replacement. I got to the point that I just figured that my deposit was gone the minute I signed the lease.

And yes that is what pisses me off that they make yall feel that way I have mostly grad students and they get 90-100 percent of their deposit back. If you want to keep somebody deposit just add it to the rent to cover make readies

It is kinda like the no deposit move in and people thinking no deposit what a deal and then they get hammered at the back in when they move out
FamousAgg
Thankful I rented from a great individual who wrote me a check for more (maybe $100) than my deposit because of how clean the place was when we moved out and into the home we own.
Hornbeck
The Brazos Kid said:

Pays $3,000 fine.

"Justice".

Hundreds of thousands. There's 80k+ college age kids in the greater B/CS area. I don't know how many properties asset hero manages, but, even if it's 500, if they squeeze $500 out of each... Quarter of a million right there.
MS08
farmersfight
AG
Couldn't have happened to a slimier person. We used his company for 2 years and after seeing the final papers, he was robbing both us and the tenants.

Wonder if there's a way we could pour our fuel onto that dumpster fire of a company and show the BS charges?
JMac03
AG
There's a link on Rusty Surrettes post to where you can make additional complaints. And it states something about it could be used to further the suspension or increase the charges.
gigemgolfer
farmersfight said:

Couldn't have happened to a slimier person. We used his company for 2 years and after seeing the final papers, he was robbing both us and the tenants.

Wonder if there's a way we could pour our fuel onto that dumpster fire of a company and show the BS charges?

File another complaint with TREC.

I'm damn proud to say that we were one of the complaints that got him in trouble finally and I agree with most people sentiment that he got off easy.

F'em and feed'em fish heads.
trouble
AG
gigemgolfer said:

F'em and feed'em fish heads.

It makes me irrationally happy to see someone else use this phrase. People always give me a funny look when I say it.
rsa
AG
The How to File a Complaint site hosted by TREC can walk you through the complaint process.
happyinBCS
250 a month for 12 months , what a joke, I think his wife just got her broker's license so nothing will change
BCSMom
My daughter is moving into a duplex that was managed by them previously. She just sent me the list of what they were trying to charge her for. Luckily, they switched management companies and she didn't pay them. Some of the fees they were trying to charge were $100 to amend the pet agreement.
doubledog
TAMU1990 said:

He can't be a broker for 2 years and has to pay a fine. NEVER RENT FROM ASSET HERO. Go to Aggie Parent pages on Facebook. The warnings have been there for years.

They love to stick it to college kids at the end of leases. Charging $4000-$10,000 for NOTHING. He was trying to get his maintenance done on the backs of renters. Paint, blinds, new appliances, carpet, etc. You had to argue with him about charges. It was a scheme to keep the deposit and to take in additional money from unsuspecting parents.

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/05/02/real-estate-brokers-license-probation-after-commission-finds-proof-state-code-violations/

When I was renting (in the 80's) this was very common. We just took for granted that we would never see our deposit back.
El_duderino
$3,000 fine. What a joke
happyinBCS
with a payment plan
rockelle
[We will allow discussions about the subject matter in the OP but we do not allow personal information from Facebook to be posted on this site and the next poster that does this will get a ban. That is the warning for the entire thread. -Staff]
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
LOL. This fool was the "manager" for a place we rented like 10 years ago. Dude was an unethical ******* back then too. I didn't know he had branched out into his own racket.
Hornbeck
Why rip off tens of people when you can rip off hundreds?
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
The Brazos Kid said:

Pays $3,000 fine.

"Justice".

This. He can still do real estate, just not as a designated broker. It's an insult.

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
BluHorseShu
AG
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

The Brazos Kid said:

Pays $3,000 fine.

"Justice".

This. He can still do real estate, just not as a designated broker. It's an insult.

Not if he gets any more complaints. My guess is his days as a licensed broker are dwindling. TNT properties manages where my son leaves and will be leaving in a couple of months. So we will see if we get the deposit back or if we have to file a complaint.
AG81
AG
My daughter and her roommates desperately wanted to rent a house from this guy. Biggest ahole I've ever dealt with. That makes him a world class ahole. I've dealt with the biggest, don't miss it.

So glad he got good due.
TAMU1990
AG
doubledog said:

TAMU1990 said:

When I was renting (in the 80's) this was very common. We just took for granted that we would never see our deposit back.

This guy was charging thousands of dollars above the deposit
Medaggie
[Please start a thread about that subject if you want to discuss it. Thank you. -Staff]
Independence H-D
Moved out of a place they managed a week ago. The property owner has taken the house back over. We were notified of this in the final month of our contract. I had to go put all utilities in my name for the final month. In other words, asset was no longer handling it. But, they did send me an invoice for utilities anyway. We had the home professionally cleaned by make ready crew. There were no damages to the house.

Their text:
Good morning! In order to make a payment for the remanding bills it will have to be in certified funds. This can be a money order or cashiers check. Unfortunately, when a property goes into "offboarding" you are technically "moved out". You will still have access to the portal for any documents but cannot make payments anymore. Please let me know if you have any questions!

My response:

When can I expect my deposit refund? I will also accept the same forms of payment.
maddiedou
AG
That is SOP on apartment management and even if you own a house and renting it out the last month should be a cashiers check or money order

I do not operate that way but I sure do understand management or individuals that do have that in place
JMac03
AG
I never even thought about that. We are fairly new to the rental game. We have always had good tenants but def something to think about.
maddiedou
AG
It is a good practice but unlike the above who probably just found out about by a email

Put it in the special provision of the lease and always remind residents when gets close to the end of lease

Communication is 90 percent of the game
JMac03
AG
Great info. And sorry for the emoticon face above. Not sure how they got selected.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.