BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

249,340 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by maroon barchetta
TyHolden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Classic Aggieland board

Get excited about a place opening

Immediately compare it to other restaurants it is not trying to emulate and run it down for not being those restaurants. And mostly without having stepped foot in the building yet.

I want to be surprised…
This and I'm guilty. I won't go until it slows down after graduation.
UhOhNoAgTag
South CS wants nice things but not pay for it. Good grief. Not a good selection of decent restaurants out south. I hope Varsity does well.
EBrazosAg
AG
As much as I want to support a new restaurant, it takes 60-90 days for the shakedown cruise to end and to really know what a place will be. Anything before that is taking a chance - and on the flip side deserves some understanding if not satisfactory…
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TyHolden
AG
EBrazosAg said:

As much as I want to support a new restaurant, it takes 60-90 days for the shakedown cruise to end and to really know what a place will be. Anything before that is taking a chance - and on the flip side deserves some understanding if not satisfactory…
yeah - agreed
maroon barchetta
drthoop said:

Wife and I are going to try it out this evening. It's just right around the corner from my house. Don't even have to get on the freeway. I'll let you know.

Oh and I'll let you know if it lives up to the: Varsity Grillhouse---Club Seats at Olsen.

Well?
tu ag
AG
The fact that they only have a couple of TVs is a plus for me. If I can actually have a conversation over a meal, good food, and all at a decent price, that is what I prefer.

Too many SUPER LOUD places for me.

Cue old man gifs...
UhOhNoAgTag
Agree. I too prefer a good meal over TVs.
TyHolden
AG
tu ag said:

The fact that they only have a couple of TVs is a plus for me. If I can actually have a conversation over a meal, good food, and all at a decent price, that is what I prefer.

Too many SUPER LOUD places for me.

Cue old man gifs...
You knew what you were getting into when you moved here.
Largest university in the US.
Known for the 12th man.
One of the largest and richest alumni.
If you are a sports bar, and I believe they are based off the name and owner, you need to cater to them. You can be upscale and have TVs.
You don't need to turn them up unless the majority is watching - Aggie football, basketball, world series, super bowl, etc. I left off baseball because the majority doesn't jump in unless we're winning or in the tournament. Maybe basketball fits in there as well.
UhOhNoAgTag
If it were closer to campus, I might could see your point. But since it's in an area of professionals or retired people, I don't see too many folks wanting to hang in a sports bar for events. Probably more likely to host events at their house or attend in person. I've been at Walkons during Aggie football games and it wasn't wildly crowded.
tu ag
AG
I can't find anything that says Varsity Grillhouse has marketed itself as a sports bar. Just a restaurant.
TyHolden
AG
tu ag said:

I can't find anything that says Varsity Grillhouse has marketed itself as a sports bar. Just a restaurant.
No idea. One of the owners is a former A&M swimmer class year 2021. I believe he's from Brenham. Maybe this is why everybody thought it was related to the restaurant in Brenham. There is also a Varsity Grill in Waller which a lot of people are confusing it with. Whatever. I hope it makes it.
Garhett_W
AG
tu ag said:

It's in the name… definition of varsity implies sports. (the principal team representing a high school or college in a sport or other competition)
TyHolden
AG
Garhett_W said:

tu ag said:

It's in the name… definition of varsity implies sports. (the principal team representing a high school or college in a sport or other competition)
Yes, but the picture shows old-school tennis so it may not be real sports I played tennis in high school and the US Open and Wimbledon are on the bucket list but the picture has more of an Ivy League look to it. So, again not sure. He was a swimmer so no idea what that means. I don't know many/any collegiate swimmers.
Thisguy1
tu ag said:

Their Facebook says it's a "celebration of the spirit of sports." Their name is Varsity Grillhouse. They are ironically enough (or maybe not?) practically in the Academy Sports and Outdoors parking lot.

If they aren't a sports bar, that's perfectly fine. But it's pretty easy to see why people may think they are. Don't they have a giant scoreboard in there? A buddy of mine did a lot of work in there and I feel like he sent me a picture of it when it was going in.
drthoop
AG
maroon barchetta said:

drthoop said:

Wife and I are going to try it out this evening. It's just right around the corner from my house. Don't even have to get on the freeway. I'll let you know.

Oh and I'll let you know if it lives up to the: Varsity Grillhouse---Club Seats at Olsen.

Well?
Food was good. I didn't think it was all that pricey personally. I had the CFS. Was good and didn't have a bunch of seasoning on it like so many places do. I'm from deep East Texas. We like ours to just be steak, breading, and gravy. Unfortunately, the gravy had "broken". Still tasted good but the texture was off. Same for the queso. Also they put the steak on top of my mashed potatoes. Makes it hard to eat. But as I said, the flavor was great.

Wife had ribeye fusilli. She said it was excellent. Great flavor and cooked just right.

We paid out and went around and sat at the bar for an hour or so. I like it. They have one seasoned bar tender and a couple who are learning. They did a great job.

We'll definitely go back to the bar soon. May give the food side a little time to iron out the kinks.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
techno-ag
AG
Sounds like a good sports bar.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Apologies for posting this on the Varsity Grill review thread, but another cookie place called Half Baked Goodness is going in the center with Nick the Greek and Mochinut at SW and Wellborn.

https://halfbakedgoodness.com/menu/
Thisguy1
UhOhNoAgTag said:

South CS wants nice things but not pay for it. Good grief. Not a good selection of decent restaurants out south. I hope Varsity does well.

Good grief is right. I'm from Bryan.

And I hope they do well too.
trouble
AG
So are we adding cookie places to the "nail salon, banks, Tex-mex, chicken strip" rant yet?
Captn_Ag05
AG
trouble said:

So are we adding cookie places to the "nail salon, banks, Tex-mex, chicken strip" rant yet?
It is about time. And it is too far from the bypass for good measure.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Did we talk about a Karma Kolache opening in the center next to Chicken Express on Wellborn? It looks like they have eight stores in the Houston area.

https://www.karmakolache.com/

Captn_Ag05
AG
Also, I think there was a Karma Kolache that used to work at the Dirty Sock.
JMac03
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Did we talk about a Karma Kolache opening in the center next to Chicken Express on Wellborn? It looks like they have eight stores in the Houston area.

This would make me happy, I'm not a huge breakfast food person, albeit it's out of the way for me.
Collectonian
Captn_Ag05 said:

A "kolache" place that only serves klobsnk and no actual kolaches... plus donuts. An interesting concept...

(apparently a more mixed style klobsnk including ones with pulled pork and mac * cheese)
Why yes, yes I really do run the best (and only) BCS ICEE Guide!
althormoon
I recall there was an announcement (I see articles from early 2022) about a Bojangles coming to BCS, but haven't heard anything since. Anyone know any updates on this?
trouble
AG
Those are certainly pastries of some sort but they aren't kolache.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Karma Pastries of Some Sort doesn't have quite the same ring to it.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I can't wait for football season when we can go get true, authentic kolaches at Karma Kolache for breakfast and then watch all the big games at the neighborhood sports bar, Varsity Grill.
trouble
AG
Stop pushing your luck over here
Captn_Ag05
MsDoubleD81
AG
Speaking of kolaches, not in BCS, but close enough, Weikels (from LaGrange) is now in Hearne.
TXAGBQ76
AG
I heard that last night, i also heard they used to have a place in BCS,
maroon barchetta
MsDoubleD81 said:

Speaking of kolaches, not in BCS, but close enough, Weikels (from LaGrange) is now in Hearne.

But if I want to buy them I find myself in Hearne.
legalbird
Kolache website is terrible. Shows people messing around.

I want to see the food and bakers, not some kid getting his face painted
trouble
AG
ALERT ALERT THIS IS NOT A DRILL

There is work happening at Chicken Oil! Large demolition trailer on site and piles of stuff in the parking lot! I'm try to get a picture next time I drive past.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.